Exposure time vs number of exposures?

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Larry 1969 United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Exposure time vs number of exposures?

Post by Larry 1969 »

Someone pleas correct me if I'm wrong.

My understanding is that 20 100 sec exposures has the same amount of data as 100 20 sec exposures.
If so, why would one want to take long exposures? I would think the chances of something going wrong ( air plane, satellite, etc ) would be much greater with longer exposures.

I'm taking 200 20 sec exposures of the Deer Lick Group right now....

Thanks!

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Orion 8" astrograph 800mm @ F3.9
Eq6-R Pro controlled by APT via EQmod with an OTA mounted mini PC
Tele Vue Paracorr Type 2 coma corrector
Altair Hypercam 26C
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Exposure time vs number of exposures?

Post by JayTee »

Your supposition is not exactly true. There is a trade-off. The signal-to-noise (SNR) for the longer exposures is better and they will give you a lower noise final image. It's not a lot, but it is noticeable. BUT, if all you can take are 20-second images then that is what you do.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

There are a couple of practical reasons for taking longer exposures that have to do with disk storage and stacking your images.

From the storage side, 100 20 second exposures take up 5 times as much disk storage as 20 100 second exposures. Whether that is an issue depends on how much space is available, and how much you want to allocate to your astrophotos.

From the stacking side, stacking 100 exposures takes longer than stacking 20 exposures. It isn;t necessarily 5 times as long, but it is a longer period and puts more of a load on the processing device.

Finally airplanes and satellite trails can be removed from the final image by using a Kappa-Sigma stacking algorithm. That algorithm rejects pixels from an image that lie outside the norm for all the images averaged together. A plane flew through one of my subs the other night when I was imaging the Iris Nebula. After stacking, there is no sign of the plane lights going through, but I was able to use the data from that sub along with all the others.

On the other hand, taking longer subs exposes you to more risk from tracking issues, and may require you to autoguide your mount, adding some complexity to each session. There is no free lunch in AP, just like there isn't any anywhere else.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Larry 1969 United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

Well put.

Thanks guys!

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Orion 8" astrograph 800mm @ F3.9
Eq6-R Pro controlled by APT via EQmod with an OTA mounted mini PC
Tele Vue Paracorr Type 2 coma corrector
Altair Hypercam 26C
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

more dynamic range if you're going with longer subs with lower iso (you get range back in stacking anyway),more lp can get soaked in but can be processed it out.A 60 x 30 sec image will basically make very similar results as a 6x5 min image with a very small differences between the two ,doing short exposures is ok given that there's a min exposure length with your scope/camera to lift the skyfog, other then that processing time is where you suffer as others have explained.

deepsky stacker needs a minimum amount of frames to process out artifacts from satellites ,i think the recommended is about 25 frames, so there's a down fall for doing longer subs, example at 5x 30 min exposures .
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baurice »

I quite often stack while doing other things.
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

I started a thread over at the old place that asked a similar question. http://www.astronomyforum.net/astro-ima ... -much.html After digesting the replies I found that with my equipment better results/image came from longer exposures. Even better was longer exposures with a lower ISO. Attention to getting my guiding was essential, I like to think of that as "Preparation for the future".

Prior to making the changes I made on ISO and exposure I learned the hard way that with my system and sky environment lot of short exposures didn't really yield me with a better finished image. Bob spoke the truth, there is "no free ride" in AP.

Don't be afraid to experiment, it's not like the boss is going to fire you for not meetin' your quota. It a hobby not a job, it's supposed to be relaxing and enjoyable!

Brent
Scopes: SkyWatcher 8" Quattro, Celestron C8, SkyWatcher ST120, Orion ST80, SharpStar 61EDPH II. SLT 130 Celestron
Mounts: CGEM, CG-4, EQ2, Alt Az, SLT
Cameras: ZWO ASI533MC Pro, ZWO ASI120MM, Canon 1100D
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jrkirkham »

Thanks everyone. This is an interesting conversation.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
depratnt United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by depratnt »

The longer the exposure the better the s/n ratio will be. You will get better results with 20, 100s subs than the other way around.
Scopes: GSO 8rc
Mount: iOptron CEM60
Camera: ASI1600mm-PRO
Guide cam: QHY5L-ii monochrome
Filters: Astrodon Ha/Oiii )3nm) / LRGB
l
KenGS
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KenGS »

In term of SNR, if your 20s exposures are not shot noise dominant (i.e are read noise dominant) then stacking 100x20s expsoures will have worse SNR than stacking 20x100s exposures. If your 20s exposures are shot noise dominant over read noise then the SNR difference between stacking more shorter subs vs fewer longer subs is small. Then the other factors mentioned - tracking, dynamic range, processing time etc come into play.
--Ken
GSO RC8 CF; Vixen 150mm F5 Newtonian c.1983; Super Polaris mount; DMD-1 controller; DIY Arduino controller; EQ6Pro mount; Synscan 3 controller; Avalon M-UNO; Vixen 60mm F12 refractor guidescope; Meade Lightbridge 12"; ASI1600MM-C; ATIK 420, Tamron 46A 70-210mm, ST80, Imaging Source DBK-21AU04-AS cam, Prostar/Toupcam GPCMOS0120KMB, ZWO ASI120MM-S, Bortle 5 sky.
goldstar
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by goldstar »

I am currently processing 356 X 30 secs, yes 356!, of the Heart and Soul nebulae in DSS.
Already I can see the moon and LP was creating a sky background of 26 % in all frames as well as a FWHM of 6 pixels.
I do not expect a great result but I will see in the morning since while I sleep DSS will spend nearly 4 hours beating it's way through stacking.
I'll let you know....
Scopes: 200mm f6 DOB:CR 6 150 mm f 7.5 refractor, SW ED 80 mm f 7.5. 2 X 80 mm f7.5 guides.
Mount: AVX.
NexGuide auto guider. Cameras 3 Ti and XS modded. I optron Skytracker.
Motley EP collection.
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

One thing to keep in mind about long exposures... I lived near a VOR (aircraft beacon) and aircraft are constantly in my images if I'm shooting to the North or North East. I'd rather ruin a 1 minute exposure than a 20 minute one. And don't forget those pesky satellites that show up just about anywhere.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter