Transparency and Atmospheric Extinction

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Transparency and Atmospheric Extinction

Post by Bigzmey »

Here is a nice article on how apparent brightness of a target is affected by observing conditions

https://www.skyandtelescope.com/astrono ... xtinction/
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Don Quixote
Articles: 0

Re: Transparency and Atmospheric Extinction

Post by Don Quixote »

Thank you Andrey.
I have enjoyed this article very much.

Now...how do we explain why, when through a telescope we do not receive all the light either, that is to say that a star is never brighter than what we see naked eye, we are able to see stars that are unavailable, "extincted" to the naked eye view, through that telescope?

Wow...I'm not even sure I understand my own question...! 😊

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Don Quixote wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:28 pm Thank you Andrey.

Now...how do we explain why, when through a telescope we do not receive all the light either, that is to say that a star is never brighter than what we see naked eye, we are able to see stars that are unavailable, "extincted" to the naked eye view, through that telescope?

Textbook explanation is that telescope takes light over the larger area (lens aperture) and focuses it to smaller area (exit pupil) thus increasing the target brightness.

Alternative explanation is that stars as point sources of light have the same brightness over the range of magnifications, while sky background gets darker at higher powers. This is why even with the same scope you can resolve fainter stars pushing to the higher powers.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Thank you Andrey.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Bigzmey wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:49 pm

Textbook explanation is that telescope takes light over the larger area (lens aperture) and focuses it to smaller area (exit pupil) thus increasing the target brightness.

Alternative explanation is that stars as point sources of light have the same brightness over the range of magnifications, while sky background gets darker at higher powers. This is why even with the same scope you can resolve fainter stars pushing to the higher powers.
Until you can resolve the Airy disk, then brightness decreases in the usual way.

The "textbook explanation" oversimplifies a bit. The "alternative explanation" simplifies less.

One has to be careful about "brightness". It has a physics definition and also there are physiological factors.

In terms of something like "magnitudes per square arc second on the sky" brightness is always decreased by telescopes. The telescope, used visually, is a contrast enhancer even while brightness is decreased. That's why the "alternative explanation" is less of a falsehood than the oversimplified "textbook explanation".

https://clarkvision.com/visastro/index.html

https://clarkvision.com/visastro/m51-apert/
Last edited by notFritzArgelander on Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:23 pm

Until you can resolve the Airy disk, then brightness decreases in the usual way.

The "textbook explanation" oversimplifies a bit. The "alternative explanation" simplifies less.
As long as it works. :lol:

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Bigzmey wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:30 pm

Which is the problem with simplified explanations. They don't work at some point. ;)
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:36 pm

Which is the problem with simplified explanations. They don't work at some point. ;)
I meant telescope not the explanations. :)

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Bigzmey wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:37 pm
notFritzArgelander wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:36 pm

I meant telescope not the explanations. :)
Ah, I thought we were discussing an explanation of how telescopes work? :lol: