Star Hopping

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Don Quixote
Articles: 0

Star Hopping

Post by Don Quixote »

I thought I would be an unlikely person to post about this topic having been at it for such a short time. But then I thought my experiences in the learning curve might be useful to others at my skill level, and maybe ellicit helpful comment from the old hands.

My star hops are usually confined in scope. No pun intended. I mean that my hops are not cross sky marathons.

The beginning for me was with the planisphere, the Jumbo Edition of Pocket Star Atlas, (which I purchased a month or so after I began to use the planisphere), my Pentax 8X43 binoculars, and my ES 80mm telescope.
Resized_20190809_151542_78.jpeg
I would scan the sky with my binoculars in the area of my planisphere view. I believe the first time I did this was shortly after I had viewed M6 and M7 in Scorpius by accident. I saw on the planisphere the indicators for M8, M20, and M17.

I opened the Pocket Star Atlas and with the help of a small flashlight over which I had taped some red cellophane I studied the area. This is on page 67 of this atlas and my copy is fastooned with notes and checkmarks.

I used the stub of a pencil to mark off distances, and as I studied the overall field I realized the orientation of the atlas did not quite coincide with the actual bino view. I made a mental note of this. I thought through as best I could what the measure of my bino fov was and how that related to the area I was targeting. The Pentax have a 6.3° fov. Then I had to think through how to translate hour angle nomenclatur to degrees. I did not really need to think about this because there was a standard of angle measure printed on the inside cover of the atlas. But it was still good to think about it. This is old hat now, but then it was all new to me. I tore a small piece of paper to approximate the fov of my binoculars using the guide on the inside cover of the atlas and covered the atlas view with this to get some sort of idea of what should fill this view. I made many trips back and forth from binoculars to red light and atlas in the back of my van. I could feel an understanding growing. Then I thought through the same things with the fov of my telescope and the EP I was going to use.
Resized_20190809_151636_3200.jpeg
The result is the following report which I posted in 2017 on AF under the alias "Eagleheaf".

After setting up I went back to the Binos to let my scope cool. I continued to be amazed at the look of the Milky Way. In about 20 minutes I was on the EP with my eye on M7. My idea was to practice navigation again. M7 to M6. Easy I know. I could see so well I could have stood behind the scope and looked over the top to point at these two. I wanted to see the new fuzzy I had seen in the Binos west of M24. On the chart I measured it roughly 13 degrees north of M6 and about 2.5 degrees East. With the TV22 pan 21.8X I had a TFOV of 3.1 degrees. I drove north 4 FOV and nudged East a bit. BINGO. It felt so good. This was the first time I had put this all together. I was smiling!

M23
M23 is large and bold. Much more dispersed than the clusters 6568 and 6583 I had seen a few nights before. With a 3X barlow and my Pen 14XW and 102X Mag many, many more stars resolved. I could not count them all. Averted vision brought even more to view. Looking straight on I counted over 80. 

I wanted to get back to M8 which I had seen before. Back to the TV22pan, no barlow, roughly 4.5 degrees south, 2 degrees East from M23. Drive down one FOV plus a tad and east 2/3 of an FOV. Again...Powerball Winner! 
I checked the charts again. M20, Trifid Nebula. Not sure if I could see it. But it was nearly in my FOV already. It was an easy tiny jog and a nudge to M20.

M20
M20 presented a large field of dim nebulosity. 2X barlow and TV22Pan 1.5 degree TFOV. It did not look like the AP images I have seen...I did not expect that it would. I could not resolve the trifurcated nebulosity I see in the AP images. But this was a beauty. The south eastern portion of the Neb is roundish with two tiny but very bright star points just off center in this part of the Neb. North of this area was more dim Neb and a small group of stars. All these star points were within the Neb field in my view.

From M20 I tracked back to M23, just to see if I could do it. From M23 I checked charts and plotted course to M17. I have been here before so I knew what it should look like when I arrived. I had M16 in my sites...in the South Eastern corner of Serpans Cauda.

From M23, M17 was about 3 degrees North and about 5 degrees East. With TV22pan I drove North one full FOV and East 1.5 FOV and was nearly there. A very little circle jogging found my target. M17. Again I was amazed how this was working. As long as charts are somewhat accurate I think it will work anywhere in the sky when I have a known starting point. 

I left out the parts where I moved the wrong way because I get mixed up looking in the EP at the direction the view moves...it moves opposite to the movement of the scope....well there...I did not leave that part out...it happened more than once. :-)

M16 THE EAGLE
So now I am on M17 and I want M16. Easy right...north not quite a complete FOV and a nudge west. But when I did that...nothing was there...I thought. It just looked like another little cluster...small but bright...with averted vision more bright. As I continued my view with intermittant averted vision the little field broadened into a dim nebulosity and the small cluster suddenly bloomed on the north side of the dim Neb field. Drilling again with 3X barlow and 22pan the cluster filled and I could not count all the stars again....like M23 but this time the field was much more dense and smaller. Averted vision now presented a rather brilliant cluster of stars tightly packed....this is as I saw it. I could not count with averted vision, but It seemed like hundreds...am I exagerating...maybe, but not to deceive. As I continued my view the Nebulosity began to make a larger presence. The field protrudes at the top and folds out to each side...I suppose that is supposed to be the Eagle? Very crude. This is as I saw it.

This was my first experience in manual navigation. It was crude, but it worked for me and lead me to many more adventures under the stars.

I am glad I began my observing in this way.

I want to thank Bryan (Bladekeeper). He has encouraged me from the time we first met back in February 2017. And Gabby helped me understand exit pupil and how to calculate fov among other optical secrets. There are many who have helped me in this hobby.

I also want to mention the book "Turn Left at Orion". I have just been reviewing it again. It is a wonderful resource for starting in this particular style of observing.

Peace and clear skies.
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1045

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Re: Star Hopping

Post by Gordon »

Mark,

Hope you don't mind. I've been adding these to the 'Stickies' list at the top of this forum section.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

I am good with that Gordon if you are.
StarBru United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by StarBru »

I enjoyed this post! I wish I could do this as you do. I have a very haphazard way with my viewing sessions, maybe its my ADD/ADHD, I don't know. It might be that I lack the patience. I have been off and on through the years as a visual observer, and I think I'm hit or miss when I try to find something new to observe. Either way, I can see just from reading your post that I need to change the way I observe. I also have the book Turn Left at Orion in digital form. Maybe this will help me to be a little more consistent with my viewing style. Thank you!
Bruce

Refractors: Meade AR-5 127mm f/9.3, Meade ST-80 f/5 and Meade 60mm f/12, Jason 60mm f/15 #313, Jason 60mm f/12 #306 S7, Bushnell Sky Chief III 60mm f/15.
Reflectors/Catadioptrics: Meade 10" F/4 Schmidt-Newtonian, Galileo 120mm f/8.3 Newtonian, Meade 2045D 4" f/10 SCT, Meade ETX-90EC f/13.8 & Sarblue 60mm f/12.5 Maksutov-Cassegrains.
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro & Meade LXD55 Equatorial mounts, ES Twilight II and Meade 2102 ALT/AZ mounts, a modified 10" SkyQuest Dobsonian mount, various 60mm EQ mounts.
Misc: Celestron 20x80mm binoculars, Revolution II Imager/accessories, & lots of optical accessories/eyepieces.
Projects: 8" f/2.9 and 65mm f/10 reflectors, Dobson-style binocular mirror mount.
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

StarBru wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:09 pm I enjoyed this post! I wish I could do this as you do. I have a very haphazard way with my viewing sessions, maybe its my ADD/ADHD, I don't know. It might be that I lack the patience. I have been off and on through the years as a visual observer, and I think I'm hit or miss when I try to find something new to observe. Either way, I can see just from reading your post that I need to change the way I observe. I also have the book Turn Left at Orion in digital form. Maybe this will help me to be a little more consistent with my viewing style. Thank you!
Thank you Bruce.
I am sure that you get as much satisfaction as I do with your own personal style.

The thing I found very useful was the understanding that I can use my scope field of view, no matter what EP I am using to measure my movements in the sky, and understanding how my mount movement relates to the star atlas. I am using an Equitorial mount. In this way I can follow directly the Hour angle, RA, that is illustrated in the atlas and travel a known course on the atlas in measured steps. When the section of the sky is less populated it is a bit more of a challenge. I can then move in declination in the same way of the atlas. I am not so good with the Alt/Az mount, but that is just me.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Star hopping for me has been a considerable adventure. When I got back into the hobby in 2012 I found I had forgotten the star hopping I did as a teenager with my 8" Dob. Learning to use the RACI was kind of difficult, so I used 7x50 binos as a "finder" for the stars that I wished to hop from. I try to get within 2 degrees or so of a target if not closer in. Gradually I improved so my success rate became about 80%. When I got the 18" Dob I only used a telrad to star-hop, so that was interesting. With the AR 152 I just sight up the tube and find objects in the eyepiece the John Dobson way (he never used a finder scope) the 1.7 degree field of view makes it fairly easy, then I swap out the 30mm eyepiece for something more powerful to zero in on an object. Some of the folks I consider to be "pros" in this area are Bryan (bladekeeper) and Alan (KT4HX) who have pulled in some awesome totals for an evening with their star-hopping skills. Mine are not quite as good but I'm still working on it.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

helicon wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:07 am Star hopping for me has been a considerable adventure. When I got back into the hobby in 2012 I found I had forgotten the star hopping I did as a teenager with my 8" Dob. Learning to use the RACI was kind of difficult, so I used 7x50 binos as a "finder" for the stars that I wished to hop from. I try to get within 2 degrees or so of a target if not closer in. Gradually I improved so my success rate became about 80%. When I got the 18" Dob I only used a telrad to star-hop, so that was interesting. With the AR 152 I just sight up the tube and find objects in the eyepiece the John Dobson way (he never used a finder scope) the 1.7 degree field of view makes it fairly easy, then I swap out the 30mm eyepiece for something more powerful to zero in on an object. Some of the folks I consider to be "pros" in this area are Bryan (bladekeeper) and Alan (KT4HX) who have pulled in some awesome totals for an evening with their star-hopping skills. Mine are not quite as good but I'm still working on it.
I do a similar thing with my fracs Michael. I sometimes stand behind with my binos and aim the scope like aiming a rifle.

Yup.
Bryan and Alan have demonstrated the skill profoundly.
I should have mentioned Alan in my ending remarks. For a time I was rehearsing his reports on AF in the IDSA. Great practitioners both !
KingNothing13 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

Bryan and Alan definitely are the gold standard for star hopping around these parts.

I am always impressed. I wish I could be 1/4 as productive and good as them!
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

Arctic
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Arctic »

Most star-hopping is not a long-distance endeavor--unless you are in some bleak part of the sky like Camelopardalis, etc. In general, you aim your finder at the nearest naked eye star to the DSO you seek, and then you hop with the finder along the dimmer field stars in your atlas to your object. Sometimes a deeper atlas is required and you hop with the main scope. Quasars and dim galaxies in star-poor fields come to mind...
Gordon
Scopes: Meade LX10 8" SCT, Explore Scientific AR102 Refractor on ES Twilight 1 Mount, Oberwerks 15X70 Binos, Nikon Action Extreme 10X50 Binos.
Eyepieces: ES 68* 24mm, ES 68* 20mm, ES 82* 11mm, ES 82* 8.8mm
Observing: Messier Objects--110/110, H1 Objects-- 400/400. Hundreds of additional NGC Objects. Significant Comets: Kohoutek, West, Halley, Hyakatake, Hale-Bopp, McNair, Neowise. Transits of Mercury and Venus.
2017 Total Solar Eclipse
seer
Saturn Ambassador

Post by seer »

The few star hoppings that I have done in the past successfully resulted in a great feeling of accomplishment and the ones that I put together myself and performed gave an even greater feeling of accomplishment.
Donald
Tasco BRK Essentials Model: 169735 7x35, Celestron Cometron 7x50, Bushnell 10x50 Legacy WP, Oberwerk 15x70 LW, Meade Infinity 60mm AZ Refractor, Bushnell Deep Space 3 inch Reflector, Meade Polaris 80mm EQ Refractor, Meade Polaris 114mm Reflector.
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

Great thread, Mark! One of the added bonuses of star-hopping is the knowledge of the night sky gained from the experience.

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

I have a 1997 edition of the book, "Advanced Skywatching" that has a nice section on Starhopping. It also includes 20 maps and guides that walk you through about 10 objects in each of the constellations it addresses. I think the book is still available:

Dave
Stellarvue SVX127D

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

Unitron48 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:23 pm I have a 1997 edition of the book, "Advanced Skywatching" that has a nice section on Starhopping. It also includes 20 maps and guides that walk you through about 10 objects in each of the constellations it addresses. I think the book is still available:

Dave
Thank you, Dave.
This looks like a great addition to the learning process.
I hope others will also look at this as well.

Cheers !
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Unitron48 »

There is also one other book I used in the past...Star-Hopping - Your Visa to Viewing the Universe: Robert Garfinkle authored this one.

Dave
Stellarvue SVX127D

bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Great thread, Mark!

I loves me some star hopping. :D

I cut my teeth on it with my 10x50 binoculars while lying on an inflatable pool lounger out in the back yard with my laptop sitting on my. If I wanted to see it, by golly I’d better go find it. I didn’t know it was called star-hopping at the time. :lol:

I enjoy the star hop about as much as the actual observing. I get a sense of “getting there” and enjoy the journey. It’s fun to me to build the mental atlas in my head as I am working toward a target. And then after observing, back tracking to my reference point and then moving off to the next target. For me, this results in an intimate knowledge of a constellation (or portion of one) and lends a great deal of satisfaction to me. :)

Great thread again, my friend! :)
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

A wonderful post Mark. The art, and it is an art, of star hopping has unfortunately fallen out of favor with some if not many folks nowadays. My first experiences with it came as a young boy using both an old Gilbert 3 inch newtonian on a rickety alt-az mount as well as 7x50 Tasco binoculars. You mentioned two of my favorite objects from those early times - M6 and M7. I would spend many summer nights ogling those two clusters in the then much darker skies of my hometown backyard. All I had was a planisphere for a long time as resources were not as readily available back then. I am now 65 years old, so I've been doing this a long time, and I would never do it any other way than by manual star hopping.

There certainly is nothing wrong with using push-to or go-to technology as many do now. I'm wholly in favor of whatever method gets folks out under the stars. But for me personally, I will always be a devoted star hopper. The knowledge of the sky I have gained through doing it countless times over the decades is an integral part of my being. When I am at one with the sky, I am at my most comfortable. When I stand beneath a dark country sky and stare up at the firmament, I bear witness nightly to the vast power that is being unleashed within our universe every minute of ever day. That is nothing short of humbling, as I recognize my insignificance in the greater machinations of the universe. But at the same time, I am significant and unique because i have taken the time to admire and relish in the greatness that surrounds us all.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Wow, this is turning into a great thread on star-hopping - something one can always do better I guess.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N