Oh Happy Day Gifted a Telescope

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Oh Happy Day Gifted a Telescope

Post by Frankskywatcher »

Hey everybody,I hope you are enjoying your day,I sure am!
Had people over last night,outside party and by the bonfire I mentioned that I had ordered and was awaiting a Apertura AD 10” and also stated that I would not be receiving till the beginning of March.
This woman who was in attendance said “my late husband had a telescope you can have it“!
So today I went and picked it up but I need help help figuring out the model and I already encountered one problem the gear on the focusing wheels is stripped !
I would appreciate any and all help in identifying the exact model this is and finding the manual for it and figuring out how to fix the stripped gear in the focusing tube.
I can manually move the focuser but I would like to try and fix it if I can.
I’m presently trying to clean it ( I see dust on the main mirror but that’s the last thing I want to attempt at this point) and mount it and see what’s going on with it.
I’m more concerned about just trying to get it up and running if I can.
Enclosed are some picture’s of what I have,although I’m not even sure of what I have.
Looking at the post I should elaborate on what the pictures are.
(1) the back of the main mirror I’m assuring it’s an 4 inch mirror.
(2) shows you the focuser as it’s inside the telescope. I see all the length of threaded gear but the focuser does not come out as far as that strip of metal with the cuts ( gears) it “stops” or hit something that I think is intended to be there.
(3)the focusing wheels and gear, you can see where it stripped out on a few of the teeth on the gear inside the focus tube .
(4) the top of the focus tube inside at the top of the gear “ strip” the first two teeth are worn away.
(4) the mount with counter weight.
(6) what came with it including a Bushnell sport view 4x,15mm and I’m assuming this was an after add on but not sure .
(7) All the EP’s and I don’t know what the two flex cables with turning handles on them are for again no manual so not sure about them.
(8) the tube and you can see that the info sticker was removed so I have no way of knowing exactly what this model is ?
(9) all cleaned up and ready to be sighted in !
So again I would appreciate any and all help,
thanks in advance Frank
PS not that I even have it set up yet but the weather here is cloudy for the next few days 😁😂
Attachments
60968454-CD26-40E0-97C1-663C87885981.jpeg
ECD45490-53F2-4984-A512-65DE65CF0CF0.jpeg
533CD690-E86F-433D-A674-EDD041644E26.jpeg
A53D9A2E-EAD6-4E03-9B44-43BA0B320E99.jpeg
F06A5C10-7883-47D1-9EBE-EE8244E6597A.jpeg
4569CF20-A9EC-436F-9CE5-2614AFED8185.jpeg
D2FDB79D-6287-489C-825E-40E449CBE4BB.jpeg
6F64C648-875E-4500-A400-922C3CF0317C.jpeg
33339BAA-65C8-4AD3-93CA-7B9C8589E517.jpeg
Last edited by Frankskywatcher on Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Oh Happy Day Gifted a Telescope

Post by Ylem »

Nice Frank, it's probably the 114 mm.

Sounds like you will need to replace the focuser.

This might work https://www.telescope.com/Orion-Basic-1 ... /13031.uts

Agena has several sizes but all are out of stock.

Oh, check ScopeStuff!
http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_fnc2.htm
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Ylem wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:11 pm Nice Frank, it's probably the 114 mm.

Sounds like you will need to replace the focuser.

This might work https://www.telescope.com/Orion-Basic-1 ... /13031.uts

Agena has several sizes but all are out of stock.

Oh, check ScopeStuff!
http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_fnc2.htm
Bingo yes that’s it and I removed the wheel because with the wheel attached it wouldn’t let the focuser move at all!
I can at least move The focus or manually for now so I’m gonna leave it like that so I can just try to set the scope but you nailed it,thank you!
Attachments
5DAAFEE3-A092-452B-AD19-11630B15E189.jpeg
A9740013-B3E4-4777-9C4F-801691CE1CB3.jpeg
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Have you put an eyepiece in it and checked out the view as best you can during the day time? It would be nice to know if it's still an optically good scope.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

JayTee wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:20 pm Have you put an eyepiece in it and checked out the view as best you can during the day time? It would be nice to know if it's still an optically good scope.
Unfortunately it’s now already dark and cloudy so I have to wait till tomorrow for that.
I cleaned the spotting scope and it works focused on something in the house but way across a big room and it works.
Like you I can’t wait to see what happens tomorrow and I have to manually move the focus tube up and down as you can see in the pictures the focus tube gear is stripped and the wheel is to but I’m going to try manually just to see where it’s at.

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

The better store for Meade stuff is Telescope Warehouse. I checked for you and currently, they don't have a focuser, but their stock changes every week. I have purchased several items from the owner Bill Vorce and they are a reputable company.

https://www.ebay.com/str/telescopewarehouse
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

JayTee wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:03 am The better store for Meade stuff is Telescope Warehouse. I checked for you and currently, they don't have a focuser, but their stock changes every week. I have purchased several items from the owner Bill Vorce and they are a reputable company.

https://www.ebay.com/str/telescopewarehouse
I really appreciate you doing that and you are right I’m going to have to start looking around for one compatible to this telescope but getting it was a pure joy!
Hopefully this will keep me occupied as I await my Apertura AD 10” that won’t be here till the beginning of March.

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Here is the manual for it:
114EQ_AR_Manual_030311.pdf
(4.53 MiB) Downloaded 49 times
Some larger, clearer images would help us spot if there are any issues/ bits missing with it, and why would someone attach a rifle scope to it??
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

The flex cables with handles on are your slow motion controls for the mount.
I cant tell if its a .965 focuser but from the EP provided its looks like it , so if you want to change the focuser to a 1.25 which will be a good thing , you may have to modify the fixings a bit
I dont think the rifle scope was attached to the scope , probably just left in the box by previous owner
The biggest issue with that telescope is the mount/ tripod , the scope is long and even slight movement will cause shaking, certainly if you try to manually move the focuser will be hard to stop it wobbling and shaking
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Lady Fraktor wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:37 am Here is the manual for it: 114EQ_AR_Manual_030311.pdf

Some larger, clearer images would help us spot if there are any issues/ bits missing with it, and why would someone attach a rifle scope to it??

Thank you for the link to the manual,I had found a link for a manual but it was not specifically for this model so thank you that link I appreciate it!
Funny you say that I was wondering the same thing I was actually looking at it and saying to myself how to how to hell did he even mount it .
If you could help me out by telling me what clearer images I should take of what ?
I think everything works,I know the focuser was stripped and I took just the focusing knobs off so that I can manually move the focus or in and out of course just like the old saying goes I got the telescope yesterday it’s been raining cats and dogs here all day I want to take it outside to see if I can at least focus it but until it stops raining I’m in neutral right now!😁
Last edited by Frankskywatcher on Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Richard wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:54 am The flex cables with handles on are your slow motion controls for the mount.
I cant tell if its a .965 focuser but from the EP provided its looks like it , so if you want to change the focuser to a 1.25 which will be a good thing , you may have to modify the fixings a bit
I dont think the rifle scope was attached to the scope , probably just left in the box by previous owner
The biggest issue with that telescope is the mount/ tripod , the scope is long and even slight movement will cause shaking, certainly if you try to manually move the focuser will be hard to stop it wobbling and shaking

Man you are way ahead of me I was already thinking that I was saying to myself how am I going to possibly manually move the focusing job up and down without making the whole telescope move.
I went online and found a PDF manual but it’s just generic for a lot of different models and I noticed that those cables I put one in and it does move the telescope left to right but I’m not even sure where the other cable goes my biggest thing right now is waiting for the rain to stop so I can at least take it outside and see if it works at all try to focus on some just an object!

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

You must check where the actual rack is broken , it may not affect viewing , surely it you put it back the focuser should still work with a little nudge ? as the whole rack is not broken and it may be ok for focus
Your mount is a generic one the one cable is up and down the other left to right to put it easy
Just because its raining you can still test it inside so you get to know it , EQ mounts look complicated but once you get your head around them quite easy and so much better than the simple ALT/AZ mounts like the Dobs you are getting , but good EQ mounts are expensive , the Dobs mount is the cheapest Alt/Az around but then for cheap money you get a big scope and the best for many that do visual only
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Hope you can get the focuser replaced. It's a nice opportunity to get a chance to observe before your AD10 arrives.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Richard wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:38 pm You must check where the actual rack is broken , it may not affect viewing , surely it you put it back the focuser should still work with a little nudge ? as the whole rack is not broken and it may be ok for focus
Your mount is a generic one the one cable is up and down the other left to right to put it easy
Just because its raining you can still test it inside so you get to know it , EQ mounts look complicated but once you get your head around them quite easy and so much better than the simple ALT/AZ mounts like the Dobs you are getting , but good EQ mounts are expensive , the Dobs mount is the cheapest Alt/Az around but then for cheap money you get a big scope and the best for many that do visual only
Thanks for the input I just watched a video where a guy had a “ stuck” focuser and I noticed that the tube went out way farther than it will on mine and I fell like I’m hitting a “ stop” it will not go any further.
I also just realized that the red dot viewfinder on it is missing and I’m not even sure if the viewfinder is the original because in the few videos I could find it looks different, I think this is just a early model of this scope .
In the pictures you can see where the red dot finder is supposed to go on and then you can see where it’s missing on scope.
Then the finder scope even in the manual looks different then the picture I took of what’s actually on the scope .
I’m really scratching my head trying to figure out what happened here in terms of what’s missing what’s not original ( unless this early model came with that viewfinder but that not what’s in the manual ) and in general trying to get this thing up and running !
Attachments
898D4FA6-E63B-45D0-8E2B-70379EC19AD9.jpeg
6658AA18-4210-4D51-8429-746D03A93A75.jpeg
E09620E7-6E79-4EF4-9CD7-B028877E8677.jpeg
A08DB633-04C4-4685-AC84-83B87147D723.jpeg

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

helicon wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:26 pm Hope you can get the focuser replaced. It's a nice opportunity to get a chance to observe before your AD10 arrives.
Yea it’s uphill so far this much I’ve figured out:
(1) the worm gear and the teeth on the focuser are stripped and it also appears stuck as it will not extend out.
Seriously considering taking it off the scope and take it apart to see if I can figure it out , just afraid to not do anything that will make it worse because new focuser for that s ope is not currently available at the moment.
(2) the red dot focuser is missing so I need to try to find one of those .
(3) I’m not sure if the viewfinder is the right one the original one when I look in the manual that I downloaded ( thank you Lady Fractor) looks different but then again I could just have an earlier version of this scope because I noticed that in the few videos I could find of this model they were all blue not black and all the dials on my tripod are also all black not blue like the ones I see in the videos?
Thanks for your input ?

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Congrats on the new old scope Frank! Looks like it needs some TLC but if you manage to bring it back to life you can practice with it until the main scope arrives. Good thing is that collimation process is the same on both scopes, so if you learn it with this one you can apply it to 10" later.

Your scope is an older model and it has the straight through optical finder. That was standard on older scopes before they came out with red dots. It is a bit pain in the neck but can be used. Heck, my first scope even did not have a finder, I learned to aim just sighting with scope tube. :)

Maybe I am not getting it from the pictures but to me the teeth on the wheel and rack look a bit worn but fine. It seems to me that drawtube got stock. If you unscrew the screws holding focuser to the body, does the whole focuser comes off, or the drawtube remains in the scope body?

BTW the focuser has a very basic design. You should be able to take it a part , inspect and reassemble no problem.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

All is not lost !!!
After fiddling around and I must admit with the wife’s help ( second set of eyes really helps) we discovered that somehow the treaded eye piece was in way too far and was actually blocking it from extending .
Now the worm gear on the focuser is still kinda worn because it slips near the end but otherwise travels about 90% without slipping but it’s still not 100% but I can at least live with it for now !!
Attachments
F395AB4F-8E3D-40FA-AE78-7BCFC161FF86.jpeg
01EB2A20-DAA2-43E1-A172-D8A3513F4011.jpeg

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Bigzmey wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:29 pm

Maybe I am not getting it from the pictures but to me the teeth on the wheel and rack look a bit worn but fine. It seems to me that drawtube got stock. If you unscrew the screws holding focuser to the body, does the whole focuser comes off, or the drawtube remains in the scope body?

BTW the focuser has a very basic design. You should be able to take it a part , inspect and reassemble no problem.
You nailed it my friend and I have to give credit to my wife who said “ look at that thing on the end the more you unscrew it the more it seems to be moving up “.
The problem was the little piece that you drop the EP into was “ cockeyed “ in there so when I unscrewed it I could then pull the tube all the way out.
I then reattached the worm drive ( focuser knobs ) and it started expanding and retracting back down.
It does “slip” and miss a few teeth near the end ( the first 2 or 3 teeth ) but I just gently nudge it to help it along and it starts to grab and the expands all the way again to the end.
It’s freezing cold rain here today, but tomorrow I’m going to set it up outside and see if I can get it go focus and speaking of focusing,I agree with you it’s a straight through spotting or finding scope and I think it’s original to the model even though everything else I saw on the Internet had a different view finder scope,one with a prism.
I’m going to see if I can try to find the little tiny red dot laser that fits inside there underneath the spotting scope but just from generally looking down the tube I think the mirrors are alinged about 90 to 95% but I won’t know till I can get it outside !
Attachments
CFBF42AC-6C45-4009-868F-A61858F24905.jpeg
EF108B54-7805-406C-97E9-61F0F3274E53.jpeg
B4329DFA-48D2-4A69-A100-B9C00FFB9113.jpeg
Last edited by Frankskywatcher on Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

In your last image, the plate between the focuser knobs held in place by 4 screws.
Is there a bent clip under it?
This creates the proper tension between the focuser drawtube and knobs. Do not tighten it all the way down.
The tube can jam or the helical gear teeth can break if to much tension is placed on them.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:48 pm In your last image, the plate between the focuser knobs held in place by 4 screws.
Is there a bent clip under it?
This creates the proper tension between the focuser drawtube and knobs. Do not tighten it all the way down.
The tube can jam or the helical gear teeth can break if to much tension is placed on them.
What Gabby says!

Also, if you would like to replace straight through finder, Celestron 51630 Star Pointer Telescope Finderscope comes with several different adapters and one of them will fit your scope.

Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255