Where is it legal to set up in darker skys

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
russmax
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

Re: Where is it legal to set up in darker skys

Post by russmax »

In your shoes, I'd be trying to do a weekend camping trip. I looked the www.lightpollutionmap.info and saw that the darkest skies anywhere near you are up in Wisconsin, between Madison and Lacrosse.
https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#zoo ... FTFFFFFFFF
Wildcat Mountain State Park and the Kickapoo River area seem promising, but several other parks (and cemeteries) do too.

Hope you find dark, clear skies, and stay warm.
--Russmax
----------
Celestron AVX 8" SCT & Omni XLT 102 AZ
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

On my previous work commute, I'd sometimes drive home on backroads just to see what was out there. Most of them are in reasonably (for here) dark skies according to the LP map. Some have more traffic than others, but there were a lot of potential spots by the sides of the roads. Not sure how the locals might react though. Might just have to take my binos one night and head out; if it's a bust at least I won't have to take down my good gear.

I also discovered a county campground that's not too far away. It's heavy on RV pads though, so I don't know how bad the party lights might be. OTOH, I can be there in about 30 minutes, so it wouldn't be a huge waste of time if it was a crapper.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jrkirkham »

I've set up outside cemeteries, but I usually shy away from cemeteries in rural Illinois. I don't know if there is much drug activity at night, but I know they tend to be patrolled during the night. In our county it would be wise to introduce yourself to local law enforcement so they know what is going on.

That said, I have gone through several stages over a period of years that worked well for me. I used the dark sky finder to find the best location I could at a state park. I had to balance darkness with distance to find what would work for me. I used that same site for several years, but also got to know area land owners. Then I got permission to use some private property near the state park. It felt a little safer and was just as dark. I used that for several more years. While using that spot I kept my eyes open for a tiny plot that I could rent or purchase. In Illinois the farmers are accustomed to renting out their land to deer hunters. Many of the deer hunters rent patches all year long. A dark sky spot takes up almost no space. It is just another way a farmer can earn a little from his farm.

Then I got lucky. One of the area land owners is a childhood friend. He gave me use of a small plot for life. It is only about 50 feet square, but that is enough to set up and park the car. The farmer whose land I had been using for the past 6 years was also very kind. I didn't even have to tell him when I was coming and going, but I did make sure he recognized my vehicle. I also sent him an email most of the time to let him know I was coming. I also gave him a framed nightscape I took on his property. He was happy with that. I think he rather liked the idea of a night photographer using his place. Right now I have use of both places, but am starting to build in the new location.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Renting a small plot from a farmer sounds like an excellent solution. I confess I’d feel awkward driving up to a random farmhouse and pitching the idea though.

I have considered talking with the owners of an AirBNB cabin near here about using just the cabin driveway. That probably wouldn’t work when they had it rented out, but they have a long private access road so maybe on the side of that.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
jrkirkham United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jrkirkham »

I understand what you are saying. That's why I used a Sate Park for several years. I have the advantage of being raised in this area, but the farm I have been using is owned by a person that I didn't know. When I got to know him we clicked and he let me use his land. Once he got to know me it didn't seem so strange. He has been out to look through my telescope before. In a rural area you might get to know one person who can help you make contact with the right person.

Some of his land is also used during deer season. This county has deer hunters from all over the country. The hunters often take time to get to know the land owners. There are a lot of tiny plots that are not farmed. They used to be the locations of old farmhouses. The farmhouses are long gone, but a couple of trees and a buried foundation mark the areas. They are often close enough to lanes for easy access and large enough to put up a telescope. You might be able to run an ad in a small local newspaper to let people know you are looking to rent a small dark site for occasional telescope viewing. Both the area I have been using for the past 6 years and the new area I am moving to are on former homestead sites. They are relatively save, easily accessible, and not farmed anyway.
Rob
Telescopes: 50mm refractor, ED80 triplet, 90mm makcass, 10" dob, 8"SCT, 11"SCT
Mounts: Celestron CGX, Orion Sirius + several camera tripods
Cameras: Canon 6D, Canon 80D, ZWO-ASI120MC
Binoculars: 10x50, 12x60, 15x70, 25-125x80
Observatory: SkyShed POD XL3 + 8x12 warm room
AL Projects Completed: Lunar #645, Outreach #0280, Universe Sampler #93-T, Binocular Messier #871, Messier #2521, Messier Honorary #2521, Constellation Hunter Northern Skies #112, Planetary Transit Venus #1, Galileo #26, Outreach Stellar 0280, Meteor Regular #157, Solar System Telescopic #209-I, Observer Award #1
AL Projects Currently in Process: Double Stars, Comet, Lunar Evolution
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

Back when I lived in a big city, I'd just drive out to a random gravel road. I found one that was perfect: a dead-end road serving a single farm. It was a public road, not their driveway. I found a field-access driveway off the road and set up there. I was careful to stay on the public right-of-way and not trespass on the field. But the driveway gave me a level spot to set up, and room to park the car off the road. Being a dead-end, there was no traffic, or very little. No one bothered me.

One time, the media had been hyping the Perseid meteor shower, expecting it to be exceptionally good that year. We drove out to a similar area, on a gravel road. For several kilometres along that road, every single field-access driveway had a car parked in it, with folks sitting under blankets watching the sky. We found an unused driveway, and did the same. It was worth getting up at 2:00 am: the meteor shower was indeed exceptional that year.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Edsland
Earth Ambassador

Post by Edsland »

A lot of great ideas about local farmers, I have a seasonal campsite in a pretty dark area, too bad the campground is loaded with lights and oak trees. But a few times each year a farmer that knows the owner brings in corn for corn boils and tractor rides. Next summer I’ll get to know him and see what I could work out through him.
Mac United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Mac »

I reached out to the owner of a motocross track in the middle of nowhere and asked to rent time on his land, if possible. He emailed back and invited me to come at any time, just give him a day's notice and it would be free.

The skies there are the darkest around here in 200 miles and he commented how many friends and family come to his place in the summer and are in awe of the stars. He even said I could stay there overnight as long as I was out before the motocross riders came the next day. I was blown away by his generosity.

The other nice thing was I didn't have to worry about was being robbed.
Steve

Scopes : Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO - Radian Raptor Triplet APO - Orion 50mm
Mount : AVX EQ | Software : KStars - EKOS - Stellar OS | Cameras : ZWO ASI533MC ASI1600MM ASI120MM-mini
CPU : Mac Studio, iMac - Kstars-Ekos on Raspberry Rpi4/RPi5 | Misc : Thousand Oaks dew controller - DewNot straps - Optolong L-enhance - ZWO EAF
Image Processing : PixInsight - LightRoom - Photoshop - macOS 14 - Windows 11
Kurbs
Earth Ambassador

Post by Kurbs »

Astronomy clubs are great. You have 1 by you that utilizes a farm in your area. Lake County has a great one as well and Volo Bog is where they have access among a few sites. I also camp in parts of Wisconsin and Illinois where there are dark sites. An hour and a half drive toward Dixon or a bit south and you have great parks to camp.

I am currently trying to get my village to allow park use after sundown without a permit. After all I pay for the park use in taxes. On my street it is hard to see 2 ft in front of you at times but the 70 foot trees everywhere give me limited views.
Engineer. Plays with astronomy to teach the grand kids and neighbor kids.

2 Celestron Evolutions 8" and 6"
2 Celestron SLT 5"MAK and 130 Reflector
Meade ETX series 70, 90, 125 UHTC
Meade DS 102 Refractor
Meade Short tube 80 Refractor
Meade LX65 with 5" MAK and 80mm short tube
Meade DSX90
Meade DSI Pro, ZWO120MC, SVNONY SV205 and SV305, and Inova NEabul Cooled CCD cams
tons of eyepieces from all walks of life
Celestron Binoviewers
Celestron WIFI, home cobbled Bluetooth wireless for remote control

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Edsland wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:02 am A lot of great ideas about local farmers, I have a seasonal campsite in a pretty dark area, too bad the campground is loaded with lights and oak trees.
I took a look at the longterm campground / RV park or whatever near Sublette. Pretty dark sky, but I'd have to buy a trailer or something and it also looked like a lot of the owners had floods and party lights set up around their lots. Didn't seem like a good investment.