DSLR used for astrophotography???

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: DSLR used for astrophotography???

Post by OzEclipse »

lsintampa wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:53 pm I have upgraded camera arriving tomorrow - if the weather permits, I'll be trying some new shots - taking into account the tips provided here.

Meanwhile, I had a total flop last night - all my bad - but this picture was taken with my D50, wide open, for 2 seconds of Venus. It's not a "good" shot, taken with a poor camera, but I'm curious what the blue spot is?

venus_202001151942.jpg
It's an internal or possibly external reflection of venus.
venus_202001151942.jpg
I've drawn two diagonals to mark the centre. Note that the reflection is diametrically opposed to Venus, exactly where a reflection should be.

Did you have a UV or skylight "protection" filter on the lens? The cheaper versions of these filters frequently produce these type of reflections because they don't have the same coatings as camera lenses.
If so, try it with the filter off.

Cheers

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
lsintampa
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

Post by lsintampa »

OzEclipse wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:50 am
lsintampa wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:53 pm I have upgraded camera arriving tomorrow - if the weather permits, I'll be trying some new shots - taking into account the tips provided here.

Meanwhile, I had a total flop last night - all my bad - but this picture was taken with my D50, wide open, for 2 seconds of Venus. It's not a "good" shot, taken with a poor camera, but I'm curious what the blue spot is?

venus_202001151942.jpg
It's an internal or possibly external reflection of venus.

venus_202001151942.jpg

I've drawn two diagonals to mark the centre. Note that the reflection is diametrically opposed to Venus, exactly where a reflection should be.

Did you have a UV or skylight "protection" filter on the lens? The cheaper versions of these filters frequently produce these type of reflections because they don't have the same coatings as camera lenses.
If so, try it with the filter off.

Cheers

Joe
Yes a UV filter on the lens.... I've always only kept them on so the lens itself is protected. Thanks!
The Skies Have It!

Celestron Omni XLT 102mm f/9.8, iOptron 150 MAK f/12, AVX Mount
lsintampa
Mars Ambassador

Post by lsintampa »

So my new camera is a Nikon D5300. It has live view which is awesome. However when I setup and point towards Orion (for example) all I see is black. There are no stars visable in the livev vew at all. Makes it near impossible to focus.

I had ISO at 1600, f4 18mm lens, 5"

Anyway. It seems I'm missing the point somewhere. I thought live view was to help focusing? Sort of hard when the screen is black with no stars in the view.

I took some shots anyway and obviously caught some stars.
The Skies Have It!

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hi Isintampa,

You will have to point the camera at a bright star or distant light, preferably while on a tripod or mount. Manually focus through the viewfinder to get close. Turn on live view on, move the camera to get a star or light in the center of the view. Press the “+” button (looks like a magnifying glass with a “+” in the middle) to zoom in on the star. Press the “+” button multiple times to zoom in as much as possible. Manually focus the lens with max “+” and place a piece of tape on the focus ring to hold it in place.

BTW, nice camera, I really like mine!

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
lsintampa
Mars Ambassador

Post by lsintampa »

So 15 seconds @ f/8 18mm shot of Orion

It has to get better than this - no?
_DSC8203_lzn.jpg
The Skies Have It!

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

lsintampa wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:54 am So 15 seconds @ f/8 18mm shot of Orion

_DSC8203_lzn.jpg
When you have optimized the focus, perhaps more exposure by increasing the iso, or setting the lens at the minimum aperture.

Are you using a tracking mount or stationary tripod?

Not a bad image though. How good are your skies?

Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
ARock
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by ARock »

lsintampa wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:54 am So 15 seconds @ f/8 18mm shot of Orion

Getting better. Try posting a link to the raw file either in google drive or dropbox.
AR
Scopes: Zhumell Z8, Meade Adventure 80mm, Bushnell 1300x100 Goto Mak.
Mount: ES EXOS Nano EQ Mount, DIY Arduino+Stepper drives.
AP: 50mm guidescope, AR0130 based guidecam, Canon T3i, UHC filter.
EPs: ES82 18,11,6.7mm, Zhumell 30,9mm FJ Ortho 9mm, assorted plossls, Meade 2x S-F Barlow, DGM NPB filter.
Binos: Celestron Skymaster 15x70 (Albott tripod/monopod), Nikon Naturalist 7x35.
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

_DSC8203_lzn.jpg
Hi I sin,
Why shoot at f8?
I concede that 1930's photographer Arthur Fellig said, "f8 and be there!"
But I am pretty sure he wasn't talking about astrophotography in 2020.

Don't be afraid to open the lens up.
Vivir con miedo, es como vivir a medias!

15s@f8 is the same as 4s@f4.
At f8, the depth of field will mask focusing errors.

cheers

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
lsintampa
Mars Ambassador

Post by lsintampa »

Juno16 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:05 am

_DSC8203_lzn.jpg
When you have optimized the focus, perhaps more exposure by increasing the iso, or setting the lens at the minimum aperture.

Are you using a tracking mount or stationary tripod?

Not a bad image though. How good are your skies?

Jim

Sky is zone 7. No tracking.
The Skies Have It!

lsintampa
Mars Ambassador

Post by lsintampa »

ARock wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:04 am

Getting better. Try posting a link to the raw file either in google drive or dropbox.

Link to raw file here:

The Skies Have It!

UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

That looks like either it was taken early in the evening at dusk, during a raging full moon, or your skyglow is incredibly high!
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
lsintampa
Mars Ambassador

Post by lsintampa »

UlteriorModem wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:00 pm That looks like either it was taken early in the evening at dusk, during a raging full moon, or your skyglow is incredibly high!
10:40 PM - last evening - no full moon (below the horizon)

might add that I don't have a skyglow filter
The Skies Have It!

UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Yea even with a sky glow filter your still going to have problems. The sky glow filter will require longer duration exposures I am afraid.

The only way your going to improve your results is to get out of the city to a darker site. But at least you now have the groundwork laid out so when you do go to a darker site you wont be fumbling around.
Tom

Current Equipment:
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Here I played a little with your image in PixInsight. This is about the best I can do with all that background noise!

One other thing I noticed was that there evidently was a lot of moisture in the air besides the obvious clouds. This just makes the skyglow even worse.

Image_DSC8203_ABE by Tom Whit, on Flickr
Tom

Current Equipment:
lsintampa
Mars Ambassador

Post by lsintampa »

UlteriorModem wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:33 pm Here I played a little with your image in PixInsight. This is about the best I can do with all that background noise!

One other thing I noticed was that there evidently was a lot of moisture in the air besides the obvious clouds. This just makes the skyglow even worse.
Well, it is Florida and we had a front coming through - was very cloudy - humidity (as always) high.
The Skies Have It!

Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baurice »

Strange how some of the replies are contrary to my own experience. I have little difficulty with finding focus without live view and even find live view on my Nikon D3200 is not that accurate. The short answer is to try everything that has been suggested and find what works for you.

I find that an undriven DSLR gives me more than enough things to snap without getting into long-exposure driven AP but then that's just me. We all have our own paths to tread.

The sort of objects that make good targets for this type of photography are:

1. Moon
2. Sun when it is active and you have filters
3. Phases of Venus (tough but doable)
4. Jupiter's moons
5. Saturn's moon Titan
6. Bright deep sky objects, such as M45, M42, M44, Melotte 20, M31, Melotte 111
7. Constellations
8. Meteors
9. Bright comets
10, Atmospheric phenomena: aurorae, rainbows, noctilucent clouds

I don't have a big budget. There's a myth around that as you get more experienced your budget gets bigger but mine is constantly shrinking!
ARock
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by ARock »

Hard to beat Tom's processing of the RAW file. But compare it with your naked eye view of the sky. I think you can see upto Mag 7 stars in the processed single shot. One way to lessen skyglow might be to take shots pointing up at the zenith.
A few next steps
1. Play around with zoom, aperture, focus, exposure time, ISO to see what works in your skies.
Get started with RAW processing
2. Take 20 shots instead of 1 with the same framing, and stack them in Deep Sky Stacker (DSS) (free)
3. Add Darks, Bias shots and add them to the DSS processing. (google how to take Darks, Bias)
4. Tweak the light curves and stretch inside DSS, or process the autosave file from DSS in gimp (free).

You can also upload Tom's processed file to nova.astrometry.net, to automatically platesolve and label the objects in it. This can be useful if you take shots of random parts of the sky, and have no idea what the stars/constellations there are.
AR
EPs: ES82 18,11,6.7mm, Zhumell 30,9mm FJ Ortho 9mm, assorted plossls, Meade 2x S-F Barlow, DGM NPB filter.
Binos: Celestron Skymaster 15x70 (Albott tripod/monopod), Nikon Naturalist 7x35.
lsintampa
Mars Ambassador

Post by lsintampa »

Tom, thanks for the processed file.... I uploaded it to http://nova.astrometry.net/ and it came up with a lot of stars, etc.

I took the same raw file and edited it with GIMP and came up with this:
202001181040_2.png
I noticed that in the image I processed that Betelgeuse is sort of orange/red - which makes sense. Other stars are of various colors - red / white / blue, etc.

The file that I processed fails every time I upload it to nova.astrometry.net ---- and I've no clue why that is.

In terms of "processing" the raw file, I have to admit I've no clue what I'm doing - so it seems that is yet another skill set I'll need to learn.

Is it just a matter of tweaking your raw file into something that is "appealing" or is there some method of how to "process" your files.

That said, I'm happier with the new camera.

Any comments on the file that I made, would be appreciated. Still trying to get a grip on it all.

Thanks!!!
The Skies Have It!

ARock
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by ARock »

Hmm, maybe it is taking too long on astrometry and timing out. I tried the jpg file from your last post on astrometry.net running locally on my laptop and got this
202001181040_2.png.solved-ngc.png
Look for youtube tutorials on how to process night sky astro images in gimp.
AR
metastable
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by metastable »

you've got a lot of light pollution / sky glow in your shooting location. also your aperture was f8.0... you'd want to use the smallest possible # here (wide open).