Is it a mushroom?

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
allisonribeiro
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Is it a mushroom?

Post by allisonribeiro »

Hello there.

I've been away from the scope for a few months due to diaper change duties and now that I am back I checked the primary to see if everything was OK down there.

I noticed some white spots on it and am concerned about Fungus.

Here is a picture of it: https://photos.app.goo.gl/CdQHBBH6jJYHua8g9

Should I clean the mirror? I mean, I've never done it, and I own this scope for a couple of years now.

The mirror doesn't look so dirty to me but I worry about its integrity...

What do you guys think?

Cheers
Telescope: Orion SkyQuest Xt8 Classic, red dot finder and Celestron 9x50 RACI. 
Eps : 5mm CELESTRON X-CEL, 9mm CELESTRON X-CEL, 25mm CELESTRON X-CEL, 2x Barlow lens, DGM NPB nebula filter
10X50 Bino
Camera: ASI224MC
Messier: 30/110, AF.net S110: 78/110
Don Quixote

Re: Is it a mushroom?

Post by Don Quixote »

The first thing I would do is get a little squeeze blower/puffer and see if it is just dust bunnies that will blow off...gently.

After that I am lost...😊
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

It's unlikely fungus because there's little to live on. Try a clean compressed air for optics but otherwise leave it alone.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Radius
Earth Ambassador

Post by Radius »

Hmm... the link says that an album is empty
allisonribeiro
Earth Ambassador

Post by allisonribeiro »

Radius wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:51 am Hmm... the link says that an album is empty
Thanks for the heads up, I uploaded it to the site app.php/gallery/image/1014/source
Eps : 5mm CELESTRON X-CEL, 9mm CELESTRON X-CEL, 25mm CELESTRON X-CEL, 2x Barlow lens, DGM NPB nebula filter
10X50 Bino
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Looks like dew or rain drop marks. Nothing to worry about; if I was home I'd post a pic of the mirror in my 10".... In comparison to mine, yours is SO clean :lol:

It's not fungus; like nFA said, really nothing there for it to grow from.

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

looks like a new telescope mirror ! what fungus!
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

I would take caution before doing anything drastic. Canned air or a hair dryer might work to eliminate any loose debris.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
allisonribeiro
Earth Ambassador

Post by allisonribeiro »

Thank you all, guess I can take it out of my mind then.

Cheers
10X50 Bino
gregl
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by gregl »

While leaving it alone is the default option, when I visited Kitt Peak not long ago, the guide said they used Orvis Horse Shampoo for cleaning the mirror on the 2.1m scope. Dunno if this was a joke, but the guide seemed serious. He also said they once found some footprints on the mirror and discovered that a ring-tailed cat had used the mirror for a dining table.

Having worked in a military camera repair shop where we repaired very high-end aerial cameras, I say: proceed with caution. If you really want to clean a mirror, here is one technique: http://www.rfroyce.com/cleanfsm.htm. I'd be nervous about this as the first wash water could be contaminated with grit. I'd use distilled water all the way through the process. The writer didn't mention getting all the gritty stuff off first. You don't want to rub the grit into the coating. Blow it off with an ear syringe (from a pharmacy) and pick off stubborn bits with a little sable paintbrush from an art supply store (and don't rub the brush on your skin — keep it clean). Then wash and rinse. While I haven't tried this, Kodak Photo Flo mixed in distilled water to a to about half the strength used for film might be a good final rinse solution that wouldn't leave water spots. We always had good results with it on film.

I just cleaned some sticky goo from rotted foam off the reflex mirror in an old Nikon F. I used lacquer thinner and a handful of cotton swabs. The dust is first blown off with clean compressed air. Then a swab damp with thinner is rolled on the mirror such that the dirt it picks up is pulled up away from the mirror surface. The swab gets only one roll and then is tossed and a new one is used for the next bit. This takes patience but you can prevail if you're careful.