Nexstar 8 SE which accessories to get first?

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Kurbs
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: Nexstar 8 SE which accessories to get first?

Post by Kurbs »

John in SC wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:12 pm Following this thread closely as I am in the same situation. New Nexstar 8se, Celestron's eyepiece and filter kit, dew shield and have added the Starsense Auto Align which I am trying to get to work! (Long story, see my intro profile post).
I have 2 starsense units. 1 thing I noticed is you need to update the handset and motor controls or you may have issues. Frustrated me to no end at times. Some nights they work perfect, other nights it seems they never do.

I also notice when I use the handset to set it up it works great, but with a cell or tablet app it does not seem to like it.
Engineer. Plays with astronomy to teach the grand kids and neighbor kids.

2 Celestron Evolutions 8" and 6"
2 Celestron SLT 5"MAK and 130 Reflector
Meade ETX series 70, 90, 125 UHTC
Meade DS 102 Refractor
Meade Short tube 80 Refractor
Meade LX65 with 5" MAK and 80mm short tube
Meade DSX90
Meade DSI Pro, ZWO120MC, SVNONY SV205 and SV305, and Inova NEabul Cooled CCD cams
tons of eyepieces from all walks of life
Celestron Binoviewers
Celestron WIFI, home cobbled Bluetooth wireless for remote control
BigKahuna United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by BigKahuna »

Nobody mentioned a external power source. Either AC or DC. I use the Tslentcell 6000 Lithium battery sold by Amazon that is a little bigger than a deck of cards but lasts all night. Others use the Celestron Power tanks.. The AA batteries on the unit itself only last a few hours if that is your only power source.
Telescopes/Mounts : Explore Scientific ED102 or Celestron C6N on AVX, 8SE OTA on ASGT, NexStar 114GT/AZ, Meade ETX-90EC w/ Observer Base, Orion XT10i
Binoculars: Pentax 10x50
Camera : ZWO 533MC Pro, Canon EOS Rebel T6, ZWO ASI224MC

Clear Skies,
Ron
Member ASTRA-NJ

Kurbs
Earth Ambassador

Post by Kurbs »

BigKahuna wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:38 pm Nobody mentioned a external power source. Either AC or DC. I use the Tslentcell 6000 Lithium battery sold by Amazon that is a little bigger than a deck of cards but lasts all night. Others use the Celestron Power tanks.. The AA batteries on the unit itself only last a few hours if that is your only power source.
Hey Bigkahuna. I also use the Telentcells. Have about 5 of those. Extremely portable and cheap. Amazon sells the 6K for about 30 bucks. The only reason I did not mention it was he wanted to use a laptop and wanted power for it as well.
Engineer. Plays with astronomy to teach the grand kids and neighbor kids.

2 Celestron Evolutions 8" and 6"
2 Celestron SLT 5"MAK and 130 Reflector
Meade ETX series 70, 90, 125 UHTC
Meade DS 102 Refractor
Meade Short tube 80 Refractor
Meade LX65 with 5" MAK and 80mm short tube
Meade DSX90
Meade DSI Pro, ZWO120MC, SVNONY SV205 and SV305, and Inova NEabul Cooled CCD cams
tons of eyepieces from all walks of life
Celestron Binoviewers
Celestron WIFI, home cobbled Bluetooth wireless for remote control
Psalm 19
Earth Ambassador

Post by Psalm 19 »

Hello All,
Thanks for the replies.

Smitty,
Thanks for the explanations. I apologize for taking so long to respond. It isn't as if I'm that busy, but it seems whenever I thought about replying I find myself getting distracted. I did have the scope out once but want to start a new post to discuss that.

BigKahuna,
In my initial post I said that a power unit was one thing I knew that I would need. Have since ordered a power unit and dew shield.
God Bless All of You,
Joe >)))))*> :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupright:
Power Ranger
Earth Ambassador

Post by Power Ranger »

An excellent 2" diagonal to replace the existing 1.25 diagonal. Celestron makes a really good one or any big brand names. Also a 2X barlow. Will make a huge difference to your viewing pleasure. Get a wide angle 20 - 32 mm eyepiece to use with the 2" diagonal. Will feel like you got a new 8" SCT.