Mono-coatings vs Multi-coatings

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
joggerman
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Mono-coatings vs Multi-coatings

Post by joggerman »

I have read several comments regarding the apparent merits of multi-coatings over mono-coatings on binoculars, including some who have praised the excellent viewing from their monos, even some vintage glass without any coatings.

As an example of mono coating, there is the admittedly cheap Olympus DPS-1 10x50 which seems to have a large following and high ratings?

What are the advantages of coatings, multi or mono?
Apart from light gathering, are there any real advantages?
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Mono-coatings vs Multi-coatings

Post by KathyNS »

I bought some mono-coated 10x50 binos at a pawn shop. Good quality optics, but I couldn't look at anything bright, such as Jupiter, because of the internal reflections and glare. Multi-coatings make a huge difference.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

joggerman wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:34 am I have read several comments regarding the apparent merits of multi-coatings over mono-coatings on binoculars, including some who have praised the excellent viewing from their monos, even some vintage glass without any coatings.

As an example of mono coating, there is the admittedly cheap Olympus DPS-1 10x50 which seems to have a large following and high ratings?

What are the advantages of coatings, multi or mono?
Apart from light gathering, are there any real advantages?
I would not buy those Olympus binoculars. They have an eye relief of 12mm. I sold my Oberwerk LW 15x70 for more aperture and eye relief, and purchased the Zhumell 20x80. Below will be my next pair of binoculars, which will replace my Celestron Cometron 7x50. Click the images.
Attachments
image 2.PNG
image 1.PNG
j.gardavsky Germany
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by j.gardavsky »

Regarding the coatings, most importatnt is on the Porro prisms binoculars, that all optics surfaces are fully multicoated (FMC.
Herewith will the maximum contrast, maximum transmissivity, and no ghosting achieved.
Still higher quality binos are broadband fully multicoated.

Lots of the binoculars declared as FMC, or even broadband FMC, have not multicoated prisms, so they are fake FMC, with visible ghosting on bright objects.

Best,
JG
6" F/5 Sky-Watcher achro, 2" BBHS Star Diagonal, 2" zenith prism, 1.25" Takahashi prism
Leica 82mm APO Televid
Eyepieces: Docter UWA; Leica B WW and WW Asph. Zoom; Leica HC Plan S and L, monocentric; Pentax SMC XW, O-, XO; Tak MC O, Carl Zeiss B WW, and Pl, E-Pl, S-Pl, W-Pl;
Swarovski SW; Baader Symmetric Diascope Edition; Nikon NAV SW, ; TMB supermonocentric; Rodenstock; Vixen HR; TV Delos
Filters: Astrodon, Astronomik, Baader, Balzers, Zeiss West and East, Lumicon
Binoculars (7x42 up to 15x85): Docter Nobilem, Leica Ultravid, Nikon Astroluxe, Swarovski EL Swarovision; BA8 (Kunming Optical)
joggerman
Earth Ambassador

Post by joggerman »

j.gardavsky wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:39 pm Regarding the coatings, most importatnt is on the Porro prisms binoculars, that all optics surfaces are fully multicoated (FMC.
Herewith will the maximum contrast, maximum transmissivity, and no ghosting achieved.
Still higher quality binos are broadband fully multicoated.

Lots of the binoculars declared as FMC, or even broadband FMC, have not multicoated prisms, so they are fake FMC, with visible ghosting on bright objects.

Best,
JG
I am currently tempted by the Pentax SP 12x50 WP because of the reported high quality of the 10x50s.
http://binocularsky.com/reviews/Pentax_SP_10x50.pdf
Do you have an opinion on these? They are currently £159 in the UK.
I particularly like the internal central focusing system and the focus lock.
I would probably mount them on a monopod for astro.
j.gardavsky Germany
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by j.gardavsky »

These Pentax look good to me.

Generally, the low cost Pentax binoculars have small AFOV, like 50°.
The price sounds very good,

JG
6" F/5 Sky-Watcher achro, 2" BBHS Star Diagonal, 2" zenith prism, 1.25" Takahashi prism
Leica 82mm APO Televid
Eyepieces: Docter UWA; Leica B WW and WW Asph. Zoom; Leica HC Plan S and L, monocentric; Pentax SMC XW, O-, XO; Tak MC O, Carl Zeiss B WW, and Pl, E-Pl, S-Pl, W-Pl;
Swarovski SW; Baader Symmetric Diascope Edition; Nikon NAV SW, ; TMB supermonocentric; Rodenstock; Vixen HR; TV Delos
Binoculars (7x42 up to 15x85): Docter Nobilem, Leica Ultravid, Nikon Astroluxe, Swarovski EL Swarovision; BA8 (Kunming Optical)
joggerman
Earth Ambassador

Post by joggerman »

j.gardavsky wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:16 pm These Pentax look good to me.

Generally, the low cost Pentax binoculars have small AFOV, like 50°.
The price sounds very good,

JG
I still have a slight issue, whether to purchase the 10x50 (exit pupil 5mm) or the 12x50 (exit pupil 4.2mm) !
Everyone likes a bit more magnification, but will I really notice the difference?
What are the pros and cons of the options as you see them?

Thanks
j.gardavsky Germany
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by j.gardavsky »

joggerman wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:16 am ...
I still have a slight issue, whether to purchase the 10x50 (exit pupil 5mm) or the 12x50 (exit pupil 4.2mm) !
Everyone likes a bit more magnification, but will I really notice the difference?
What are the pros and cons of the options as you see them?

Thanks
I would take the 12x50, lots of the clusters and nebulae will become better visible.

Best,
JG
Leica 82mm APO Televid