Not sure where to start in this hobby?

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Ozman
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

Not sure where to start in this hobby?

Post by Ozman »

You've always been fascinated by the night sky, and dreamed of owning your own telescope, and now you're ready to take that plunge!

But where do I start? I've done the "google" searches, read the online reviews, even watched a ton of "youtube" videos and now I'm more confused than ever.

The best way to ease that confusion and answer many, many questions without spending a fortune and with practically ZERO risk is to get a set of binoculars.

Many times these great instruments are overlooked or thought incapable, nothing could be further from the truth. They will show/teach you a TON of stuff, some of it better than any telescope could.

It is the easiest, most natural and comfortable way of viewing using both eyes and gives you an immersive correctly oriented image (very useful when learning the night skies). It is the most portable instrument, easily taken anywhere, day or night as they are also useful during the day. And they continue to be extremely useful no matter what scope/scopes you have. With solar filters they are great for viewing the sun.

Then there comes the issue of cost. I don't really want to invest a huge sum in a hobby I'm not sure I'll like. The binoculars are a minimal investment in a multiple use instrument that can easily be recouped. But you will keep the binoculars and they will answer many of your questions, point you in the direction you want to go, and give you endless hours of observing bliss, all while learning to navigate our skies.

So what binoculars do I get?

The most popular beginning set is usually some 10x50s. They hit the sweet spot for most criteria.

Some things you probably want to stay away from considering binoculars for astronomy, red (ruby) tinted lenses and zoom binoculars (variable magnification). Porro prism are generally preferred over roof prism. And magnifications above 10x become to difficult for hand holding (more than the weight of them has to be considered).

One other thing you probably do want to consider. Any binocular will show you more when it is mounted, stabilization becomes essential as magnification increases. A simple monopod increases stability substantially with smaller low power binoculars and is effective with instruments as high as 15x. But a tripod is highly recommended for anything 15x and above (or if the binoculars are heavy). For a set of binoculars to reach their FULL potential, a parallel mount is required.

But all that is really required is a small set of binoculars, a clear night, and a person eager to behold the wonders of the heavens.
AD12, 8" LX200ACF, 120 Skywatcher, ES 102CF APO, AR102, ST100, 90mm Mak, ST80, 60ETX
Oberwerk BT-82XL-ED, 25x100s, 15x70s, 8x56s, Kasai 2.3x40s, Celestron AVX, CG4, SLT, LCM
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1043

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Re: Not sure where to start?

Post by Gordon »

I feel a "stickie" coming!!!
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Awesome thread, Oz!
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

AbbN
In Memory
In Memory

Post by AbbN »

Well.....I had a pair of of Bushnell 10x50 binos long before I got my first scope. I still have them although I use my Celestron 15x70 binos mush more now :)

Great advice Oz!
Abb
TELESCOPES: Celestron Omni XLT 120, Explore Scientific AR102, Orion ST80 Refractors; 8" Skywatcher Dob; Orion Apex 102 Mak; Coronado PST. LENSES: ES 4.7, 6.7, 11, 18 and 30mm 82° EPs; Baader 24mm 68°; Luminos 15mm 82°; Meade 8-24mm Zoom. OTHER: CG4+16" Orion Pier Extension; Celestron Skymaster 20x80 binos etc;
Bortle 8 :(
Brian
Moon Ambassador

Post by Brian »

Agreed! Binoculars are great. I love spotting brighter DSOs with my binoculars while I take photos with the telescope. However, it was an aquired taste. I think I enjoy it now because I have a mental picture of that dim little smudge. I also like finding something in the binoculars for the first time. It’s like astro where’s Waldo.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Nice post Oz and you really have made the case for binos convincingly. I hope all of the beginners read this and take it to heart.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Excellent Oz !
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

!00% if you get 25x100 binos they will replace a 8 inch scope as a everyday quick look , but you need a proper bino parallel mount
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Thank you Oz

Just what we needed,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Ozypic
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Ozypic »

With the weather being what its been this year I have found the 10x50's are the only gear not gathering cobwebs. Im thinking of going bigger now and a easy mount for them.
Phill
Phill. Dreaming of Clear Skys .... :D :D :D
SCOPE : Skywatcher 120X600 ST Achromatic Refractor. 
EP's : 25mm & 10mm Plossl , Celestron 8/24mm Zoom EP,
Filters : Solar filter, Badder Fringe Killer & Moon/Skyglow. 
MOUNT : Skywatcher Star Discovery goto Mount.
CAMERAS : ZWO 120 asi MC. / Sony HX400V 50X Zoom.
Binoculars : Saxon 10x50
Markmjm United States of America
Mars Ambassador

Re: Not sure where to start in this hobby?

Post by Markmjm »

Thanks for the advice Oz. I do own a pair of Celestron sky master 15x70 binoculars. They are good for getting a quick view of the sky, but you are absolutely right about needing a mount of some kind to hold them steady. I don't have one, and boy, does the sky look shaky! 😅 Any suggestions on a good mount? Thanks, Mark
Gulf Coast Guy
Mars Ambassador

Post by Gulf Coast Guy »

Just in case you don't know what a parallel mount is, Pardon me while I gloat.
Image20190704_105845 by pat w1, on Flickr
OTA's: 203mm f10 Meade SCT (LXD75); Antares 80mm Refractor w/William Optics APOGrade f6.9 objective; Orion Starseeker 80 f11.2 Refractor
Mount/tripod's: Meade LXD-75 EQ; Orion Starseeker IV ALT/AZ; Celestron Heavy Duty ALT/AZ Farpoint UBM (Universal Binocular Mount)
Eyepieces:Meade - 26mm plossl, 12mm Astrometric; GSO (OPT badge) 2" Superview 50mm & 30mm 1.25" 15mm; TMB Planetary Series 9mm, 6mm, & 4mm: 10mm & 23mm 60° that came with the 80mm f11.2
Barlows: Orion 2x Shorty; Meade 4000 Series 3x
Binoculars:Brunton 10x50 Celestron Skymaster 15x70 Oberwerk 25x100 IF delux
Ozman
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Ozman »

Markmjm wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:54 am Thanks for the advice Oz. I do own a pair of Celestron sky master 15x70 binoculars. They are good for getting a quick view of the sky, but you are absolutely right about needing a mount of some kind to hold them steady. I don't have one, and boy, does the sky look shaky! 😅 Any suggestions on a good mount? Thanks, Mark
I use the Farpoint parallel mount from Oberwerk. One thing to look for in a parallel mount is a pivoting "L" bracket where the binoculars attach. The smaller mount sold by Orion does not have this and you must observe directly over the tripod which means you must stand. With the "L" bracket, you can sit to the side of the tripod and recline which makes a HUGE difference.

https://oberwerk.com/product/farpoint-u ... lar-mount/
AD12, 8" LX200ACF, 120 Skywatcher, ES 102CF APO, AR102, ST100, 90mm Mak, ST80, 60ETX
Oberwerk BT-82XL-ED, 25x100s, 15x70s, 8x56s, Kasai 2.3x40s, Celestron AVX, CG4, SLT, LCM
Gulf Coast Guy
Mars Ambassador

Post by Gulf Coast Guy »

Ozman wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:53 am
Markmjm wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:54 am Thanks for the advice Oz. I do own a pair of Celestron sky master 15x70 binoculars. They are good for getting a quick view of the sky, but you are absolutely right about needing a mount of some kind to hold them steady. I don't have one, and boy, does the sky look shaky! 😅 Any suggestions on a good mount? Thanks, Mark
I use the Farpoint parallel mount from Oberwerk. One thing to look for in a parallel mount is a pivoting "L" bracket where the binoculars attach. The smaller mount sold by Orion does not have this and you must observe directly over the tripod which means you must stand. With the "L" bracket, you can sit to the side of the tripod and recline which makes a HUGE difference.

https://oberwerk.com/product/farpoint-u ... lar-mount/
BTW that's a Farpoint UBM in the image above. The swing hinge is an excellent option.It's Fully capable of supporting a large Binocular.The Oberwerk Deluxe 25x100 IF weigh 10 lb.

The UBM is mounted on a modified celestron std Alt-Az Mount/Tripod.
OTA's: 203mm f10 Meade SCT (LXD75); Antares 80mm Refractor w/William Optics APOGrade f6.9 objective; Orion Starseeker 80 f11.2 Refractor
Mount/tripod's: Meade LXD-75 EQ; Orion Starseeker IV ALT/AZ; Celestron Heavy Duty ALT/AZ Farpoint UBM (Universal Binocular Mount)
Eyepieces:Meade - 26mm plossl, 12mm Astrometric; GSO (OPT badge) 2" Superview 50mm & 30mm 1.25" 15mm; TMB Planetary Series 9mm, 6mm, & 4mm: 10mm & 23mm 60° that came with the 80mm f11.2
Barlows: Orion 2x Shorty; Meade 4000 Series 3x
Binoculars:Brunton 10x50 Celestron Skymaster 15x70 Oberwerk 25x100 IF delux
ewomack United States of America
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by ewomack »

A few years ago I attended a very friendly and supportive star party and people just let others look at and even use their equipment. Someone had a fancy chair fitted with a head bar and mounted binoculars. I was skeptical, but since the owner offered, I sat down and was very astounded at the details they displayed. My skepticism fizzled. So, having had the experience of being blown away by a seemingly simple pair of binoculars, I think this is an awesome suggestion for starting out. Now I need to pick some up and drive out to some areas with less light pollution (I live in a large metro area and rarely see stars over the hum, buzz and glow of civilization).
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

ewomack wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:00 am A few years ago I attended a very friendly and supportive star party and people just let others look at and even use their equipment. Someone had a fancy chair fitted with a head bar and mounted binoculars. I was skeptical, but since the owner offered, I sat down and was very astounded at the details they displayed. My skepticism fizzled. So, having had the experience of being blown away by a seemingly simple pair of binoculars, I think this is an awesome suggestion for starting out. Now I need to pick some up and drive out to some areas with less light pollution (I live in a large metro area and rarely see stars over the hum, buzz and glow of civilization).
I take my 15x70 binos on camping trips on the north California coast. When the fog lifts the views are simply amazing - absolutely no light pollution and the Milky Way descending into the ocean in the west. Couldn't get any better! I hope you pick up a pair Ed.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Markmjm United States of America
Mars Ambassador

Post by Markmjm »

Thanks for the advice on the bino mount guys. I'll check out the link you suggested Oz.

Mark
mcolbert
Saturn Ambassador

Post by mcolbert »

on reading the topic my first thought was; RUN! (in the general direction of away - at speed!) :)

The passion or is that the possession becomes part of us. It is a very basic response, as a human being, to that in which we exist.
Refractor - APQ 130 Reflector - Meade SCT Au coating. Mount - AYOMaster (on order)
Cameras - Blads, D70s, D3300, Lunar and Planetary Cameras (2)
DIY Glass - German military and opthalmic sourced items, AGFA AVIPHOT DIA C
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Don't forget collimation. No point having binos that only show double images.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Historyman
Earth Ambassador

Post by Historyman »

I have 2 pairs of binos, a Nikon Aculon 7x50s and Celestron 15x70s, plus a metal mount. I have seen some plans/pics for a diy parallel mount that I shall have a stab at soon.
Nikon Aculon 7x50 binos
Celestron 15x70 binos
Skywatcher Startravel 102 (AZ) SynScan GOTO refractor
Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian