VERY beginner ap questions

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Larry 1969 United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

VERY beginner ap questions

Post by Larry 1969 »

So, I'm not sure if this belongs in the AP forum or beginners forum. Please feel free to move if required.

I recently acquired a Canon T3i full spectrum modified DSLR with no UV / IR filter. My scope is a Skywatcher 10" collapsible dob. (I know..... Not a great imaging rig)
I'm trying to capture some of what I'm seeing to get others interested in the hobby.

I started with a home cooked web cam with 1.25" mount and got some really close up shots of the moon (although super low quality)

My next set-up was a Revolution Imager R2. I took a few lunar images and was able to use PiPP and registax 6 and GIMP to create a (still fairly poor) image.

Now to this camera. Totally different! My lunar captures from the other night were completely different! I'm not sure where to begin.......

I don't know anything about photography, more or less astrophotography...... I've heard people set the camera to "raw" image files so that's what I did.

I found out quickly that Sharpcap would not work with this camera so I found DigiCamControl (free) that works but is confusing.

I then found out that the moon is pink??????? I suppose it's the removed filters? I could clean it up in processing by going grayscale?

Next, PiPP doesn't like the raw Canon files (.cr2) so I found a converter and made them .tiff files. Problem is the raw .cr2 files are 18mb and the .tiff files are 3 times their size at 51mb......

Now Registax 6 likes the .tiff files but they are HUGE and it locks up the program......... I'm dying here..........

I have some really cool, detailed (although pink) lunar photos that I'd like to process and stack.

I'm sure I did EVERYTHING wrong but can I save these photos?

What can I do in the future? What file formats work well with PiPP, Registax, DSS, GIMP etc?

Thank you!

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Orion 8" astrograph 800mm @ F3.9
Eq6-R Pro controlled by APT via EQmod with an OTA mounted mini PC
Tele Vue Paracorr Type 2 coma corrector
Altair Hypercam 26C
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: VERY beginner ap questions

Post by JayTee »

Hi Larry,

To use the Canon efficiently you need a camera control program like either Astrophotography Tool (APT) or Backyard EOS (BYE). Both are commercial software and not free (although they have free trial versions). But their prices are so reasonable ($21 and $35/50) that you can't go wrong. Both will control your camera and many, many more things for both planetary and deep sky imaging.

The programs: PIPP, AutoStakker!2, Registax 6 are for use with video files (predominantly). So you would take your .mov or .avi files and put them through these titles.

Cheers,
JT

PS, my preference is for APT -- it does more for less.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

Thanks JayTee! I'll look into those camera control programs.

Those wouldn't happen to replace PIPP, DSS and Registax would they?

Do you think I should set the camera to take video and process it through one of those programs or photos through a different program? Suggestions?

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KathyNS »

Larry 1969 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:17 am Thanks JayTee! I'll look into those camera control programs.

Those wouldn't happen to replace PIPP, DSS and Registax would they?

Do you think I should set the camera to take video and process it through one of those programs or photos through a different program? Suggestions?

Larry
The programs that JayTee mentioned are for capturing the images/videos. You still need to process the data. PIPP for frame selection, DSS for Deep Sky images (which you are not likely to be taking with your Dob), and Registax for video of solar system objects.

You definitely want to shoot video. Because of atmospheric distortion (= "poor seeing"), you need thousands of frames to have a chance of getting some clear ones.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Altocumulus Scotland
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Altocumulus »

"I don't know anything about photography, more or less astrophotography."

Wow - you've a steep learning curve ahead. Just take each step slowly....
Just call me Geoff....

I do what I do because I can, and because I want to.
It doesn't mean I know what I'm doing :mrgreen:
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

Thanks guys!
It's hard to go one step at a time when there's only 10 decent viewing nights a year! Lol.

So, I always start with lunar photos because the moon is easy to find and track. Do you think it best to take video of the moon vs photos?

Also, what can I do about the pink images? I think this is because the camera was astro modified. Should I just edit it in processing?

Thanks again!

Larry
For visual:

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1045

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

Hi Larry,

Astrophotography can be fun but also frustrating. Just hang in there and ask lots of questions. We have a lot of "AP'rs" here that are more than willing to help get you on your way!
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

This is a bit pricey, but it does get rid of the pink.

https://www.highpointscientific.com/ast ... FbEALw_wcB

Cheers,
JT

PS, standby, I'm currently writing a post on AP software and what all you need for each type of image. It's lengthy so it is taking a while. jt
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter

OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

You should be able to do a custom white balance to offset the T3i full spectrum colour shift.

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

OzEclipse wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 11:06 pm You should be able to do a custom white balance to offset the T3i full spectrum colour shift.

Joe
Thanks! How would I determine this "custom white balance"?
Thanks again!

Larry
For visual:

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Larry

The instruction manual will have instructions on the camera control part. You need to point the camera in daylight at a neutral grey card when doing the CWB.

Joe
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

Thanks OzEclipse!

I didn't get a manual with the camera but I'll bet I can find it online.

Larry
For visual:

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KathyNS »

Larry 1969 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:25 pm So, I always start with lunar photos because the moon is easy to find and track. Do you think it best to take video of the moon vs photos?
For the Moon, definitely shoot video. It is super bright, so you can push the frame rate as high as your camera and computer will take. High frame rates cut through poor seeing, and give you lots of frames to choose from.
Also, what can I do about the pink images? I think this is because the camera was astro modified. Should I just edit it in processing?
Don't bother to try fiddling with a custom white balance in the camera. That only affects JPG images, and you should be shooting raw. Custom white balance will work if you intend to use the modified camera for daytime snapshots, but is pointless for AP.

Yes, you adjust the colour in processing. Most software has colour calibration routines that will automatically balance the colours, and of course you can always adjust them manually.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

Thanks Kathy!

I'll try lunar video and see what happens.

I recently took 60 or so images and stacked them. The result was lesser quality than any single image......
All the images were 97% quality and higher. I don't get that. I am pretty happy with my single exposure though!

Larry
For visual:

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KathyNS »

Larry 1969 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 10:29 pm I recently took 60 or so images and stacked them. The result was lesser quality than any single image......
All the images were 97% quality and higher. I don't get that. I am pretty happy with my single exposure though!
How did you stack them? The results will depend on what software and techniques you used. The best applications for planetary (including lunar) stacking are Registax and AutoStakkert. Both take a bit of practise to use well.
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

All the images were 97% quality and higher.
I dont even know what that means?
KathyNS wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:49 pm How did you stack them? The results will depend on what software and techniques you used. The best applications for planetary (including lunar) stacking are Registax and AutoStakkert. Both take a bit of practise to use well.
I actually use both Regisatx and AutoStakkert. I use one to do the actual stacking, then the other for wavlets, gamma, and color, or cosmetics.

Cant actually remember but I think I stack them in Autostakkert, then do the cosmetics in Registax.

Also use another bit of software to sort through and cherry pick the 'best' frames. But I cant remember the name at the moment.
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Okay I finally got home and can describe my processes a little better.

I shoot in .avi format, the camera I use gets around 12 fps, and I typically shoot around 2,000 frames.

I then run those frames through PiPP to 'cherry pick' the best frames. This shortens the .avi down to maybe 600-800 frames or so.

Then I stack the frames using Autostakkert creating two stacked version one with 5% of the frames and another with 10%.

Then I open the resulting stack from Autostakkert with Registax and do the comsmetics (Wavelets, gamma, cropping, etc.)

I get pretty good results this way.

ImageM 1 by Tom Whit, on Flickr
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

Thanks for the replies!
I believe PIPP has a "sort by highest quality" selection. All of my frames were 97% and higher according to that.
Registax didn't seem to like the large files. It kept locking up. Autostacker! wound up stacking them but the image looked very "smooth". No sharp detail.
I need to play with file formats too. My original captures were in RAW format which is Canon .cr2. Nothing seems to like that much so I converted them to .tif and the ended up 3 times the size!
I was thinking about capturing in .jpeg and working them from there but this video capture thing has my interest.
I think I'll try to capture some in .avi and process as above.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Larry
For visual:

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C
Gulf Coast Guy
Mars Ambassador

Post by Gulf Coast Guy »

I'm running into the same weeds right now. I just bought a EOS 550D(T2i) body for live view, an upgrade to 18 Mpixels, and to capture HD Video. Like I said, the same patch of weeds. The Canon shoots .MOV which by my research is an H.264 format in a.MOV container. I think VLC player may do the h.264 extraction, or maybe Quick Player 7 Both Registax and Autostakkert need either an uncompressed .AVI or a .SER file. The trick as I understand it now is to pull the h.264 data and repackage it into an uncompressed .AVI container. The snag is I can't seem to find on open source utility to do that. Format Factory looks promising.
OTA's: 203mm f10 Meade SCT (LXD75); Antares 80mm Refractor w/William Optics APOGrade f6.9 objective; Orion Starseeker 80 f11.2 Refractor
Mount/tripod's: Meade LXD-75 EQ; Orion Starseeker IV ALT/AZ; Celestron Heavy Duty ALT/AZ Farpoint UBM (Universal Binocular Mount)
Eyepieces:Meade - 26mm plossl, 12mm Astrometric; GSO (OPT badge) 2" Superview 50mm & 30mm 1.25" 15mm; TMB Planetary Series 9mm, 6mm, & 4mm: 10mm & 23mm 60° that came with the 80mm f11.2
Barlows: Orion 2x Shorty; Meade 4000 Series 3x
Binoculars:Brunton 10x50 Celestron Skymaster 15x70 Oberwerk 25x100 IF delux
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Gulf Coast Guy wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:01 am I'm running into the same weeds right now. I just bought a EOS 550D(T2i) body for live view, an upgrade to 18 Mpixels, and to capture HD Video. Like I said, the same patch of weeds. The Canon shoots .MOV which by my research is an H.264 format in a.MOV container. I think VLC player may do the h.264 extraction, or maybe Quick Player 7 Both Registax and Autostakkert need either an uncompressed .AVI or a .SER file. The trick as I understand it now is to pull the h.264 data and repackage it into an uncompressed .AVI container. The snag is I can't seem to find on open source utility to do that. Format Factory looks promising.
And this is why we run all our video through PIPP (Planetary Imaging Pre Processing), it takes care of all those problems. Here's the link, OBTW it's free.
https://sites.google.com/site/astropipp/downloads

Cheers,
JT