Oh Happy Day Gifted a Telescope

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Oh Happy Day Gifted a Telescope

Post by Bigzmey »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:51 pm Thank you Helicon that’s what I was thinking the better scope should have better EP’s.
I will say I’m having a lot of fun with this gifted one and it’s helping the learning curve .
I wish I could “ zoom “ in a little more( there is already great detail ) but I’ve found that the only EP in regards to the moon was the 12.5 and that worked well.
Having better quality EPs should improve the views. It would make sense to invest into 1.25" EPs since you will be able to use them in 10" scope as well.

You can get this 0.965 to 1.25" adaptor which will allow to use 1.25" EPs in your old scope. However, there is a danger that you will not have enough focuser travel to achieve the focus with the adaptor.

@Richard did you try to use such adaptor in your scope?

Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Frankskywatcher »

No I have not yet but that’s a great idea, I’ll have to order that too.
I was out there again tonight and stalking the moon and it also seems that the only EP that “works “ is the 12.5 the other two are just too blurry.
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
gregl
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by gregl »

Just don't lose your self-control and buy eyepieces before you are sure about what you need. You'll get some eyepieces with your new scope, and you should stick with those for a long time. Join a club and borrow eyepieces before you buy. It's too easy to think you need something, buy it, and then find out that it's not right for you. Many of us end up with perhaps two focal lengths we use the most, another once in a while, and a bunch more that we could have done without. My most used ones give me 80x, 112x and once in a while 160x. The rest just serve as ballast.
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

Bigzmey wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:23 pm
Frankskywatcher wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:51 pm Thank you Helicon that’s what I was thinking the better scope should have better EP’s.
I will say I’m having a lot of fun with this gifted one and it’s helping the learning curve .
I wish I could “ zoom “ in a little more( there is already great detail ) but I’ve found that the only EP in regards to the moon was the 12.5 and that worked well.
Having better quality EPs should improve the views. It would make sense to invest into 1.25" EPs since you will be able to use them in 10" scope as well.

You can get this 0.965 to 1.25" adaptor which will allow to use 1.25" EPs in your old scope. However, there is a danger that you will not have enough focuser travel to achieve the focus with the adaptor.

Yes I use it in my 10TE but it did not work with reflector not enough focus travel
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

gregl wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:25 am Just don't lose your self-control and buy eyepieces before you are sure about what you need. You'll get some eyepieces with your new scope, and you should stick with those for a long time. Join a club and borrow eyepieces before you buy. It's too easy to think you need something, buy it, and then find out that it's not right for you. Many of us end up with perhaps two focal lengths we use the most, another once in a while, and a bunch more that we could have done without. My most used ones give me 80x, 112x and once in a while 160x. The rest just serve as ballast.

You are 100% correct about buying stuff and your advise is spot on!
I just joined The Grand Strand Astronomers Club and will do what you said in regards to EP’s.
I have one out of the three that works perfectly for looking at the moon but I’m just waiting till my 10”dob arrives and see what happens .
As Bigsmey stated I ordered the red dot laser to put in this scope but going slowly.
I will say this glad I ordered the 10” dob when I did it was $50 off retail at $850 but now it’s $900 so it went up $50 just since I ordered it !
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

Dont get any more stuff for this scope wait until your new scope arrives , but learn to use it , once you use the new 10 inch dobs you may never use it
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Richard wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:45 am
Bigzmey wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:23 pm

Yes I use it in my 10TE but it did not work with reflector not enough focus travel
This is what I thought. Sounds like the proper line of action is to use this scope as it came for practice. Everything in perspective. When I was a kid I dreamed to get a scope like that. :)
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:02 pm
gregl wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:25 am Just don't lose your self-control and buy eyepieces before you are sure about what you need. You'll get some eyepieces with your new scope, and you should stick with those for a long time. Join a club and borrow eyepieces before you buy. It's too easy to think you need something, buy it, and then find out that it's not right for you. Many of us end up with perhaps two focal lengths we use the most, another once in a while, and a bunch more that we could have done without. My most used ones give me 80x, 112x and once in a while 160x. The rest just serve as ballast.

You are 100% correct about buying stuff and your advise is spot on!
I just joined The Grand Strand Astronomers Club and will do what you said in regards to EP’s.
I have one out of the three that works perfectly for looking at the moon but I’m just waiting till my 10”dob arrives and see what happens .
As Bigsmey stated I ordered the red dot laser to put in this scope but going slowly.
I will say this glad I ordered the 10” dob when I did it was $50 off retail at $850 but now it’s $900 so it went up $50 just since I ordered it !
That red dot is a save bet. I have that model on all my scopes and some binoculars.

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Frankskywatcher wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:01 pm
Bigzmey wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:30 pm
Lady Fraktor wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:48 pm In your last image, the plate between the focuser knobs held in place by 4 screws.
Is there a bent clip under it?
This creates the proper tension between the focuser drawtube and knobs. Do not tighten it all the way down.
The tube can jam or the helical gear teeth can break if to much tension is placed on them.

What Gabby says!

Also, if you would like to replace straight through finder, Celestron 51630 Star Pointer Telescope Finderscope comes with several different adapters and one of them will fit your scope.

Oh Happy Day thanks for the link !
Tomorrow no rain and I will have time to get it out side and see if I can at least get it going lining stuff up !
This came in the mail today in enough time to mount it and zero it in !
Thank You Bigzmey for all your guidance this is so much easier can’t wait till tonight !
Attachments
4AB60402-6E39-4B1E-9B4C-4B9087BD0EA2.jpeg

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Glad to help. These Celestron red dots are basic but very reliable. My first one is still going strong, and with the set of bases they provide you can fit it on any type of scope.

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

HELP !!
I’m going nuts trying to find a replacement focuser for this telescope !
Does anyone know where I might be able to find one ?
Thanks in advance .
Attachments
A15D513B-E05C-4555-BE2A-F6F34187231B.jpeg

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
gregl
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by gregl »

Hi Frank. As I understand it, the problem with the focuser is the rack and pinion. You can get racks and pinions from McMaster Carr. They have plastic ones for just a few bucks that should work fine in that unit.
https://www.mcmaster.com/gears/plastic- ... ure-angle/
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Does anyone know if this will fit my scope I think it will?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184871848114?_ ... %3A2047675

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:39 pm Does anyone know if this will fit my scope I think it will?

It certainly looks like it will.
There's no saying if the screw holes will line up of course.
You might have to drill new holes, but otherwise I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work :)
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

I think what Greg is saying that only the rack and pinion mechanism needs replacing. So maybe you don't need to replace the whole focuser. The focuser on Ebay has an estimated delivery range of Fed. 25th to March 4th, which is pretty far out, but it would probably fit. Have you thought about contacting Meade to find a replacement?
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:39 pm Does anyone know if this will fit my scope I think it will?

I don't believe you will be happy with this one Frank. It seems like all-plastic junky version. Even if it works out of box it will fell apart soon.

I believe this is much better option, but you will need to drill some holes for it to fit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174563639769?_ ... %3A2047675

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Bigzmey wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:23 pm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184871848114?
I don't believe you will be happy with this one Frank. Even if it works out of the box it will fell apart soon.

I believe this is much better option, but you will need to drill some holes for it to fit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174563639769?_
On looking at that one I agree with Bigz. Also, can be delivered by January 31st. (Good in this whole "slow supply chain" era)
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Ylem wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:44 pm

It certainly looks like it will.
There's no saying if the screw holes will line up of course.
You might have to drill new holes, but otherwise I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work :)
Thanks for answering,that’s exactly what I’m thinking.
I measured it’s and it’s approx 3 1/2 inches and I was hoping it would be “plug and play” in regards to just swapping them out and not drilling any holes ( light getting in ) .
The red dot laser that Bigzmey suggested was exactly that plug and play.
What sucks is it looks like it might just line up but there’s no specs,it’s from China like everything else and not even sure how threaded it is on the inside for light dispersion .
I’m not opposed to drilling a hole if need be but just not sure if this will work because it’s 1 1/2 inch I believe but the seller states it will work with a 114 which this scope is .
I looked at Meade but maybe my search wasn’t focused ( pun intended) enough !
Thanks again Frank

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Bigzmey wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:23 pm

I don't believe you will be happy with this one Frank. It seems like all-plastic junky version. Even if it works out of box it will fell apart soon.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174563639769?_ ... %3A2047675
Thanks my friend I always know I can count on you !
I was thinking it was junky looking also and probability not any better than the original but I was hoping to find a plug and play BUT I’m not afraid to drill new holes but just worried about any light leaking into the tube so if that four hole mount covers the three original holes it should work .
I was looking at this one as well I had even saved it lol.
I think getting this one and in combo with the red dot that you recommended ( it was child’s play mounting and zeroing) it was so easy to work last night.
I will have to check the size of the mount to make sure it will cover the original holes.
Thanks my friend I appreciate your expert opinion.

UPDATE : here’s the specs for that focuser in terms of height,width and length.
I will have to convert that and figure out if it will cover the original holes .
Converting it makes the new focuser about 4” square and the original is 3 1/3 circular so it should work.
Attachments
432E04FB-267D-4B2C-9D78-C074A1104295.jpeg
B291EB3D-C166-4A3D-87DA-476A1FB27A2D.jpeg
Last edited by Frankskywatcher on Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Holes are easy. :) Just cover with some black tape. Unfortunately, I don't have any hands-on experience with this focuser. Just looking at the info available the installation may involve:

1) drilling mounting screw holes
2) making spacers or shaving a bit of the focuser base to adjust the focuser curve to much the scope body
3) enlarging the focuser opening on the scope to fit larger draw tube (since the original focuser is 0.965 and the focuser hole might be too narrow to fit 1.25" draw tube)

Depending on your disposition it could be a fun Sunday DIY project or focuser upgrade from hell. :D

Mark @Thefatkitty may have some words of wisdom. If I remember correctly he might have replaced focuser on a similar newt.