Help with my first scope

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
mansunz
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Help with my first scope

Post by mansunz »

Hi all. I would like some advice on my first proper scope. Currently, i am viewing via a SW 114 / 1000 Newtonian Telescope in a suburban environment. I have bought a set of Meade series 4000 EP kit that is currently on its way which hopefully would last me a few years. I had my mind set on a 10" DOB. However, I would like to explore all options before i commit to it. I am entertaining the idea of getting a CAT. At this stage, i am fascinated by DSO. From my point of view these are pros and cons:

Pros:
- Potentially one less upgrade cycle
- Easier to store the scope, if i were to go with the DOB i would have to leave it in the garage which gets scorching hot during summer.
- Potentially higher height clearance
- Less obvious to the missus (oh trust me this is important)

Cons:
- Cooling time seems longer?
- Higher upfront cost (by quite a bit .....)

Unfortunately, it is difficult for me to try it out with the local astronomy club (I have young family....) and would likely resort to just backyard viewing. A second hand CAT (say 8") would still cost more than a brand new 10" dob but I would consider it if the versatility and performance gains are worth the extra $$. Once again, appreciate any assistance to get a newbie on the right track. Cheers
Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Help with my first scope

Post by Baurice »

An 8" cat is very expensive. I have a 5" Maksutov and LOVE it. The 10" Dob would show more deep sky objects, though.
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

Is there really a big wow difference in like grasp between a 8" and 10" dob. The 10" dob/f5 will require expensive eyepieces. Until more play money funds become available, you can barlow all your eyepieces for better edge correction. Collapsible dobs save a lot of space and may cool down quicker. Amazon pays for return shipping.

Attachments
image.PNG
Last edited by Refractordude on Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

Pi * R^2 is the answer.
so - given that Pi is the same - the difference is 4^2 vs 5^2 or 16 versus 25 or about a 150% more light gathering ability for the 10 over the 8. Personally I find my 8" Newtonian easy to transport. I'd like to move to a 10" Newt. But a 12" is out of the question - it gets too big/awkward/heavy. The theoretical limit of an 8" Newt is 13 Mag in my Bortle 5 skies using a 40mm eyepiece. A 10" brings it down to 13.2. See this calculator: http://www.cruxis.com/scope/limitingmagnitude.htm. Not a lot of extra bang for the buck.

Good luck!
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Let's get the general wisdom out there for all the newbies to absorb. When it comes to upgrading your mirror, typically, 4" is what is required for the human eye to see a noticeable difference. So from an 8" reflector you would need to go up to a 12" reflector to see a significant visual difference. When it comes to refractors the general wisdom is 2 to 2.5 inch increase will show you a significantly better view. So 80mm to a 102mm will not give you as much of a difference as 80mm to a 127mm refractor.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Thefatkitty »

JayTee wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:47 pm Let's get the general wisdom out there for all the newbies to absorb. When it comes to upgrading your mirror, typically, 4" is what is required for the human eye to see a noticeable difference. So from an 8" reflector you would need to go up to a 12" reflector to see a significant visual difference. When it comes to refractors the general wisdom is 2 to 2.5 inch increase will show you a significantly better view. So 80mm to a 102mm will not give you as much of a difference as 80mm to a 127mm refractor.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
JT

Exactly. I went from an 8" to a 12", and there was a huge "wow" factor for the magnification. However, there was also a huge Wow factor in increased weight and less portability. I traded for a 10", and really, the 10" is just a wider field of view with a few things more apparent than my old 8". And a little heavier.

As for refractors, not to knock JT's advice; but I have three fracs at f/11; a 60mm, 80mm and a recently acquired 102mm. The difference 20mm's makes for me is another Wow factor. That could also be due to my light pollution; it might not make as much of a difference under dark skies. Could also be my old eyes :lol:

At any rate, an 8" dob would be a lot less obvious/intrusive to the significant other. And as for cooling times, I leave my Skywatcher 10" in the shed all year with temps ranging from -40C to +40C; this way it's always acclimatized. Yours should be fine :D

Hope this helps and all the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Hi Mark,

I profess the 2 to 2.5 inch (~50mm) increase based on the fact that a 20mm jump just did not give my old eyes the wow factor. Plus I have read that number range on other sites.

From my own experience I have a 70mm, two 80mm and two 102mm refractors and yes there's a difference between the 80 and the 102 but not what I would call wow. I have viewed through a 127 next to my 80, at a dark site, from that I got a WOW.

Anyway, it's all subjective. :telescopewink:

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

GONKO
Earth Ambassador

Post by GONKO »

I went from a 114 celestron to an orion 8 inch dob. The amount of stuff the dob can pick up compared to my 114 is off the chart. Not to mention a much more stable base if comparing to the alt az mount.
The 8 inch also fits in the car boot once off the base, and the base can go in bedside it, do transporting is doable. This was a big one for me. A larger scope would not fit.
But if you plan on not transporting or have a large truck/ wagon car, then a 10inch come into play....but more awkward to move and handle.
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Good advice and comments above. However, I'd like to address your storage concern...
mansunz wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:27 pm ... if i were to go with the DOB i would have to leave it in the garage which gets scorching hot during summer.
I live in the Mojave Desert where summer time temps regularly reach 115 deg (F). My garage temps usually run in the high 120's. I've stored my 10" Dob in the garage for a decade... no issues at all.

Orion sells a padded carry/storage bag that protects the tube from insects that like to climb inside. The bag has a serious carrying strap that allows me to easily transport the tube by carrying it over my shoulder.
ORION CARRY BAG.jpg
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Storage for a Dob is quite easy as John points out. Neither high or low temperatures effect it. The only concern I would have is exposure to moisture, so be sure to store in a dry environment.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N