New to Astronomy

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
taxman0720
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

New to Astronomy

Post by taxman0720 »

Hello Everyone. I am getting ready to make my first purchase and I am thinking about getting a Celestron Nexstar 6se as my first scope. I like the idea it is enclosed and should not have to worry about adjusting mirrors. I also like the simple mount and computerized goto. I eventually want to dabble in astrophotography and from what I read, it does a decent job. Before I make this purchase, I would like to get some input about this scope and feelings about other scopes that will give me more bang for my buck. I would like to keep it in about the same price range and it needs to be easy to load in my SUV and take it on the road.

I am looking forward to reading the information you have on this forum. Thanks for any help.
Celestron NexStar 6SE
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Re: New to Astronomy

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Hello and welcome, glad you could make it over from AF :)

The SCT, Mak and refractors are normally good for holding collimation but SCT and Maks require a fair amount of time to acclimate.
They also have narrower field of views but work well for planetary, lunar, the brighter DSOs.
A SCT is considered a good general purpose telescope as it will let you do a bit of everything.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Hello and Welcome to the Forums!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Shabadoo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Shabadoo »

Hello and Welcome.
Jeff
Dad Joke King (ask my kids); Cereal killer
Orion Skyview pro 8 f5.
Binos: Polaris/wingspan 8x42 Ed/HD
JCINGA
Moon Ambassador

Post by JCINGA »

Welcome to the forum

That’s a great choice for a first scope. It will help you enjoy more gazing and less setup and understanding of the mechanics.
Meade LX200 12" CLS, Orion XT8i, Meade ETX70
Televue: 17mmNAG, 55mmPL, 2Xpowermate, Ex.SCi 4.7mm, Orion Strat 13mm
Baader 2" Moon&sky, Orion 2" 13%
Meade giant field tripod, bobs knobs, peterson focuser, Telerad
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

The 6SE is a great scope!
It will show you a lot, and is quite portable.

That said, it might not be the best for AP (astrophotography)
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

PapaFox
Mars Ambassador

Post by PapaFox »

Welcome and hello! I agree with others, it is a good first scope. I had a 5se and really enjoyed it.
SV70T, celestron 8" sct, avx, polemaster, zwo 224, zwo 178,
drock
Saturn Ambassador

Post by drock »

Welcome to the TSS. Enjoy the stars.
Z10 Dobsonian, Starblast 4.5, a few Russell 2" Konigs, and various other eyepieces.
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I was thinking the 6SE is a Mak. I see I was mistaken.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hi and welcome!

You will really enjoy that scope! Good to have you here with us!

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
taxman0720
Earth Ambassador

Post by taxman0720 »

Thank you all for the input and make me feel I am on the right track. As far as pictures are concerned, I am going to just start with short exposures of moon, Jupiter and Saturn. The good thing is this scope has an optional wedge you can buy so if I get really serious on astrophotography, I can get that. I look forward to becoming a part of this community.
Celestron NexStar 6SE
TCampbell United States of America
Moon Ambassador

Post by TCampbell »

Welcome!

I think you'll enjoy using that scope visually. It's a fairly compact scope so I think it fits your needs for taking on the road. Just a caution about astrophotography... I think you may find it has limitations w.r.t. astrophotography.

Astrophotography comes in "tiers" of complexity (and equipment demands).

At a simple level, a very wide-angle lens and a stationary tripod can take photos of the night sky (no telescope needed). You can also get a "tracking" head that attaches to an ordinary photo tripod and this will let you use a camera & ordinary camera lenses to take narrower images of targets in the sky. Even a "long" lens for a camera is considered "wide field" for astrophotography ... where most telescopes have much longer focal lengths than even long telephoto camera lenses.

Also, the moon is particularly bright and the exposure time is surprisingly short ... so tracking isn't really an issue for lunar photographs. But the NextStar 6SE has a 1500mm focal length. Using a DSLR camera with an APS-C size sensor (the most common sensor size for these cameras), the moon is a tight fit in the frame (it will fit but it will fill the frame of in the 'narrow' dimension of the camera image.) This is because the moon's angular width is typically about 1/2° across (just slightly more than 31 arc-minutes is average, but it's just a bit over 33 arc-minutes wide at perigee. An APS-C camera sensor on a 1500mm focal length scope would have a field of view just slightly over 36 arc-minutes across. So you'd really only have 5 arc-minutes to spare or about 2.5 arc-minutes of margin. This is why I say it'll be a tight fit. But the moon is bright enough that it's a fast exposure ... probably about 1/125th sec at ISO 100 in your f/10 scope.

Some planets make for good targets ... Jupiter, Saturn, and Mars tend to be favorites. Your scope will do well on these. Use a tiny sensor camera that can capture video and grab about 30 seconds worth of video frames. A ZWO ASI120MC-S is a popular camera for this sort of thing if on a budget (it's about $150 USD) and there are choices for those with deeper pockets.

Deep-sky objects require long exposure times (e.g. several minutes each) and this will be very challenging with your scope. This sort of astrophotography is very demanding for several reasons. Those "long" exposures mean that tracking accuracy is particularly important. It requires a solid mount and tripod (the mount is usually more important than the scope). The scope should be equatorially mounted (not alt/az ... although there are scopes that do use alt/az mounts and add a piece of gear called a field de-rotator). At long focal lengths these scopes require the use of an auto-guider to help keep the mount on target. This usually means either a second guide-scope or the use of something called an Off-Axis Guider adapter ... and a guide camera (a second camera). While the main imaging camera is taking a long exposure image (usually several minutes in duration per exposure) the guide camera is taking images every few seconds (e.g. 2-4 second exposures) of a star near that same object. It uses these images to determine how well the mount is tracking and it will send corrections to the mount to keep it on target.

It's easier to learn Deep-Sky astrophotography by starting at shorter focal lengths (e.g. 500mm or so) because it is a bit more forgiving about guiding accuracy.

Keep in mind the optical tube on the NexStar is attached to the mount via a standard "vixen" style dovetail rail. Telescopes are nearly universal in that they are usually attached to the mount via either a "vixen" style dovetail rail or a "losmandy" style dovetail rail. This means that, in the future, you could choose to acquire an equatorial mount with a compatible mounting saddle and move your existing optical tube to the new mount. A Celestron Advanced VX mount would be an example of a budget-priced mount that can do astrophotography so long as the amount of equipment on it isn't very heavy. This means you can certainly start with the Nexstar 6SE scope & mount ... and then just get mount more suitable for longer exposures when you are ready.
Scopes: PlaneWave 12.5 CDK - Meade 14" LX200-ACF - TeleVue NP101is - Lunt LS80Ha
Mounts: Losmandy G11 - Losmandy GM8 - Losmandy StarLapse
Cameras: Canon 60Da - ZWO ASI128MC-Pro - ZWO ASI174MM-Cool - ZWO ASI174MM-Mini
Software (Raspberry Pi): ZWO ASIair - StellarMate / Software (Mac): AstroImager - AstroDSLR - AstroGuider
Wish list items: Weather Controller
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

Welcome to TSS a SCT is a nice scope in the 5-6 inch area its portable and a decent scope not great at anything but probably the best all round scope, I dont do AP but my 5 inch on a go to SLT (Alt/Az) mount is my most used scope. As they say a good scope is the one you use , not sure of prices in your area but the best bang for bucks is a Dobs and so the same price you could probably get a 12 inch one , no comparison , but then its not a Go TO and certainly not that portable so its depends on your needs. Many have multiple scopes for this reason
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Hello and welcome.

That's a good choice for a first scope. Lunar and planetary images will be quite pleasing for you. Longer exposure deep-sky object astrophotography will be a bit problematic on this scope with its Alt-Az mount but the problems are not insurmountable (pun intended)!

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

taxman0720
Earth Ambassador

Post by taxman0720 »

TCampbell - thanks for the detailed response and will have to do some more reading to understand everything said, but I want to clarify one item. I have a Nikon D5500 (crop sensor) and Nikon D750 (full frame) cameras. To do short exposures 30 seconds and under, which camera would be better to use?
Celestron NexStar 6SE
Markmjm United States of America
Mars Ambassador

Post by Markmjm »

Whatever scope you end up purchasing, I hope you enjoy it, and welcome to the forum. 😊
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

I wouldn't mind having one of those; good for you! Welcome to TSS, as well :D

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
TCampbell United States of America
Moon Ambassador

Post by TCampbell »

taxman0720 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:36 pm TCampbell - thanks for the detailed response and will have to do some more reading to understand everything said, but I want to clarify one item. I have a Nikon D5500 (crop sensor) and Nikon D750 (full frame) cameras. To do short exposures 30 seconds and under, which camera would be better to use?
There are a few reasons why the APS-C size sensor camera (D5500) will probably be easier.

Keep in mind that the diagonal measurement of your camera sensors are roughly 29mm across for the D5500 and about 43mm (maybe 44mm) for the D750.

To attach the camera to the telescope you need a "prime focus adapter" (aka "nosepiece"). This adapter has a barrel that slides into the back of your telescope (typically a 1.25" or 2" barrel) on the front of it, but the back has the correct Nikon bayonet type mount for your cameras.

If you have a 1.25" receiver on the back of the scope, then this works out to 31.75mm ... but you lose a few millimeters for the wall thickness. So you probably have a clear opening of around 28mm across and this would result in perhaps a 1/2mm of vignetting in each corner *if* you use the D5500. But if you use the D750... the opening is much to small so you'll end up with extreme vignetting with the sides and corners of the frame not getting any light.

If you have a 2" receiver on the back of the scope, this gives you 50.8mm outer diameter... and after you subtract a few millimeters for the wall thickness of the tube you still have more than enough space for the full-frame sensor on the D750. BUT... the caveat is that these prime focus adapters are normally two pieces that are threaded together via t-threads. T-threads are M42 threads (42mm outer diameter) and after you subtract a bit for wall thickness you only have around 37 or 38mm inner diameter clearance ... which means you get vignetting anyway on a full-frame camera.

There are a few vendors that sell one-piece prime-focus adapters. So instead of two pieces that thread together with the T-threads... you have one solid machined piece and that means you get more than enough clearance inside.

That fixes the vignetting problem... but you still aren't out of the woods.

You'll also find that the telescope won't project a "flat" field 44mm across (telescopes that can project a large flat field suitable for use with full-frame or larger cameras are very expensive.) This means that even if you get around the vignetting problem, you'll likely find that the stars near the edge of the field don't look as good and you want to crop anyway. So... you may as well just use the D5500.
Scopes: PlaneWave 12.5 CDK - Meade 14" LX200-ACF - TeleVue NP101is - Lunt LS80Ha
Mounts: Losmandy G11 - Losmandy GM8 - Losmandy StarLapse
Cameras: Canon 60Da - ZWO ASI128MC-Pro - ZWO ASI174MM-Cool - ZWO ASI174MM-Mini
Software (Raspberry Pi): ZWO ASIair - StellarMate / Software (Mac): AstroImager - AstroDSLR - AstroGuider
Wish list items: Weather Controller