Astro Photography

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
By-tor
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Astro Photography

Post by By-tor »

I'm interested in Photographing the moon and whatever else I can through a telescope. I'm a clean sheet of paper with no knowledge of this hobby..

I use the Fujifilm X mount camera system and would like to mount one of my bodies to a telescope and maybe do HDMI out to a monitor or TV.

I would like to start out with something on the cheap, but not total garbage.

I'm not looking for something that can see into the future just something to get some good pictures with.

Can someone suggest a telescope that would work for me?

TY
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Astro Photography

Post by Star Dad »

Photographing the Moon is quite different from Deep Sky Objects or even planets. So advice on a telescope depends on what you want to photo. My scope is great for the Moon and DSOs, but is of very limited use for planets. You need long focal length for planets to magnify them enough to be of use. A focal photography can be used - and I've had several people take phone camera shots afocally through my 9mm lens (110x). But doing standard AP through my telescope results in very tiny planets - not worth taking at all. So, I think we need more info. I think most folks here would agree that you really need two different setups (telescopes) for DSO and planetary AP.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Photographing the Moon is as close as you're going to get to a "point and click" approach to astrophotography. Every other object is as far away from "point and click" as you could possibly get. It takes specialized equipment and it's not easy. It doesn't mean you can't do it, it's just that you have to adopt a mentality that it's a long and usually an expensive journey requiring specialized equipment to get there.

I don't mean to harsh your buzz, just injecting a little reality here.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Lokifish
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Lokifish »

I wrote a long post about how a wide field rig would be a good start and not cost a lot of money (respectively), then I saw the part about HDMI to a TV. It sounds like you want to do one shot or real time imaging of targets. If that's the case then let us know, that's a fairly specialized area of astrophotography.
Russ
A.K.A "Backyard Observatory" on Facebook and Youtube

Meade SN8 w/ DIY coma corrector, Astro Modded Rubinar 1000/10 @f/5.2, 130/5 Newtonian, Pentax SMC 200/4, Canon SH 30/1.7
SkyWatcher EQ6-R Pro, Modified Celestron SLT
183 OSC, 224 OSC, Canon 1100D, Sony NEX-3
Nikon 7-12 zoom, a lot of DIY/salvage eyepieces
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

For the Moon you can get any scope and just point and click as JT said, no special gear such as a motorized tracking mount needed.

For DSOs it's a whole different story, one where a tracking mount is needed because you probably want to try exposure times of 10 to 30 seconds. Many of us would recommend the AVX for that, it is a beginner/intermediate level mount. A 6" or 8" astrograph would work well for a low price, see the Orion website, look for "reflectors for astrophotography". For instant viewing you need a low F ratio such as the F/4 of those scopes. The 8" will give you a larger image.

I have a Fuji X-a1 myself, I have never figured out how to display a picture on my TV. If you know how to, I would like to hear.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Voyageur
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Voyageur »

Pretty sure you can connect the camera to a TV using a cable with HDMI micro or mini (not sure which) connected to the camera and regular HDMI connected to the TV for playback of images or video already recorded and saved.

I do not think it is possible to record video or photos with the camera using a TV as a live display, i.e. EAA or NRTV.

I'm not sure which you had in mind, but it sounded like the latter, and I don't think that is possible.
Scopes: Vixen VMC200L, D=200mm, F=1950, f/9.75; Televue 2" Everbright diagonal. Coronado PST; AstroTech EDT 80mm, F=480, f/6.
Mounts: Vixen SXW/Starbook (original); Stellarvue M2C alt-az.
Eyepieces: Televue: 55mm Plossl, 22mm Panoptic, 17.3mm Delos, 13mm Nagler, c. 1980, 11mm Plossl, 7mm Nagler, 5mm Radian; Meade 15mm Super Plossl; VERNONSCOPE 2.4X BARLOW
Binoculars: Leica 8x32 Trinovids, circa 1997; Orion Megaview 20x80, Orion Paragon Plus mount.
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

Voyageur wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:06 pm Pretty sure you can connect the camera to a TV using a cable with HDMI micro or mini (not sure which) connected to the camera and regular HDMI connected to the TV for playback of images or video already recorded and saved.

I do not think it is possible to record video or photos with the camera using a TV as a live display, i.e. EAA or NRTV.

I'm not sure which you had in mind, but it sounded like the latter, and I don't think that is possible.
I think what the OP wanted is to just open the Fuji shutter for X seconds then there is an image recorded in the DSLR's flash. Then browse the flash and display the image on the TV that you hauled outside. Makes sense to me.

I tried what you said on my Fuji but it didn't work for unknown reasons. I will try it again right now!
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Voyageur
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Voyageur »

Let me know if it works. I feel that I did this with my little Sony some time ago, but I can't try it now because I don't have the right cable here with me in Mexico.
Scopes: Vixen VMC200L, D=200mm, F=1950, f/9.75; Televue 2" Everbright diagonal. Coronado PST; AstroTech EDT 80mm, F=480, f/6.
Mounts: Vixen SXW/Starbook (original); Stellarvue M2C alt-az.
Eyepieces: Televue: 55mm Plossl, 22mm Panoptic, 17.3mm Delos, 13mm Nagler, c. 1980, 11mm Plossl, 7mm Nagler, 5mm Radian; Meade 15mm Super Plossl; VERNONSCOPE 2.4X BARLOW
Binoculars: Leica 8x32 Trinovids, circa 1997; Orion Megaview 20x80, Orion Paragon Plus mount.
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

When ever one of these posts come up I always think back on my own learning curve!

Always recommend this series of videos for the beginner!

This is the first of a multi part series, I suggest looking at them all :D

Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

Voyageur wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:59 pm Let me know if it works. I feel that I did this with my little Sony some time ago, but I can't try it now because I don't have the right cable here with me in Mexico.
Ah it works! Last time I tried it I must have forgotten to press the "Play" button on the camera.

So I guess you can only display it with HDMI if you're not taking a picture. Maybe it's possible to hook it up with a USB cable to a laptop and display it while taking another picture.
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

I would recommend the essential tracking (heq5 or avx )mount and a refractor over 400mm fl ,not particularly cheap ( 1.5 k to 2 k price range, but that way you have more options to track some dso objects as well. i think as a beginner who would be interested in imaging and digital observing that this would be a gratifying choice.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Baurice »

Look up "afocal projection", which is a posh term for "sticking a camera at a telescope eyepiece". I did this for several years and still use it sometimes for solar photography. Also Google "Tony Buick" who was a pioneer at this many years ago.

If you have a DSLR you can attach it to a telescope using a T-ring and adaptor unique to your camera. It is just like using a DSLR with camera lenses, except that the focal length is much longer. By using two Barlow lenses, I have used an effective focal length of over 9 metres.

As for feeding a live view to a monitor, you can use a webcam or an "electronic eyepiece". I use a Bresser Electronic Eyepiece, which sends live images to a laptop. You can also save the live images to a movie file.
depratnt United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by depratnt »

I have written up a little article explaining most of what you need to know to make a first dive into this hobby! GOOD LUCK! Astrophotography is extremely rewarding as it is frustrating. And also very very fun. :)

https://depratnt.wixsite.com/astrophotography
Scopes: GSO 8rc
Mount: iOptron CEM60
Camera: ASI1600mm-PRO
Guide cam: QHY5L-ii monochrome
Filters: Astrodon Ha/Oiii )3nm) / LRGB
l
Lokifish
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Lokifish »

Right now I think we are shooting in the dark (pun intended) until we get some clarification from the OP. As it stands, everything from a startracker and some primes to a full on AP rig would get the job done.
Russ
A.K.A "Backyard Observatory" on Facebook and Youtube

Meade SN8 w/ DIY coma corrector, Astro Modded Rubinar 1000/10 @f/5.2, 130/5 Newtonian, Pentax SMC 200/4, Canon SH 30/1.7
SkyWatcher EQ6-R Pro, Modified Celestron SLT
183 OSC, 224 OSC, Canon 1100D, Sony NEX-3
Nikon 7-12 zoom, a lot of DIY/salvage eyepieces
By-tor
Earth Ambassador

Post by By-tor »

I may have settled on a scope to start with. The Celestron NexStar 4se.

Has anyone used one of these?

Thank you all for posting..
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

The 4SE is an alt az mount. You could use it for lunar imaging or short duration of bright deep sky objects. Other than that it wont work well for astrophotography.

If you plan on getting into AP to any depth you will quickly outgrow the alt az mount.

If there is any one thing you should NOT skimp on for AP it is the mount. It really is "ALL ABOUT THE MOUNT!" I personally went through three mounts till I got one I was satisified with.

Here is part 2 of Forrest Tanaka's videos where he discusses mounts.

Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
By-tor
Earth Ambassador

Post by By-tor »

UlteriorModem wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:15 pm The 4SE is an alt az mount. You could use it for lunar imaging or short duration of bright deep sky objects. Other than that it wont work well for astrophotography.

If you plan on getting into AP to any depth you will quickly outgrow the alt az mount.

If there is any one thing you should NOT skimp on for AP it is the mount. It really is "ALL ABOUT THE MOUNT!" I personally went through three mounts till I got one I was satisified with.

Here is part 2 of Forrest Tanaka's videos where he discusses mounts.

Great video. Learned a lot that I didn't know.. There is a lot more to this than I ever thought and not sure I want to get that deep into the hobby or spend a lot of money to give it a try...

Thanks for posting..
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

By-tor wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:41 amThere is a lot more to this than I ever thought and not sure I want to get that deep into the hobby or spend a lot of money to give it a try.
You are a good listener and a wise individual for admitting that upfront. We are always here to answer any more questions and provide advice where needed.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

By-tor
Earth Ambassador

Post by By-tor »

JayTee wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:04 pm
By-tor wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:41 amThere is a lot more to this than I ever thought and not sure I want to get that deep into the hobby or spend a lot of money to give it a try.
You are a good listener and a wise individual for admitting that upfront. We are always here to answer any more questions and provide advice where needed.

Cheers,
JT

Thanks