Site rules (a refresher)

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
SparWeb Canada
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Site rules (a refresher)

Post by SparWeb »

Hello,
Sorry to bring this up if it is supposed to be obvious. My memory isn't what it used to be. I remember a list of site rules when I signed up to TSS, but I can't find that written down any more. Could you refresh me on the details?
- How long a new member is on probation
- How long for moderators to review posts before they are posted
- Limits on things like number of links or photos per post
- How long before new members are allowed to post to certain forums

It can get quite detailed. Hopefully there's a way for someone to answer me without typing for an hour. If there's any interest in doing so, these kinds of rules could be added to the "RULES" button at the top right menu, since it seems to me to be the obvious place to write all of this stuff. The prohibition against politics is a good idea, and exactly where I'd want to start, too. That's why it seems like a good spot to put the rest of the site rules, such as the ones I listed above.
Steven Fahey
51.248N, 113.53W, 995m ASL
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IALBERTA147
Canon 6D (unmodified) + Lunt 4" (102mm) achromat refractor (7.1 focal ratio) + Celestron AVX mount
SparWeb Canada
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Site rules (a refresher)

Post by SparWeb »

Oh - and the reason I ask is that I'd like to post a new topic in the Reviews forum but I can't.
Should I assume that it's because I'm still new, here?
Steven Fahey
Canon 6D (unmodified) + Lunt 4" (102mm) achromat refractor (7.1 focal ratio) + Celestron AVX mount
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Not sure exactly, but take a read of the first thread in the "Reviews and Articles" forum.

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=1771
SparWeb Canada
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SparWeb »

Maybe I misunderstood something.
Do site administrators manually move posts to that forum when they decide it's a "review" worth setting aside?

Any thoughts on the first question?
Steven Fahey
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

SparWeb wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:35 am Maybe I misunderstood something.
Do site administrators manually move posts to that forum when they decide it's a "review" worth setting aside?

Any thoughts on the first question?
Yes that is how this works.

Administration places your submission after they have passed it for publication in "Reviews and Articles".

Easy . 👍

Write it up and submit away, Steve.

On the first question, I don't recall a post count threshold for submitting to "reviews/articles"
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

- How long a new member is on probation
Normally a persons first five posts, we are trying to find a happy medium, originally it was 10 postings. Everyone has full access when they sign on, just the moderation of first five postings
- How long for moderators to review posts before they are posted
We try to get them posted as quickly as they arrive, it does not always happen as we have day jobs (not inline at work) and are in different time zones.
It is 06:30 for me right now :)

- Limits on things like number of links or photos per post
I do not know if there is a limit on how many at the moment, I would have to check with the admin
- How long before new members are allowed to post to certain forums
Certain forums such as reviews and articles we wish to proofread for clarity.
Since we have a membership that speaks many different languages some terms and descriptions do not translate well so we will either change some words or ask the author to change it.

Hopefully this has helped, also if anyone wishes to volunteer their time let us know :)
Site rules are pretty much the same as at AF.net but if the occasion needs addressing we will have to put them into writing.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1043

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

Just to add to Lady Fraktor's comments. All new members are automatically assigned to the "Newly Registered Members" group. There are just a few limitations in place just in case a spammer gets through. We have a number of safeguards for this but 99% of us came from another forum that did not have safeguards and is now overtaken with spammers. So we are just a bit over cautious. As far as how many images can you add per post. If the images are attachments you can add quite a few. I'm not certain why you would want to as it would become very difficult to read in a single post. In regards to 'closed forums' yes we have a couple. Our Vendor forum is closed to all members to create a new topic, members can comment on a vendors topic but not create a new one as the area is reserved for vendors. Also as mentioned our Articles and Reviews area is closed to new topics. Each of these forums have specific rules that are outlined in the header for the specific forum.

It's our desire to keep "Rules" to a minimum the questions you ask are more in the realm of FAQ (frequently asked questions) many of those answer can be found in one of the following areas:

Click on the small question mark at the top of each forum page. This will take you to the FAQ area which has help in location many of the board functions.

The forum "Forum Tips and Tricks" viewforum.php?f=29. This has a many topics on things we have added to the forum to help our users.

Hope this helps to answer your questions.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

SparWeb Canada
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SparWeb »

Thank you everyone! (oh yea, there's a button for that, too. Gotta remember to click it)

I'm a member of several forums. Going by the differences they all have (a lot of differences) I think that your "Rules" button is a good idea. It's something that I might take to the other ones should they ever have trouble with members not following the site rules.

So I still suggest writing a more detailed page to come up when the "Rules" button is clicked. Start with the message that's already there, then include the membership agreement that new members agree to during the sign-up process. Then add any other details that aren't in that message, such as the ones Lady Fraktor listed.

Yes IME almost all internet forums are run by volunteers, except the few associated with supporting users of some product or service.
Steven Fahey
Site Admin
Site Admin

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

SparWeb wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:34 am Thank you everyone! (oh yea, there's a button for that, too. Gotta remember to click it)

I'm a member of several forums. Going by the differences they all have (a lot of differences) I think that your "Rules" button is a good idea. It's something that I might take to the other ones should they ever have trouble with members not following the site rules.

So I still suggest writing a more detailed page to come up when the "Rules" button is clicked. Start with the message that's already there, then include the membership agreement that new members agree to during the sign-up process. Then add any other details that aren't in that message, such as the ones Lady Fraktor listed.

Yes IME almost all internet forums are run by volunteers, except the few associated with supporting users of some product or service.
I'm sure you are aware that you agreed to this when you signed up as it is part of the registration process: ucp.php?mode=terms
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC

SparWeb Canada
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SparWeb »

Absolutely. Thanks for pointing that out, I had not known where to find it.
But I have to look elsewhere from the RULES button to find it - at the bottom of the page I see the link to Terms, now.
I hope you get my subsequent point. When one clicks a link named "RULES", one would expect to find all of the rules. Not just some of the rules.

This may be one of those things that's hard to see when you're 6 inches away from it, but is obvious when you step far back.
Steven Fahey
Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baurice »

If you break the unwritten rule, you get a coffee table nailed to your head! I saw it on a documentary programme called Monty Python's Flying Circus.
Seawolfe
Moon Ambassador

Post by Seawolfe »

Baurice wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:47 pm If you break the unwritten rule, you get a coffee table nailed to your head! I saw it on a documentary programme called Monty Python's Flying Circus.
That's putting the hurt to a "lawbreaker"! :o
1975 - 1982 - Semper Fi
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

I guess necro posting isn't allowed ?? it's not in the terms from what i've read ahahah!

summon thy!
Attachments
ThreadNecro.jpg
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 591

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

So far necroposting has not been a problem as we are still within 6 months of launch.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Necro posting never really was a 'problem' except in the mind of a certain Forum owner. All the stuff is stored on a fixed disk somewhere, it doesn't really matter when it was stored.

But it is considered … I don't know... rude?
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 591

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

UlteriorModem wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:34 pm Necro posting never really was a 'problem' except in the mind of a certain Forum owner. All the stuff is stored on a fixed disk somewhere, it doesn't really matter when it was stored.

But it is considered … I don't know... rude?
On another forum I belong to old threads are periodically revived with new info, sometimes it is instructive and helpful for beginners, and it really tends to drive up the post counts and page views.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Oh I was talking about reviving old threads like "What size adaptor do I need for my xyz machine" which was answered after a page or two. The answer was thanked and confirmed.

Two years later someone posts to that thread "You will need a M48 to M42 adaptor 10mm long". So obviously they only read the anchor post and not the entire context.

But software wise I don't see how bringing up an old post could create a problem. It's not like its buried in a hidden bunker and you have to drive 20 miles to retrieve it!
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
Site Admin
Site Admin

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

The big issue with "necro-posting" on that 'other forum' was the fact that it is a common for spammers to post to an old tread. And since there was little to no protection from spammers the decision was made to make it a 'no-no'.

We don't really have that problem here so at this point we don't see a reason to create a 'rule' to try to prevent it.
Gordon
ZWO mini guider.

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

some of the flaws of necroposting, is that i see people asking questions to the op for a 5 + year old thread and the user isn't even on the forums anymore lol!
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

When this happened at AF we would normally move the posting to its own new thread and close the old one.
If it was just a post for the sake of posting something it would get trimmed.
In both cases the poster was usually sent a PM about the changes and why.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt