I'm a noob all over again

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Don Alvarez
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

I'm a noob all over again

Post by Don Alvarez »

It's been probably more than five months since my last observation. It has been a misery with the weather or being unable to go when the weather was good, so when the astronomy club said the dark site trek for tonight was on, I rushed to get some equipment ready that hasn't seen the light of day (or night) in months. Now, I probably should have just loaded up that which I am familiar, the Dob, but I also have a lot of stuff I picked up months ago that literally has never been used yet so that's what I've decided to bring instead - EP's mostly, but more specific is the LX70 mount. I know how EQ mounts work, but I'm clueless about drift alignment. Can someone in the know give me a quick primer or point me towards one so I can take a crash course and no be totally clueless when I go out there tonight?

Much obliged.
Telescopes: 10" SkyLine Dobsonian, 6" Apertura F5 Newt, Celestron Nextar GT90, Meade Infinity 80
EP: 5.5mm, 8.8mm, 14mm, 20mm, 24mm Meade 5000 UWA's, BCO's w/ Q-Turret, 26mm, 32mm, 40mm Meade 4000 Plossls, Orion Expanse, 30mm, 20mm, 15mm GSO Superview, Various others.
Binocs: 15x70 Celestron Skymaster, 10x50 Levenhuk Karma Pro, 10x42 Bushnell, 8x42 Sans & Streiffe
Mounts: Meade LX70 with dual axis motors, Celestron GT, More miscellaneous tripods than a Martian invasion.

"The heavens themselves, the planets, and this center observe degree, priority, and place,
Insisture, course, proportion, season, form, office, and custom, in all line of order.”
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Re: I'm a noob all over again

Post by helicon »

Glad that you will be observing this evening! Sounds like it has been awhile.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

https://www.backyardastronomy.net/drift ... ial-mount/

Have fun, I hope the weather holds for you :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Don Alvarez
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Don Alvarez »

Thanks Gabby!

This is good. This uses a camera, but it seems I can substitute a reticle eyepiece and use this same process.
Telescopes: 10" SkyLine Dobsonian, 6" Apertura F5 Newt, Celestron Nextar GT90, Meade Infinity 80
EP: 5.5mm, 8.8mm, 14mm, 20mm, 24mm Meade 5000 UWA's, BCO's w/ Q-Turret, 26mm, 32mm, 40mm Meade 4000 Plossls, Orion Expanse, 30mm, 20mm, 15mm GSO Superview, Various others.
Binocs: 15x70 Celestron Skymaster, 10x50 Levenhuk Karma Pro, 10x42 Bushnell, 8x42 Sans & Streiffe
Mounts: Meade LX70 with dual axis motors, Celestron GT, More miscellaneous tripods than a Martian invasion.

"The heavens themselves, the planets, and this center observe degree, priority, and place,
Insisture, course, proportion, season, form, office, and custom, in all line of order.”
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Here's another link that doesn't use a camera, just so you can compare to make sure you have all the info needed to accomplish this.
https://www.skyandtelescope.com/astrono ... alignment/

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Enjoy, it's been real clear all week here, but now that the weekend is here....

Thick clouds :(
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Don Alvarez
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Don Alvarez »

The trial run went well. I think I got the alignment down pretty good, I'd get a target in the eyepiece then go fiddle with the GT mount and come back and it was still right there centered.

The negative is that every once in a while I'd come back and the target was gone, I'd look to find the DEC clutch nut had somehow worked itself loose. These things are only supposed to be finger tight right? I put a little extra oomph on it but it still kept coming loose. 3 times it did this. Any idea why?

Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

It is good to see you active again, Don !
I usually tighten those clutches pretty tight.

I am looking forward to your postings.
Don Alvarez
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Don Alvarez »

Don Quixote wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:49 pm It is good to see you active again, Don !

Thanks Don! I'll try torqueing it down a bit more next time. Its just curious I had that problem on one axis but not the other. I was talking to one of the other gents who was out there imaging and he said seemed odd to him too. Here's the thing though: motor controls on the LX70 are sooooo slooooowww. I find I have to release the clutches to go manual when repositioning and lock them back in again when I have it centered. I find it would be inconvenient if I need to make them super tight each time.

I am just happy to be going again. Hiatus has made me stupid rusty, and what's worse my main objective was equipment testing more so than observing really. Spent way too much time mucking around with the alignment on the GT mount; probably my fault. Two star alignment was a no go, in the end I just did an alignment on Jupiter and that seemed to track well enough. I probably spent less time doing the drift alignment on the LX70. I did finally get a chance to try the 2" Kellner's (E-Lux) in the long frac. I was pleased with what I saw though their intended use for outreach is probably a no-go. They are just too sensitive to eye position, so I may end up selling these. Experiments with the focal reducer on the camera were also a bust - not enough "in" focus. Though I'm not done there yet, in my ineptitude it didn't dawn on me to remove the diagonal to try and shorten the light path, so that'll be back on the table for next session, though I'm already considering perhaps getting a more suitable camera and/or a more suitable OTA. Hopefully winter down here continues to produce good skies.

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

There are a couple of simple things you can try, the lever has a toothed insert in it.
Loosen the lever and move it back one or two teeth. This will give you the ability to put a bit more torque on it when tightening.
The other is to remove the lever, snug the brass insert in the mount a bit and then reinstall the lever.
If there is any slack from factory installation this will remove it and you can put much move torque on the lever without hitting the end stop.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Don Alvarez wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:32 pm
Don Quixote wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:49 pm It is good to see you active again, Don !

Thanks Don! I'll try torqueing it down a bit more next time. Its just curious I had that problem on one axis but not the other. I was talking to one of the other gents who was out there imaging and he said seemed odd to him too. Here's the thing though: motor controls on the LX70 are sooooo slooooowww. I find I have to release the clutches to go manual when repositioning and lock them back in again when I have it centered. I find it would be inconvenient if I need to make them super tight each time.

I am just happy to be going again. Hiatus has made me stupid rusty, and what's worse my main objective was equipment testing more so than observing really. Spent way too much time mucking around with the alignment on the GT mount; probably my fault. Two star alignment was a no go, in the end I just did an alignment on Jupiter and that seemed to track well enough. I probably spent less time doing the drift alignment on the LX70. I did finally get a chance to try the 2" Kellner's (E-Lux) in the long frac. I was pleased with what I saw though their intended use for outreach is probably a no-go. They are just too sensitive to eye position, so I may end up selling these. Experiments with the focal reducer on the camera were also a bust - not enough "in" focus. Though I'm not done there yet, in my ineptitude it didn't dawn on me to remove the diagonal to try and shorten the light path, so that'll be back on the table for next session, though I'm already considering perhaps getting a more suitable camera and/or a more suitable OTA. Hopefully winter down here continues to produce good skies.
I also enjoy the equipment testing part, Don. I think that is why I have so many different types of telescopes.

DITTO to what Gabby suggested on the clutch issue. I have had to do this on my LXD75 mount. It is an easy adjustment to make.
Don Alvarez
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Don Alvarez »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:39 pm There are a couple of simple things you can try, the lever has a toothed insert in it.
Loosen the lever and move it back one or two teeth. This will give you the ability to put a bit more torque on it when tightening.
The other is to remove the lever, snug the brass insert in the mount a bit and then reinstall the lever.
If there is any slack from factory installation this will remove it and you can put much move torque on the lever without hitting the end stop.
I may have incorrectly identified the wrong part. Its not the black clutch levers that are giving me issue, those are fine. Its the silver clutch nut that goes on the adjustment arms when you install the motor kit which allow you to disengage the motors so you can use manual control. That is what is working lose on me.

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

That is a bit strange, mine are normally only snug to work. If I think of something I will post it.
Gabrielle
Don Alvarez
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Don Alvarez »

Thanks. I'm probably going to set it up in the living room and let it run to see if I can tell what's going on by daylight.