Input request on first scope

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Input request on first scope

Post by notFritzArgelander »

lsintampa wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:52 pm So the XLT 102 and EQ mount came today. Seems I have a lot to learn.....

Curious though why a collimation eyepiece came with this refractor???
Sometimes refractors need collimation.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
lsintampa
Mars Ambassador

Post by lsintampa »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:09 pm
lsintampa wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:52 pm So the XLT 102 and EQ mount came today. Seems I have a lot to learn.....

Sometimes refractors need collimation.
Told you I have a lot to learn. Thanks!
The Skies Have It!

Celestron Omni XLT 102mm f/9.8, iOptron 150 MAK f/12, AVX Mount
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Congrats! Playing with it and learning is the fun part. And as Gabby said don't by any of those bundled color filter sets, they are useless.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
russmax
Mars Ambassador

Post by russmax »

Collimation piece? That is weird. I'm jealous of your telescope & mount, btw.
--Russmax
----------
Celestron AVX 8" SCT & Omni XLT 102 AZ
ARock
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by ARock »

russmax wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:00 am Collimation piece? That is weird. I'm jealous of your telescope & mount, btw.
--Russmax
I was surprised to hear about the collimating eyepiece as well, given that I don't see it in "whats in the box" at highpoint. But I see this in the celestron knowledge base which might be of use. Although you probably don't need to do it in the first year of ownership :)

https://www.celestron.com/blogs/knowled ... -telescope

Congrats on the great first scope !!

Two other items to get you started....
  • Stellarium (free on PC/Mac) a wonderful planetarium program.
  • The book "Turn Left at Orion" (used copies on Ebay for about $5 shipped are fine), which will help you get started on what objects to attempt to see and how to see them.
AR
Scopes: Zhumell Z8, Meade Adventure 80mm, Bushnell 1300x100 Goto Mak.
Mount: ES EXOS Nano EQ Mount, DIY Arduino+Stepper drives.
AP: 50mm guidescope, AR0130 based guidecam, Canon T3i, UHC filter.
EPs: ES82 18,11,6.7mm, Zhumell 30,9mm FJ Ortho 9mm, assorted plossls, Meade 2x S-F Barlow, DGM NPB filter.
Binos: Celestron Skymaster 15x70 (Albott tripod/monopod), Nikon Naturalist 7x35.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

A refractor collimating eyepiece is handy if the telescope ever takes a hard knock or fall.
You will be able to check that the lens are still centered, nice that they included it as they normally do not anymore.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
russmax
Mars Ambassador

Post by russmax »

I couldn't agree more. In fact, I have Stellarium open in another window right now, and I found Turn Left at Orion very helpful the last time I took a telescope outside. My star mapping app while viewing is SkySafari Plus on my smart phone, however. I wouldn't trade it.
--Russmax
[/quote]
Two other items to get you started....
  • Stellarium (free on PC/Mac) a wonderful planetarium program.
  • The book "Turn Left at Orion" (used copies on Ebay for about $5 shipped are fine), which will help you get started on what objects to attempt to see and how to see them.
[/quote]
----------
Celestron AVX 8" SCT & Omni XLT 102 AZ
Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

The 102mm f/10 achromat of your kit comes with the ability to collimate the objective, to align the center of the doublet-lens with the center of the focusser and eyepiece...

...front to back, from one end to the other.

There are three sets of push-pull screws round the objective, which tilts same. It is expected that the collimation is spot-on when it leaves the factory and arrives at its destination, but that may not always be the case. The tool you received may look like this...
Tectron Cheshire.jpg
Tectron Cheshire.jpg (11.92 KiB) Viewed 2463 times
If so, you place the tool into the focusser and shine a pen-light into the side of the tool. You then peer through the small hole at the top of the tool, and you should see something like this...
collimation - final2.jpg
In the end, you want to see the dot precisely in the center of the circle, there in the center of the collimation-scene, and for the sharpest images. In addition, the protective dust-cap must be placed over the front of the telescope when testing.

Refractors actually require the least amount of maintenance, in the form of collimation. Many refractors cannot be collimated, given a refractor's simplicity and tightness of construction...

Still, I prefer that a refractor be collimatable, just in case.
"Look, son! Up there!" His son shouted back, "I see it! What is it?" The father regaled, "The galaxy! Andromeda! Our origin, our destiny!" And so the boy was hooked, and for the rest of his natural life.

"Desserts tend to corrupt, and absolutely delicious desserts corrupt absolutely." - Chef Acton

Alan :Astronomer1:

Apochromat: Takahashi FS-102 4" f/8 - Achromats: Meade S102 102mm f/5.9, Antares 805 80mm f/6(flocked & blackened), Meade "Polaris" 70mm f/12.9, Sears(Towa) #4-6340 50mm f/12(flocked & blackened) - Newtonians: Orion 6" f/5(flocked & blackened) - Catadioptrics: Explore Scientific 127mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain, Celestron "PowerSeeker" 127mm f/8 "Bird Jones" reflector(modified, flocked, blackened, and collimated!) - Mounts: Meade LX70(EQ-5), Astro-Tech Voyager I alt-azimuth
Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:08 pm I have issues with reviews such as this.
1. If he realized they sent him the wrong telescope why did he not return it for the right one?
Meade sells both a 102mm f/5.9 and a 102mm f/6.5, dumb things happen.

Here is a clearer and closer image from that review...

It seems to be the same OTA as that of the Meade "Infinity" 102mm f/5.9 achromat. Meade does not offer a 102mm f/6.5 achromat, according to that specs-label within that review; only Celestron(Synta) does.

Have a look at this listing... https://www.meade.com/polaris-114mm-ger ... ector.html

..."Aperture: 114mm Reflecting Telescope with f/8.8 Focal Length".

I have that kit, and purchased last year. This is the specs-label from my own...

specs.jpg
"Look, son! Up there!" His son shouted back, "I see it! What is it?" The father regaled, "The galaxy! Andromeda! Our origin, our destiny!" And so the boy was hooked, and for the rest of his natural life.

"Desserts tend to corrupt, and absolutely delicious desserts corrupt absolutely." - Chef Acton

Apochromat: Takahashi FS-102 4" f/8 - Achromats: Meade S102 102mm f/5.9, Antares 805 80mm f/6(flocked & blackened), Meade "Polaris" 70mm f/12.9, Sears(Towa) #4-6340 50mm f/12(flocked & blackened) - Newtonians: Orion 6" f/5(flocked & blackened) - Catadioptrics: Explore Scientific 127mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain, Celestron "PowerSeeker" 127mm f/8 "Bird Jones" reflector(modified, flocked, blackened, and collimated!) - Mounts: Meade LX70(EQ-5), Astro-Tech Voyager I alt-azimuth
lsintampa
Mars Ambassador

Post by lsintampa »

Thanks everyone! I just got two more lenses - 9mm and 32mm - not top of the line - but decent celestron omni lenses. I've done a "rough" polar alignment. Having some difficulties getting the finder scope that came with - to align align consistently - but close enough. So far, aside from Polaris, all I've really observed is the moon - since it's a very easy target. Trying to learn how to use the mount to "find" other objects at this point. I think I get it, but I've got questions about my mount.

1. This should be the easier question. The mount moves (left to right) slightly when both DEC and RA clutches are locked. Is this normal? Here is a link to a short video showing the movement i'm asking about. https://photos.app.goo.gl/76coWfGdFb1Ewbu69

2. This is a tough one. How the heck do you set / read the dials on the RA settings?

I have an elementary understanding of RA, but I have a difficult time understanding how the "dials" on the RA work. Attached is a photo of the RA dials. There is the Vernier Scale (stationary) that is used to set the hours of RA. Then there is a large dial (presume for hours) that can be locked down with a locking screw. My understanding is that you have to align RA by putting some known object in center of your view, dial the hour to the Vernier Scale to the zero mark, then lock it down. Then there is another dial that I have no idea of what it is. It runs from zero to 12 - and it DOES NOT lock down.

Next is the polar finder scope area - that has a white notch on it - I assume that's for a polar scope - which I don't have for now.

RA is measured in hours / minutes / seconds. I can understand the larger dial - to set hours / minutes with help from the Vernier Scale - seconds seems rather moot.

What is the smaller dial for? It freely moves either by hand and or when I move the telescope on the RA axis.

Can't seem to get image thing to work.... link here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WJBC5mnwTvx6nLJv7
The Skies Have It!

lsintampa
Mars Ambassador

Post by lsintampa »

ahhh here is the photo of my RA dials.....
ra_dials.jpg
The Skies Have It!

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Page 15 has a good explanation for setting these though you may want to try star hopping instead.
https://inter-static.skywatcher.com/upf ... 546576.pdf

If you are just doing visual I would not bother with a polar scope and just center Polaris in the bore hole.
More than close enough.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
lsintampa
Mars Ambassador

Post by lsintampa »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:44 pm Page 15 has a good explanation for setting these though you may want to try star hopping instead.
https://inter-static.skywatcher.com/upf ... 546576.pdf

If you are just doing visual I would not bother with a polar scope and just center Polaris in the bore hole.
More than close enough.
OK, I get it. But, I'm trying to learn and understand stuff for the future. Since I posted my questions, I've figured out that the outward facing dial on RA for now is meaningless. The larger dial would be set once you locate an object and know it's position. Match it up with the larger silver dial, then use RA and DEC settings to get you close to other objects. That's my understanding at this point.

Still have the question about the video link I posted that shows how the mount moves left to right. Not sure if that's normal????

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EzAR5fAwMwB5Kit8A
The Skies Have It!

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

It appears your mount is moving in azimuth.
There should be a rectangular pin that sticks up from the mount that the two azimuth knobs go on either side of.
When adjusting the polar alignment you center Polaris (left/ right) by adjusting these two knobs then snug them so the mount does not move.
Adjust latitude knob up or down to center Polaris and then forget those exist while using the mount.
Gabrielle
lsintampa
Mars Ambassador

Post by lsintampa »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:19 pm It appears your mount is moving in azimuth.
There should be a rectangular pin that sticks up from the mount that the two azimuth knobs go on either side of.
When adjusting the polar alignment you center Polaris (left/ right) by adjusting these two knobs then snug them so the mount does not move.
Adjust latitude knob up or down to center Polaris and then forget those exist while using the mount.
There is a pin and the mount sits over it. The two azimuth knobs are as tight as they can be. If you look at the video, the mount still moves (azimuth). I don't think it should. I'll take the mount off and take more photos. But I'm sure I have it on properly. Still moves - not a lot - but it does move.
The Skies Have It!

lsintampa
Mars Ambassador

Post by lsintampa »

Got it!.... there was a washer that needed to go inside the mount opening. I had it on the outside of the mount. With the washer in place "inside" the mount opening - she's tight now.

OK, I think I'm good now.
The Skies Have It!

Sky Tinker
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Sky Tinker »

The setting-circles for both axes are little more than decorations, if at all. I have the same mount, the Celestron CG-4(EQ-3)...
before-after.jpg
Note that I had added a pier to the mount, which prevents the refractor from colliding with the hub and legs of the tripod when pointing the telescope at the zenith, directly overhead. Later, there on the right, I cut the pier down from 16" to 8.5", as I had felt that it was a bit too tall, for my purposes.

This is the pier-extension, which fits the CG-4 like a glove...