The Planisphere

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Don Quixote
Articles: 0

The Planisphere

Post by Don Quixote »

"This is my Planisphere
I will keep my Planisphere clean
I will keep my Planisphere flat and dry

Without me my planisphere is useless
Without my planisphere...
I will use my goto mount." :-)

Barnes and Noble had a nice big one.

At the time I had no idea that there were several "makes" and "models" available. Some have more navigational helps and some show more stars and some show more deep space objects to target. Most of them have at least the brightest Messier and maybe a few NGC and CR objects. There is always some depiction of the Milky Way.

Mine is for the northern hemisphere and covers 30°to 60° north. The only declention markings are at 40°and 45°. There are hour angle markings every three hours, but I have made additional reference for every hour by marking the clear overlay with a fine permanent marker.

The planisphere maps out the brightest star members in each constellation in a way that I can recognize when I hold it in the proper orientation to the sky. It is the reference to this orientation of the constellations, their member stars, and the target objects that is of advantage to me. It has been one of my tools for learning the night sky

One simply lines up the outer edge of the planisphere so that the local hour aligns with the local month and day. Presto...a "cliff notes" glimpse of the present sky comes into view in the oval window of your planisphere. If you see a star that does not show up on your planisphere along the ecliptic it may well be a planet.

In the flat projection of the planisphere the rotation of the earth relative to the celestial bodies is represented. It appears to represent a sphere of stars rotating around Polaris. But as the disc is rotated it is actually representing the motion of earth longitude which gives the apparent 15° per hour western motion of the celestial objects.

Get a planisphere and play with it for a couple of hours under a stary night. They are not expensive and they require no batteries. You will smile when it all dawns on you.

Yes, the planisphere is limited, but in my opinion this limitation makes it a quick and powerful tool.

Although by now I have several star atlases I continue to use a planisphere with guests and from time to time on my own when the sky is obscuring and I cannot readily see my familiar navigational landmarks.

With the phone apps the planisphere might not be as popular, but I still think it is an economical and convenient way to get into navigating the night sky.

Peace, and clear skies to all.
Attachments
20190808_192742.jpg
seer
Saturn Ambassador

Re: The Planisphere

Post by seer »

Hey Mark I have that one and I use it all the time.
Donald
Tasco BRK Essentials Model: 169735 7x35, Celestron Cometron 7x50, Bushnell 10x50 Legacy WP, Oberwerk 15x70 LW, Meade Infinity 60mm AZ Refractor, Bushnell Deep Space 3 inch Reflector, Meade Polaris 80mm EQ Refractor, Meade Polaris 114mm Reflector.
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: The Planisphere

Post by Thefatkitty »

Thank you Mark, I've actually just dug up mine. I'm going to go "old school" and give that a go for a bit. Funny, it worked fine back in the 80's; bet it still does now too...:lol:

Nice read, thanks again!
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC