Guide to the Stars

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Guide to the Stars

Post by Frankskywatcher »

This came in the post this afternoon just in time to try it out tonight I have a lot to learn.
Thanks again to Andrey for gifting me his sky atlas between that awesome gift and the guide to the stars I hope to shorten my learning cure!
Thanks again to everyone who comments and encourages me as I fumble around in the dark ( pun intended ) 😁
Attachments
65710D50-35ED-4792-B7AB-A034E9BE6891.jpeg
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Guide to the Stars

Post by Bigzmey »

You are most welcome Frank! I hope you get as much fun out of it as I did.

My first planisphere when I was a kid was a cut off from an astronomy magazine, some assembly required. :) I have worn it to bits planning countless sessions and using to learn and navigate the skies.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I use a planisphere frequently just to get a quick idea of what's visible and when. Faster for me than futzing with SkySafari or Stellarium.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

pakarinen wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:25 pm I use a planisphere frequently just to get a quick idea of what's visible and when. Faster for me than futzing with SkySafari or Stellarium.
Funny you say that I have both of those in my phone.
I got the SkySafari Plus 6 and I like Stellarium but the drawback is obviously the light pollution your eyes gets on the phone looking at the apps which is why I got the Planisphere!
Also Andrey “ bigzmey” was so generous as to send me his old sky atlas which I’m really looking forward to using that thing !
Also Greg is sending me red cellophane to cover all my lights with, people here on this forum have been so welcoming and friendly I LOVE IT HERE !!
Last edited by Frankskywatcher on Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Planispheres rule, at least to old dogs like me.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

helicon wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:51 pm Planispheres rule, at least to old dogs like me.
Not just for 'old dogs' either Michael :lol:

I bought a new Planisphere not long after joining this Forum, and it is my preferred source for a sky reference.

I have also used some of the sky apps on my phone, but I agree with @Frankskywatcher regarding light pollution issues.

I can easily view the Planisphere with a red headlamp to get around that problem.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:10 pm Also Greg is sending me red cellophane to cover all my lights with
I've also used red taillight repair tape (about $5 a roll at Ace Hardware) and ruby red nail polish. Gotta say I'm not very good with applying the nail polish. :P
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Sky Safari has a night mode where everything is in red.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Yes I have the plus 6 version and I use it but I also am trying more to “ learn “ the night sky with the Guide to the Stars and of course the atlas ( thank you again) that you have given me !

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

pakarinen wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:33 pm
Frankskywatcher wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:10 pm Also Greg is sending me red cellophane to cover all my lights with
I've also used red taillight repair tape (about $5 a roll at Ace Hardware) and ruby red nail polish. Gotta say I'm not very good with applying the nail polish. :P
That’s a really economical work around and Ace Hardware stores are everywhere,that’s a great tip thank you.

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:09 pm Yes I have the plus 6 version and I use it but I also am trying more to “ learn “ the night sky with the Guide to the Stars and of course the atlas ( thank you again) that you have given me !
Absolutely! There is no wrong way to observe, but when we doing it using manual mounts and atlases I feel like we are connecting to countless generations of astronomers before us.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

pakarinen wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:33 pm
Not sure about the nail polish but red taillight repair tape works. :)

allisonribeiro
Earth Ambassador

Post by allisonribeiro »

I use Sky Safari 6 Plus as well and tint the Iphone screen red in the settings.

Got to build up courage to learn how to use the paper guides and see how it works for me :) .

I really like the audio description of the objects that sky safari gives, also the 6 version has some sweet observation lists build into it, so that would be a drawback of going analogical. But hey, I think it is worth a try...
Telescope: Orion SkyQuest Xt8 Classic, red dot finder and Celestron 9x50 RACI. 
Eps : 5mm CELESTRON X-CEL, 9mm CELESTRON X-CEL, 25mm CELESTRON X-CEL, 2x Barlow lens, DGM NPB nebula filter
10X50 Bino
Camera: ASI224MC
Messier: 30/110, AF.net S110: 78/110