VERY beginner ap questions

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
TCampbell United States of America
Moon Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: VERY beginner ap questions

Post by TCampbell »

KathyNS wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 7:08 pm
Larry 1969 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:25 pm So, I always start with lunar photos because the moon is easy to find and track. Do you think it best to take video of the moon vs photos?
For the Moon, definitely shoot video. It is super bright, so you can push the frame rate as high as your camera and computer will take. High frame rates cut through poor seeing, and give you lots of frames to choose from.

I'll disagree with Kathy -- just this one time. ;-)

The moon is actually a very easy exposure because of its brightness. There's an exposure guideline referred to as the "Looney 11 Rule". This rule says that IF you use f/11, you can get a correct exposure of the moon by setting the shutter speed to the inverse of the ISO. E.g. at ISO 100, you would use 1/100th sec. At ISO 200, then use 1/200th sec, etc. BUT this only works at f/11. You can "trade" stops of exposure if using some other focal ratio.

For example, if you have the SkyWatcher 10" f/4.7 DOB, then that's roughly 2.5 stops more light ... so you can compensate by setting the shutter speed 2.5 times shorter (e.g. f/4.7, ISO 100, and instead of 1/100th ... you would set a shutter speed to about 1/600th sec. (I think the camera increments in 1/3rd stops ... not 1/2 stops ... but being off by that small fraction wont harm the exposure.)

Anyway, at such a fast shutter speed you wont need to worry about tracking (tracking is a big issue in long exposures). This would let you get a pretty decent exposure in just one shot and it wouldn't require much in the way of post processing (a little contrast adjustment and maybe a little sharpening and you're pretty much there.)

You can do video... but video works best with a camera that can collect non-lossy frames and your Canon camera is not able to do this. It also works better at a high frame rate and your Canon camera wont be capable of a particularly high frame rate.

Also, video requires post processing (AutoStakkert2 or Registax ... but those prefer .AVI files and your Canon wont produce those. PIPP can be used to convert the Canon movie files into other formats such as AVI but it can't get around the lossy nature of the input files ... which sort of defeats the point of using video.

There are some nice astrophotography CMOS imaging cameras that are great for planetary imaging. Some entry models are roughly around $150 USD (well.. with all these new tariffs maybe the prices will change) and up. These cameras usually have much smaller imaging chips so depending not he scope they may not be able to capture the entire moon (but planets aren't a problem because their angular size is very tiny). Going in that direction (video) can and will net better results (Kathy isn't wrong) but it will require a bit more effort. It's a learning curve. For this reason, I'd start with the simple single-frame photo using the Looney 11 rule ... and then start working your way up as you gain experience.

Clear Skies,
Tim
Scopes: PlaneWave 12.5 CDK - Meade 14" LX200-ACF - TeleVue NP101is - Lunt LS80Ha
Mounts: Losmandy G11 - Losmandy GM8 - Losmandy StarLapse
Cameras: Canon 60Da - ZWO ASI128MC-Pro - ZWO ASI174MM-Cool - ZWO ASI174MM-Mini
Software (Raspberry Pi): ZWO ASIair - StellarMate / Software (Mac): AstroImager - AstroDSLR - AstroGuider
Wish list items: Weather Controller
Gulf Coast Guy
Mars Ambassador

Post by Gulf Coast Guy »

JayTee wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:51 am
Gulf Coast Guy wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:01 am I'm running into the same weeds right now. I just bought a EOS 550D(T2i) body for live view, an upgrade to 18 Mpixels, and to capture HD Video. Like I said, the same patch of weeds. The Canon shoots .MOV which by my research is an H.264 format in a.MOV container. I think VLC player may do the h.264 extraction, or maybe Quick Player 7 Both Registax and Autostakkert need either an uncompressed .AVI or a .SER file. The trick as I understand it now is to pull the h.264 data and repackage it into an uncompressed .AVI container. The snag is I can't seem to find on open source utility to do that. Format Factory looks promising.
And this is why we run all our video through PIPP (Planetary Imaging Pre Processing), it takes care of all those problems. Here's the link, OBTW it's free.
https://sites.google.com/site/astropipp/downloads

Cheers,
JT
Ask and Ye shall receive.

Thanks.

GCG
OTA's: 203mm f10 Meade SCT (LXD75); Antares 80mm Refractor w/William Optics APOGrade f6.9 objective; Orion Starseeker 80 f11.2 Refractor
Mount/tripod's: Meade LXD-75 EQ; Orion Starseeker IV ALT/AZ; Celestron Heavy Duty ALT/AZ Farpoint UBM (Universal Binocular Mount)
Eyepieces:Meade - 26mm plossl, 12mm Astrometric; GSO (OPT badge) 2" Superview 50mm & 30mm 1.25" 15mm; TMB Planetary Series 9mm, 6mm, & 4mm: 10mm & 23mm 60° that came with the 80mm f11.2
Barlows: Orion 2x Shorty; Meade 4000 Series 3x
Binoculars:Brunton 10x50 Celestron Skymaster 15x70 Oberwerk 25x100 IF delux
OleCuss
Mars Ambassador

Post by OleCuss »

This link: http://www.astropix.com/wp/2016/03/10/c ... ov-to-avi/ is now several years old but may still be useful.
Gulf Coast Guy
Mars Ambassador

Post by Gulf Coast Guy »

OleCuss wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:33 am This link: http://www.astropix.com/wp/2016/03/10/c ... ov-to-avi/ is now several years old but may still be useful.
A little searching turned this up. Don't know if it applies to the current vers. of Autostakkert 2 though.

http://www.astropix.com/wp/2013/02/11/a ... onversion/
OTA's: 203mm f10 Meade SCT (LXD75); Antares 80mm Refractor w/William Optics APOGrade f6.9 objective; Orion Starseeker 80 f11.2 Refractor
Mount/tripod's: Meade LXD-75 EQ; Orion Starseeker IV ALT/AZ; Celestron Heavy Duty ALT/AZ Farpoint UBM (Universal Binocular Mount)
Eyepieces:Meade - 26mm plossl, 12mm Astrometric; GSO (OPT badge) 2" Superview 50mm & 30mm 1.25" 15mm; TMB Planetary Series 9mm, 6mm, & 4mm: 10mm & 23mm 60° that came with the 80mm f11.2
Barlows: Orion 2x Shorty; Meade 4000 Series 3x
Binoculars:Brunton 10x50 Celestron Skymaster 15x70 Oberwerk 25x100 IF delux