Carrying All of This Stuff?

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
SpaceCadet65
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Carrying All of This Stuff?

Post by SpaceCadet65 »

Hi All-

This seems like a silly question. But I recently purchased a Sky-Watcher Evostar 72 and an Orion Sky View Pro mount. While the scope came in a nifty aluminum case, I now have all of these pieces that need to be stored and carried in an organized and safe way. Then there are the eyepieces, and hopefully soon a camera, and cables. Does anyone have any recommendations for reasonably priced tripod bags, cases for the tracking mount, counterweights, and all of the other various gear? What's your strategy for storing and keeping everything organized so it is accessible in the dark, and nothing gets left behind?

Also, if you have any pictures of your astro-luggage/organizers, that would be really helpful.

Thanks!

Glen
Celestron Nexstar 8SE controlled by SkyPortal and iPad
Sears 6344-4 76mm f/15.8 Achromatic Refractor
AWB One Sky on Orion StarBlast Mount and WiFi Control
Orion 102mm f/6.5 Achromatic Refractor
Alvan Clark 18" f/22 Achromatic Refractor (kidding - just making sure you're awake!)
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 591

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Carrying All of This Stuff?

Post by helicon »

I searched Harbor Freight "case" and came up with a number of carrying case designs to haul stuff around, including eyepieces camera and whatnot, soft foam interior that you can customize to fit your gear snugly.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

I have small plastic container for each set of accessories (eyepieces, camera, autoguider, mount, collimation). Each of these go into a plastic tote. I don't use anything for protection just throw it all in there. Works great, I never forge anything and is space efficient.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
SpaceCadet65
Earth Ambassador

Post by SpaceCadet65 »

Michael-

That's a great idea - the foam lined cases. Maybe look at that for the mount as the tracking motors look pretty vulnerable to getting knocked about. SkyHiker's suggestion of the plastic bins is good to for the small stuff.

Thanks guys!
Celestron Nexstar 8SE controlled by SkyPortal and iPad
Sears 6344-4 76mm f/15.8 Achromatic Refractor
AWB One Sky on Orion StarBlast Mount and WiFi Control
Orion 102mm f/6.5 Achromatic Refractor
Alvan Clark 18" f/22 Achromatic Refractor (kidding - just making sure you're awake!)
gregl
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by gregl »

I, too, use Horrible Fright cases and toolboxes, as well as an old gym bag. The tripod flies naked.

One of our club members says the hobby is not about astronomy. It's about carrying cases.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

I'll put this out here before Bryan does. It's a handy device to have and it collapses flat it's great for moving stuff around.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail- ... iIQAvD_BwE

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I have a small Apache pluck foam case for my EPs from Harbor and a larger one for my ST80. I recommend them.

I don't have tripod bags / cases, but some people use microphone stand or musical instrument cases or bags. Never really looked, so not sure what might be a good deal.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Jay6821 United States of America
Earth Ambassador

Post by Jay6821 »

Like JayTee I also have a collapsible wagon I picked up on Amazon. My wife liked it so much for her photography hobby that we ended up buying a second wagon for her.

Not only is it a great way to transport equipment, but I also put stuff in there during the night as I observe, lens caps, binoculars, whatever, so I don't need to worry about leaving anything behind in the dark when I finish for the night.
Celestron NexStar Evolution 8, StarSense AutoAlign, 1.25 "Stellarvue Dielectric Diagonal, Celestron X-Cel LX eyepieces, 2" Celestron diagonal, 2" Luminos eyepieces

Celestron Wedge, Canon EOS 7D

Oberwerk 20x65 ED Deluxe binoculars, Oberwerk 8x42 Sport ED binoculars, Oberwerk Series 4000 tripod with Series 5000 head, Oberwerk Series 2000 monopod (for airline travel)
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

SpaceCadet65 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:04 pm ... Also, if you have any pictures of your astro-luggage/organizers, that would be really helpful.
I've used one of these for years...
https://www.wood-wonders.com/eyepiece/

Here's mine ready to go to the desert...
CASE OPEN.jpg
CASE UNFOLDED.jpg
Clear, Dark Skies
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
musiclucho
Earth Ambassador

Post by musiclucho »

Provisionally, I have a small suitcase that holds my OTA (SCT), EQ mount Head, RACI and some of the mount parts. I could have put foam in between but the way I carry it, does not call for additional protection.
路易斯 LG
SCT 6" on a CG4 EQ mount. 8x50 RACI and RDF. 9mm X-Cel LX, 15mm Luminos and 40mm Omni.
Carton Lux 10x42 Binoculars.
My astro-adventures and sketches: http://pollutedskiesstargazing.blogspot.com/

A full appreciation of the universe cannot come without developing the skills to find things in the sky and understanding how the sky works." Alan Dyer
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Neewer make reasonably priced long bags in a range of sizes up to 35" suitable for smaller tripods or refractors. The 21" bag costs about USD8.00 and fits my ED80 perfectly.
This is a link to a range of Neewer photo bags including some of the long bags.
https://tinyurl.com/ttej3pv

When I started out and only had a few 1.25" eyepieces, they all travelled in a wooden card file box with a foam inlay that I cut with a utility knife. As the collection grew I had to make new arrangements.

For many years now, my 1.25" eyepieces travel in a cheap plastic divider box (screw organizer) that I bought from the hardware. It is about halfway between the size of an A4 and A3 page. If it fits in the compartment neat, I use little to no padding. If the partition is too big, I'll use a small piece of foam next to it to stop it rattling around. Each partition is only just over 1.25" deep so no padding under the eyepieces.

In the last five years I have acquired a number of 2" eyepieces including some Nagler "hand grenades" [31mm and 17mm Naglers] These 2" eyepieces are all camera lens sized and so I carry them in a small padded camera bag insert.
https://tinyurl.com/vdvtyxd

My 8" cassegrain travels loose on the back seat held in place by my padded freezer suit

My EM200 equatorial head just sits loose in the trunk but travels laying on a folded old woollen blanket to protect it from the bumps with nothing on top.

The large wood tripod for my EM-200 mount and a large Manfrotto 475 tripod both travel in the roof boot not wrapped in anything padded but the base of the roof boot has a blue tarp and foam camping mat on the bottom.

I have another camera padded bag that holds hand paddles, sky fi, cables, APPS polar alignment laser, spare batteries, etc.

I see some people here and on other forums have hard padded cases for everything. If I put everything in large hard cases with loads of padding around it, I'd need an small truck to transport it. I have a small Ford Focus. My regular observing site is 75km from home so the gear travels back and forth regularly.

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
Cookie
Earth Ambassador

Post by Cookie »

After I got a case from Harbor freight, I went to Home Depot and picked up a collapsible hand truck to lug everything around.
Explore Scientific ED-102, Celestron AVX mount, ES 2" Enhanced Diagonal, Celestron Ultimate LX 2" 22mm EP, , Pentax SMC FX 8.5, 2" ES 25mm 70*, ES 18mm 18*, ES 3-6mm zoom, Celestron UHC filter, DGM 1.25" OIII filter, DGM 2" NPB filter, 2" Orion Variable Polarizing filter, Canon 7D MK II.
:observer:
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Another thought - get a plastic toolbox and some extruded foam insulation (green, blue or pink), not the white beadboard stuff. Cut foam to fit box and add cutouts for EPs and such.

Not as soft as pluck foam, but pretty inexpensive.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s