Where is it legal to set up in darker skys

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Edsland
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Where is it legal to set up in darker skys

Post by Edsland »

I live in the Chicago area, you can read a book at midnight with sunglasses on. About an hour west Sandwich, Lealand area has a lot darker sky's. If I where to drive out there what type of places would allow someone to set up a telescope and start looking at the heavens?
Don Quixote

Re: Where is it legal to set up in darker skys

Post by Don Quixote »

Homer Glenn isn't very far from chicago and is supposed to be on the National Dark Sky Regustry.
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Hi Ed, I don't know your area, but I would first look for some parks. That said you may still need a permit after dark.

What about local astronomy clubs? I would imagine there must be a club in Chicago, must clubs have a dark site or even an observatory.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Here is a link to some clubs by you 😁
https://www.go-astronomy.com/astro-club ... p?State=IL
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

I always put this location out there, it is a little freaky. But cemetery parking lots are never visited at night. I have used this type of site on several occasions, in fact one of my favorite dark sites is a cemetery parking lot.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Agree with Jaytee re-cemetery observing/photography.

Took this from a cemetery. Could hear what sounded like chains clanking the whole damn time I was taking the shot. Freaky

Was so dark, I had trouble finding where I parked my car. While looking for it, I found the source of the clanking, cows with bells around neck. :lol:
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
DeanD Australia
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by DeanD »

Love the anecdote!

Nice piccie of the LMC. That really is a cemetery with a view isn't it! Was that down near Bateman's Bay?

A cemetery parking lot sounds (sort of) OK, but in the actual cemetery sounds a bit too freaky for me, especially if I was on my own... ;)
Telescopes: 12" f5 dob, Celestron CPC800, 150mmf5 Celestron achro, Tak TSA102, TV76, ETX125...
Binos: Steiner Wildlife XP 10x26, Swarovski 8x30 Habicht, Zeiss SFL 8x40, Vanguard Endeavour 10.5x45, Fuji FMTR-SX 10x50, Tak 22x60, Orion Resolux 15x70
Eyepieces: way too many (is that possible?), but I do like my TV 32mm plossl, 13mm Nagler T6, 27mm Panoptic and 3-6mm Nagler zoom, plus Fujiyama 18mm and 25mm orthos and Tak 7.5mm LE
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

The Naperville Astro Assoc has 2 private dark sites and a 3rd shared site available within an hour to an hour and a half drive from Nville. I go out to the closest one and it's decent. People from the club occasionally go out as a group if you prefer group observing / star parties.

White Pines State Park (near Dixon) is about the darkest nearby site I've found. However, the picnic areas close at dusk, so you'd need to pay for a campsite (about $15 I think).
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Edsland
Earth Ambassador

Post by Edsland »

The cemetery site especially with Halloween coming sounds really interesting lol, thanks for the heads up about Naperville Astro Assoc ill have to check them out.
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

quote=DeanD post_id=29622 time=1569845966 user_id=160]
Love the anecdote!

Nice piccie of the LMC. That really is a cemetery with a view isn't it! Was that down near Bateman's Bay?

A cemetery parking lot sounds (sort of) OK, but in the actual cemetery sounds a bit too freaky for me, especially if I was on my own... ;)
[/quote]

Hi Dean,

Thanks Dean. Yes it really is a cemetery & the story is true but it's not Batemans Bay. It's at the Narooma Cemetery looking down on Glasshouse Rocks. My tripod was just a few metres from some of the graves. Sky isn't the darkest but the ambient lighting was. I couldn't see a thing around me. Looking out I couldn't see anything. The foreground and the beach below were pitch black. I had to compose using high ISO and preview exposures. I could see the rocks in the distance lit by some artificial lighting.

Enough of the thread hijack and back to the original poster's Q.
Other approaches - National Parks, State Parks, Farm areas. Go to a small town, check into a hotel and ask the manager/staff if they have any friends who are property owners or farmers who might be willing to let you set up your scope in a quiet corner their farm. Much safer for personal safety to be tucked away on private property than being in a public place.

Your nearest really dark skies seem to be the shores of Lake Superior in Wisconsin.

Joe
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
Edsland
Earth Ambassador

Post by Edsland »

No hijacked as far as im concerned, I'm enjoying the cemetery, and i have to say that picture would be a wall hanger in my house.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Another, hopefully interesting, anecdote on my cemetery dark site. The first time I went there was on Halloween night of 2013. I arrived during the afternoon and set up and was unaware of certain things inside that cemetery. The cemetery is out in the middle of nowhere, it is an old west-style cemetery like you see in the movies. After dark around 8 to 9 p.m. I noticed from several locations red, green, and blue flashing lights inside the cemetery. Since I was by myself, I started to get a little bit worried. So, I grabbed my brightest flashlight, screwed up my courage, and headed into the cemetery proper. What I found was solar powered eternal grave markers with colored LEDs. To me, the last thing you'd expect to see in an old west cemetery. From then on, that site became my favorite solo dark site observing location.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Edsland
Earth Ambassador

Post by Edsland »

OMG your a lot braver then I am, on Halloween of all nights.
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Edsland wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:22 pm OMG your a lot braver then I am, on Halloween of all nights.
Not really, the creepy is all in the mind. The rest is only in the movies.

I laughed at myself getting creeped out by it. Better than going to see a scary movie. :lol:
Joe
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

This came up in another discussion, but if you're in the western 'burbs or maybe even farther out, CW says the local police don't take kindly to trespassers in cemeteries at night - potential vandalism.

Having said that, I've been eyeing a couple myself. One even has LED grave decorations...
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
chartram United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chartram »

Hi there!

I’ve set up outside cemeteries before, but I found my go-to dark site by first searching out the darker sky areas around me using https://darksitefinder.com. I drove out during the day and scoped out all the places that were on county land and tried them out. Finally settled on one. a county sheriff came out one time, saw what I was doing and said if I ever need anything to give them a call. Maybe worth a drive(?) Remote church parking lots are good too. When I lived in IL, I’d literally drive out on country roads in the middle of nowhere & set up on the side of the road- maybe got 1-2 cars a night.

Mike
Mike Chartrand
Scopes: WO Star 71 Gen-II (F/4.9), Astro-Tech AT115EDT (F/7), Celestron 8" Edge HD (F/10)
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600MM w/ Baader 1.25" LRGB & Narrowband Filters, ZWO ASI174MM mini, Starlight Xpress Lodestar X2
Mount: Skywatcher NEQ6 Pro
Guiding: Orion ST-80 (f/5) w/ADM MiniMax (side-by-side), ZWO OAG
Software: PHD2, Sequence Generator Pro, PixInsight
Dark Site Transportation System: 2020 Telluride SX
turonrambar
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by turonrambar »

Never thought about cemeteries. There are several outlooks that no body uses during the night.
One time I set up in Idaho’s Craters of the Moon RV Parking area. Found out the next day that they had a special place for observing and they kept people out with their cars headlights ruining the observing sessions.
Meade OTA f/8 12” on a CEM120 iOptron Mount,
G10 One Shot CMOS Color Camera, QHY 2” Filter Wheel, QHY OAG, SVBony SV305 guide camera
Canon T3i 60D Prime Focus and Eyepiece Projection,
ASCOM 6.5 SP1, Windows 10 Professional
LX850 Mount, ETX125, LX200 f/10 8” GPS, Meade 6” f/4 Newton Reflector on an Equatorial Mount
Jay6821 United States of America
Earth Ambassador

Post by Jay6821 »

There is a small cemetery a few miles from my house that I occasionally go to. It's darker than my backyard, but the key feature for me is that it is surrounded by corn fields so I have a clear view in all directions. It's also peaceful and the residents are quiet, unlike the teenagers who live down the street from my house.
Celestron NexStar Evolution 8, StarSense AutoAlign, 1.25 "Stellarvue Dielectric Diagonal, Celestron X-Cel LX eyepieces, 2" Celestron diagonal, 2" Luminos eyepieces

Celestron Wedge, Canon EOS 7D

Oberwerk 20x65 ED Deluxe binoculars, Oberwerk 8x42 Sport ED binoculars, Oberwerk Series 4000 tripod with Series 5000 head, Oberwerk Series 2000 monopod (for airline travel)
Jay6821 United States of America
Earth Ambassador

Post by Jay6821 »

There is a small cemetery a few miles from my house that I occasionally go to. It's darker than my backyard, but the key feature for me is that it is surrounded by corn fields so I have a clear view in all directions. It's also peaceful and the residents are quiet, unlike the teenagers who live down the street from my house.
Celestron NexStar Evolution 8, StarSense AutoAlign, 1.25 "Stellarvue Dielectric Diagonal, Celestron X-Cel LX eyepieces, 2" Celestron diagonal, 2" Luminos eyepieces

Celestron Wedge, Canon EOS 7D

Oberwerk 20x65 ED Deluxe binoculars, Oberwerk 8x42 Sport ED binoculars, Oberwerk Series 4000 tripod with Series 5000 head, Oberwerk Series 2000 monopod (for airline travel)
turonrambar
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by turonrambar »

Thanks for sharing your work. It’s beautiful work, because the photograph draws me in and I’m thinking where, when I could be, I hear the “clanking” too. :-)
Meade OTA f/8 12” on a CEM120 iOptron Mount,
G10 One Shot CMOS Color Camera, QHY 2” Filter Wheel, QHY OAG, SVBony SV305 guide camera
Canon T3i 60D Prime Focus and Eyepiece Projection,
ASCOM 6.5 SP1, Windows 10 Professional
LX850 Mount, ETX125, LX200 f/10 8” GPS, Meade 6” f/4 Newton Reflector on an Equatorial Mount