New here looking for our first telescope

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
MariaBatey
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

New here looking for our first telescope

Post by MariaBatey »

Hi,

I’ve posted this in the introductions forum but I can’t see my post I am looking for advice please. .

My husband and I just purchased our first home together. We have fields behind us and good visibility at night.

He is very interested in the moon & night sky and I have decided to get him a telescope for Christmas, he’s not very big on technology so if it’s relatively easy to use then that would be a bonus , however I am good with instructions and tech so I can always help him.

I’m wanting something to hopefully see planets I.e Saturn’s rings, I’m not sure what price I would need to spend but my budget is 200-250 max really as it’s his first telescope.

He’s never done any telescope viewing (lol) before so any advice would be welcome. I have seen some that look good that work with apps?

Also I have a canon 700d camera would be awesome if we could use that to take pics- I’m probably asking for too much now!! Haha

Thank you xx
OleCuss
Mars Ambassador

Re: New here looking for our first telescope

Post by OleCuss »

Welcome to the forum!

The most important thing to do when choosing a telescope is to go to a few star parties with your local astronomy club. This is the best way to start to learn what actually fits your goals and modes of observing. It really cuts down on a category of mistakes.

If that will not be your primary approach?

We can help you best if you tell us more about what you wish to see and your budget. How your typical observing might go is also rather important.

Take Saturn as an example? You generally only need about 20x in order to tell that Saturn has rings. You can do that with a cheap telescope. But a whole lot of people are far happier with their view of Saturn if they are using a good scope which will deliver 200x or more - some are pushing for much more than that.

The thing is, the useful magnification which a telescope can deliver is largely dependent on the aperture of the telescope. This means that if you want to be able to use 60x you need to get a good scope with an objective lens or mirror with a diameter of 60mm or more. If you want to go to 200x you should plan to get a scope with an aperture of 200mm or more. Don't believe the magnification which so many sellers put onto the boxes where you can get something like 675x with a 50mm objective - technically they are correct but the magnification is not useful and you'll only see a mess.

The simplest scope for you to get which will give you very good optics and is pretty affordable with decent aperture? That's the Sky-Watcher 150P. The aperture is decent, it is pretty easy to transport, it works nicely with the relatively inexpensive Plossl eyepieces. You take it outside, set it on the ground, let the temperature of the scope and outside temperature roughly equalize (may mean no time or up to 30 minutes most of the time) - and it is ready to go.

At the other end of things? You get the Stellina. It will cost about $4000 and the aperture is not all that good. But it is a highly technical instrument which is very easy to use. It is only made for viewing with a camera (what I call Observational AstroPhotography or OAP). You take it outside and put it on its tripod, turn on the switch and it will sort out itself and the sky. You then tell it what you want to see and after a few minutes you'll be getting the view on your smartphone.

Refractors tend to be the easier OTAs (Optical Tube Assemblies) to work with. You take care of them and you will likely never have to collimate them or do anything other than infrequent cleaning. The good ones are not cheap. As you go to bigger ones they get very expensive, heavy, and ergonomically difficult.

SCTs (Schmidt-Cassegrain Telescopes) and MCTs (Maksutov-Cassegrain Telescopes aka Mak-Cas) tend to have long focal lengths and thus narrow FOVs (Fields Of Views). They can be a good value and can put a fairly large aperture in your hands without getting all that heavy and bulky. Some of us do find that if you get about 8-10 inches that they are more of a pain to use because especially at 14" they are pretty big and heavy - some versions effectively need 2 people to put them up on their tripod.

We have to mention the Newtonians. They can be the best value. That Sky-Watcher 150P has relatively "slow" optics and that means the views are very good quality and collimation is relatively easy. A lot of people get bigger Newtonians with faster optics and collimation gets a bit more difficult/finicky and you have more aberrations.

Sorry, that is sort of the short version. But I'd emphasize that going to star parties is the best way to sort this all out. There is nothing like trying out a variety of telescopes on a variety of targets to learn what you want and what it is actually worth to you.

Edit: I should point out that most of us who live quite far North of the equator expect to have relatively poor views of the bright planets for several years. When visible they will mostly be low in the sky which means you are looking through a lot of atmosphere near the horizon and the views will be less clear.
Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

Per your budget, this kit would be your best bet, in so far as aperture: a Newtonian-Dobson...

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobson ... onian.html

For low-to-zero maintenance, yet with a smaller aperture, a refractor...

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/evosta ... 0-eq2.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/evosta ... 0-az3.html

You would need to purchase a proper, star diagonal for the alt-azimuth kit, and for use at night. The diagonal included is for daytime-terrestrial use. Avoid the short, compact refractor kits.

This tabletop Newtonian-Dobson is rather popular... https://www.firstlightoptics.com/herita ... xtube.html

A Maksutov-Cassegrain... https://www.firstlightoptics.com/maksut ... ronto.html

Despite its short, compact tube, that one has a rather long focal-length, which would make it more difficult to hunt for objects, yet is very good for up-close views, day and night.
"Look, son! Up there!" His son shouted back, "I see it! What is it?" The father regaled, "The galaxy! Andromeda! Our origin, our destiny!" And so the boy was hooked, and for the rest of his natural life.

"Desserts tend to corrupt, and absolutely delicious desserts corrupt absolutely." - Chef Acton

Alan :Astronomer1:

Apochromat: Takahashi FS-102 4" f/8 - Achromats: Meade S102 102mm f/5.9, Antares 805 80mm f/6(flocked & blackened), Meade "Polaris" 70mm f/12.9, Sears(Towa) #4-6340 50mm f/12(flocked & blackened) - Newtonians: Orion 6" f/5(flocked & blackened) - Catadioptrics: Explore Scientific 127mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain, Celestron "PowerSeeker" 127mm f/8 "Bird Jones" reflector(modified, flocked, blackened, and collimated!) - Mounts: Meade LX70(EQ-5), Astro-Tech Voyager I alt-azimuth
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

I fully endorse Alan's first choice of the 150mm Dob. This scope will give you the brightest and most detailed image of all the scopes he listed. The only caveat to owning a Newtonian reflecting telescope is that you will have to learn how to collimate the optics. If you are tech savvy as your post declares, then this will not pose an obstacle for you. Besides, it is a fun exercise when two people are involved in the process.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Hello Maria and welcome :)

The 150mm posted above would be a good starter and will let you see and keep you busy viewing for a long time.
These are not the best for photography but various platforms are available to allow you to image through the eyepiece itself.
This is called A-focal photography and there is a lot of information available for it.

Download a free copy of Cartes du Ciel or Stellarium, both excellent planetarium programs to help you find what is viewable for you.
Another web based site is Calsky.com, this site will generate a list of viewable objects for your location as well as best time to view. (Set it for Hobby though)

Ask any other questions that come to mind and enjoy :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

Go to a few star parties first and try everything out. Biggest mistake I made was buying a large eq mount for my 120mm f8 refractor. Never really liked the thing. Eventually I will add a tracker to it for high magnification tracking on star doubles, planets and the moon at home. I am a casual observer and enjoy moving around a lot. So an AZ mount will always be my preference at dark sites. I like Dobs too, but not the diffraction spikes they create. Click the image below.

Attachments
image.PNG
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

That is a balance, you do not want to buy so cheap that you are more frustrated than fascinated.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
smp United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

Post by smp »

Hi Maria, and welcome here to the Forum!

With your budget, I suggest you also consider the Astronomers Without Borders One Sky.
There’s a review here:
app.php/article/review-of-awb-onesky

Good luck and clear skies!

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
Telescopes: Questar 3.5 Standard SN 18-11421; Stellina (EAA)
Solar: Thousand Oaks white light filter; Daystar Quark (chromosphere) Hα filter
Mounts: Explore Scientific Twilight I; Majestic heavy duty tripod
Local Club: New Hampshire Astronomical Society
russmax
Mars Ambassador

Post by russmax »

I like the Skywatcher 150p that Sky Tinker recommended as a first telescope. It is very versatile, giving you good views of the moon, planets, and fuzzies in the deep sky. They both have everything you need to get started, and are good quality, though you will end up buying more eyepieces, later.

I really recommend a few more items, too. 1) A headlamp that includes red & white LED lights. 2) An app for your smartphone to help you find things and learn the sky. I use SkySafari, which is pretty cheap. Avoid the free apps. 3) A pair of binoculars, with at least 42 mm diameter main lenses. 4) _Turn Left at Orion_, a book that will really help you get started.

--Russmax
----------
Celestron AVX 8" SCT & Omni XLT 102 AZ
depratnt United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by depratnt »

Another plus one for the skywatcher 6" dob! cheap, nice size aperture, and portable! A good refractor would be the Meade StarPro 102mm. Lighter weight and a tad more portable. you get ore aperture with the 6" dob thought. Both are great choices
Scopes: GSO 8rc
Mount: iOptron CEM60
Camera: ASI1600mm-PRO
Guide cam: QHY5L-ii monochrome
Filters: Astrodon Ha/Oiii )3nm) / LRGB
l
MariaBatey
Earth Ambassador

Post by MariaBatey »

Hi.

Thanks so much for the recommendations, I have just ordered the Newton dobsonian (sp?) so hopefully we will be able to set this up and enjoy it added a moon filter too was only £9 but sounded like a good idea 🤔😂.

Thanks for all the advice. Will stick around I’m sure you’ll be hearing from me between Christmas and new year asking how to get the thing working. Excited to explore the night sky! Xx
Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

MariaBatey wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:04 am Hi.

Thanks so much for the recommendations, I have just ordered the Newton dobsonian (sp?) so hopefully we will be able to set this up and enjoy it added a moon filter too was only £9 but sounded like a good idea 🤔😂.

Thanks for all the advice. Will stick around I’m sure you’ll be hearing from me between Christmas and new year asking how to get the thing working. Excited to explore the night sky! Xx

A 150mm f/8 Newtonian is easier to collimate than many others. You may want to check its collimation upon arrival, particularly if the views seem off or other, but don't let that worry you. The kit offers great value for the price. You get a 2" focusser for one, and for which you can get just one 2" eyepiece, for your lowest power and largest view of the sky; for example...

https://www.f1telescopes.co.uk/shop/eye ... -eyepiece/ (a low power of 21x, and binocular-like)

The eyepiece would also allow for the hunting of the dimmer objects in the sky, and to see the Pleiades star-cluster and the galaxy in Andromeda during the fall and winter; also to scan the star-fields of the Milky Way in summer. There are deep-sky objects to spot and observe within those star-fields as well.

One more nice thing about the kit: at f/8, the telescope will not require costly, corrective eyepieces for sharp and pleasing views, with most if not all well under £100 each.

The kit does not come with collimation tools. A collimation-cap is really all you need in the beginning, and perhaps ever...

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/other- ... n-cap.html

There are quite a few collimation tutorials online for Newtonians.

I have to wonder as to the purchase of a Moon-filter. For one, when the Moon is at full-phase, there's little if any detail to be seen. There's far more detail to be had when the Moon is at quarter and half phases, and at those phases the Moon is not quite as bright...
Lunar Phases - brightened.jpg
Instead, you might find a variable-polariser more useful, and for dimming Jupiter and Venus; Jupiter, to see its subtle colours and surface features; and Venus, to see its Moon-like phases. It can also be used for the Moon itself, although our eyes can't be damaged by observing the Moon at full-phase in any event. A variable-polariser is like a dimming-switch for indoor-lighting, but for celestial lights in the sky instead...

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/an ... r-125.html

You simply screw it onto the bottom of an eyepiece, then twist to adjust the level of brightness...
variable polariser7b.jpg
variable polariser7b.jpg (23.99 KiB) Viewed 2606 times
The polariser will also reduce and even eliminate the diffraction-spikes caused by the secondary spider-vanes...
101915 - Jupiter.jpg
101915 - Jupiter.jpg (8.02 KiB) Viewed 2606 times
Before and after the polariser...

Now, the polariser is only good for a handful of objects, and an accessory to consider if you find it interesting.
"Look, son! Up there!" His son shouted back, "I see it! What is it?" The father regaled, "The galaxy! Andromeda! Our origin, our destiny!" And so the boy was hooked, and for the rest of his natural life.

"Desserts tend to corrupt, and absolutely delicious desserts corrupt absolutely." - Chef Acton

Apochromat: Takahashi FS-102 4" f/8 - Achromats: Meade S102 102mm f/5.9, Antares 805 80mm f/6(flocked & blackened), Meade "Polaris" 70mm f/12.9, Sears(Towa) #4-6340 50mm f/12(flocked & blackened) - Newtonians: Orion 6" f/5(flocked & blackened) - Catadioptrics: Explore Scientific 127mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain, Celestron "PowerSeeker" 127mm f/8 "Bird Jones" reflector(modified, flocked, blackened, and collimated!) - Mounts: Meade LX70(EQ-5), Astro-Tech Voyager I alt-azimuth
MariaBatey
Earth Ambassador

Post by MariaBatey »

Wow this is all amazing advice. A lot of it is beyond what I know but I’m trying to learn. I will order the collimation cap now - I don’t know how to use any of it but I’m sure we will be back asking for advice. Just wanted everything to get started and then we can add on things as we go! Thanks again. I really really appreciate your advice. X
Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

I have a 150mm f/5 Newtonian-Dobson, a bit shorter than your own, yet more difficult to collimate...
6 f5w2a.jpg
6 f5w2a.jpg (10.37 KiB) Viewed 2539 times
The kit was produced by the same manufacturer overseas as your own; Synta of China.

This is the scene from my own, and through the collimation-cap...
collimation1a.jpg
collimation1a.jpg (14.41 KiB) Viewed 2539 times
That's the entire optical-system at a glance. All of the components on the inside of the tube are present. At f/8, you may see your scene more like this...
6 f8 coll. scene.jpg
6 f8 coll. scene.jpg (9.79 KiB) Viewed 2539 times
In both cases, the telescopes are collimated.