Protecting my mirror

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Psalm19:1
Articles: 0

Protecting my mirror

Post by Psalm19:1 »

Hi learned astronomers,

I am about to take my dob to the desert southwest for two months and I am pretty sure where I will be setting up has a dirt surface. Does anyone have any idea how I can protect the primary mirror from getting dusty? It is so close to the ground. I have no idea how I would get it clean if some debris were to be kicked up nearby. The only thing I can think of is to have a good sized ground cloth under it, but that seems like an imperfect solution.

Thanks for any ideas,
Marian
Don Quixote

Re: Protecting my mirror

Post by Don Quixote »

Hello Marian.
The ground cloth sounds like the place to begin.
If you have wind and blowing dust that would be more of a problem of course.
Maybe putting a cloth "Shower Cap" over the mirror end would give some protection to dust at ground Ievel.

Just an idea.
Clear skies to you.
JayTee United States of America
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

I use a tarp (Harbor Freight has many different sizes) laid out and then outdoor carpet on top of that when I'm out in the field. Also, I use elasticized plastic shower caps for both ends of my telescope tube when it is not in use.

Believe it or not unless some kind of liquid material gets into your telescope tube and onto your mirror, it will not get dirty enough to necessitate a cleaning while you are out in the field. Your telescope mirror can get very very dirty before you see any significant degradation in performance.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

helicon Online United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 596

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

I also use a tarp - the camping kind that you place under your tent if you are familiar with that sort of thing. Seems to work OK when I am out at dark sky locations. Also, don't want ants, spiders, or other critters to get into the OTA.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
man1

Post by man1 »

helicon wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:03 pm I also use a tarp - the camping kind that you place under your tent if you are familiar with that sort of thing. Seems to work OK when I am out at dark sky locations. Also, don't want ants, spiders, or other critters to get into the OTA.
I have used so far a 4x4 sheet of 3/4" plywood and to keep bugs and spiders out of the primary on my xt10i.. I got some mosquito screening at the dollar store that they sell for doors. (very fine mesh) I put that screening between my cooling fan cover and the bottom of the mirror base. All kept in place with velcro.
Orion XT10i custom, Orion GiantView BT-70, Bushnell Natureview 20-60x65, Barska 25-125x80
SkySafari6 Pro & 7 Pro, SkyFi 3, ASI290MC, T7C
Psalm19:1

Post by Psalm19:1 »

Thanks everyone, I never thought of using a shower cap. Genius!
Lady Fraktor Slovakia

Post by Lady Fraktor »

One of the most common things I have seen used at star parties is a section of outdoor carpetting/ astroturf.
Not very heavy, hard to destroy and will not become slippery with snow/ water on it.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1000101)
The only culture I have is from yogurt