Apertura AD 8” Dobsonian

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Apertura AD 8” Dobsonian

Post by Frankskywatcher »

Hello I’m trying to get a good “ read” from some of the more experienced star gazers here in regards to this telescope ?
I’ve read and watched so many articles and videos so I’ve pretty much decided on this and before pulling the trigger I’d like to get some advise.
I searched for related articles here and only a few came up so again I could really use the expert advise and also on the” best” Barlow for this scope. Thank you in advance and thanks for having me here !
Frank
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Re: Apertura AD 8” Dobsonian

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Hello and welcome Frank.
The Apertura is a nice telescope to start with. Highly recommended.

I would suggest holding off on the barlow at the moment until you have used the telescope a few times.
You scope comes I believe with 1-1.25" and 1-2" eyepiece. A 2" barlow would work for both eyepieces but added expense as you would also need a 2" to 1.25" adapter.
That money could be put to different focal length eyepieces that may work better for you.

Enjoy the telescope!
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Welcome on board Frank! This is a nice scope. It will show a lot and could be easily your lifetime scope. You will need to learn how to collimate, operate and find targets manually, but this is part of the fun. :D In terms of return on the investment one can't beat Dobsonians. I would not rush in to buying any barlow yet. You will be better of getting a couple of good quality EPs, observing chair and collimation tool, unless one comes with the scope.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Thanks for the advise and especially in regards to the Barlow and it does come with a laser collimating tool
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Welcome to TSS Frank!
Great scope, go for it!
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:45 pm Thanks for the advise and especially in regards to the Barlow and it does come with a laser collimating tool
Laser collimators work well but 99.9% arrive out of collimation, you will have to spend some time aligning it.
When your telescope is collimatted they are great for checking or a quick tweak to get ready for the evening viewing.
I would suggest you get a Collimation Cap and a Cheshire Eyepiece, these work perfectly for collimation and if the laser batteries are dead, you are still able to collimate :)
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Yes it comes with a laser collimating tool but not familiar with the “ cap” or the Cheshire Eyepiece I readily admit I’m a green rookie 😁
I appreciate your help and thank you so much

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:04 pm Yes it comes with a laser collimating tool but not familiar with the “ cap” or the Cheshire Eyepiece I readily admit I’m a green rookie 😁

This may help: https://garyseronik.com/collimation-tools-what-you-need-what-you-dont/

And even though I can't get an Apertura scope in Canada, I've heard nothing but good about them, plus an 8" is a great all-around size. A scope for life :D

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Thank you for the help and the link I will surly read it !
I just want to make sure I’m buying something worth the $$ and that I get the other things like the Barlow ( although I’ve already been informed I don’t need that right away ) red flashlight etc etc so thanks so much again ! Frank

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Thefatkitty wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:10 pm
Frankskywatcher wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:04 pm Yes it comes with a laser collimating tool but not familiar with the “ cap” or the Cheshire Eyepiece I readily admit I’m a green rookie 😁

This may help: https://garyseronik.com/collimation-tools-what-you-need-what-you-dont/

And even though I can't get an Apertura scope in Canada, I've heard nothing but good about them, plus an 8" is a great all-around size. A scope for life :D

All the best,
Thanks for the link,I now remember the “ sighting cap” , I fooled around with this stuff decades ago but now I’m retired and livening out in the countryside and even with my 7x50 binoculars it’s a “ light show” ,its pretty dark at night out here so really interred in this scope but just want to be as informed about and it’s acc. so thanks for the recap 😁

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
gregl
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by gregl »

As to the red flashlight, you want a dim light. Bright ones are almost as hard on the dark-adapted eyes than plain white. Some red cellophane from the craft store will work but you'll need multiple layers to dim it down, or perhaps some grey cellophane. In addition to a flashlight, I've got a cheap headlamp modified with red Rubylith which is a red acetate used in the printing industry. The headlamp is useful when you need both hands free. I also made a simple light for the eyepiece case out of a red LED, a 9-volt battery and a scrap of baling wire. Rather than derail this thread, I put up some pix of that here; http://zimmer.fresnostate.edu/~gregl/ca ... index.html
In addition to the red LED you need a resistor or a pre-wired LED for the 9-volts. Simple stuff you can get off Ebay.
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Hi Greg , thanks for the advise I can use all I can get !
I was also thinking of the military grade flashlight that has the different blanks,you can insert,red,white and clear defuser lens what do you think of that idea ?
Tonight I got so pumped looking at Taurus with just a pair of 7x 50 binoculars, It’s really dark where I live out in the sticks, excited about pulling the trigger on the Apertura AD 8” just hoping to hear from a few more members who might have purchased one. Thanks again for all your help I really appreciate it can you tell me if there is a thread or an area on the forum for equipment like a good viewing chair and things of a similar nature.

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
gregl
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by gregl »

Check your private messages.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Just ask what comes to mind Frank and someone will answer/ point you in the right direction.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:02 am Hi Greg , thanks for the advise I can use all I can get !
I was also thinking of the military grade flashlight that has the different blanks,you can insert,red,white and clear defuser lens what do you think of that idea ?
Tonight I got so pumped looking at Taurus with just a pair of 7x 50 binoculars, It’s really dark where I live out in the sticks, excited about pulling the trigger on the Apertura AD 8” just hoping to hear from a few more members who might have purchased one. Thanks again for all your help I really appreciate it can you tell me if there is a thread or an area on the forum for equipment like a good viewing chair and things of a similar nature.
I have been using this chair for years. Still as good as new. The idea is that you can move the seat up and down to adjust to changing position of your EP.

Vestil CPRO-800LP Ergonomic Worker Seat

Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

If you like doing some wood working there is also the simple LYBAR chair: https://www.stark-labs.com/craig/page17 ... lybar.html
or a bit more work the Catspearch/ Denver observing chair: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12059
The Happy Parrot
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

Post by The Happy Parrot »

Hello Frankskywatcher!

I've owned the Zhummel 8" version of this telescope for a couple of years and I'm very pleased with it. I won't go into all the pro's and cons about it, other than to say it is very easy to set up and collimate. I usually collimate during the day, but one can do it at night, just harder to see the bolts on both ends of the tube. I also like the included 90 degree finder, and the fact you can shift the OTA up and down to balance it better as you add other components.

I agree with Bigzmey about waiting before investing in a Barlow. The Barlow is good under the right conditions, but I seldom use it. I'd rather use a smaller focal length eyepiece instead. After two years trying different zooms and eyepieces, I basically only use three: ES 24mm/68 deg., an ES 16mm/68 deg, and a Meade MWA 5mm/100. I have other ep's, but 90% of the time I'm on one of those three. Sadly, eyepiece prices have gone up a lot lately, but there are many options to consider and that's part of the fun.

Finally, while I truly enjoy my Z8 for it's great views, especially at a dark site like yours, there are a couple of things to consider:

-If you store it indoors and have steps to your yard, best to do two trips. The OTA is bulky and the particle board base is heavy as with all these mass produced dobs. Now I keep mine permanently on a small pneumatic wheel cart in the garage so that I just roll it out when I want to use it. Much less hassle. Also has the advantage of raising the viewing height by ~6" which is a back saver.
-The one thing holding me back from using it more is our cold weather in New England. I have tropical blood in me and if I were to do it over again, the first thing I'd buy before any accessories or eyepieces, is some form of antarctic bunny suit. Two years into this hobby I think about it every time I freeze my hands off, and yet I haven't bought one. In summer you will contend with swarms of mosquitoes, coyotes, bears, your neighbors dogs, and the occasional skunk. But that's another topic.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your new telescope!
Last edited by Bigzmey on Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typing error
gregl
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by gregl »

And one more piece of rather standard advice to beginners: go slow on buying stuff. I think every one of us, in our early days of excitement, bought stuff we ended up not needing. Stick with the eyepieces that come with the scope. Get a basic book or two (Turn Left At Orion, by Consolmagno and Davis; Nightwatch, by Dickenson, for example) and an app for a tablet or phone such as SkySafari or SkyPortal. Just because other folks have and like a particular item doesn't mean it's going to work for you, so try to hook up with some other folks where you can see and try other stuff before you buy it.
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

The Happy Parrot wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:10 pm Hello Frankskywatcher!

I've owned the Zhummel 8" version of this telescope for a couple of years and I'm very pleased with it. I won't go into all the pro's and cons about it, other than to say it is very easy to set up and collimate. I usually collimate during the day, but one can do it at night, just harder to see the bolts on both ends of the tube. I also like the included 90 degree finder, and the fact you can shift the OTA up and down to balance it better as you add other components.

I agree with Bigzmey about waiting before investing in a Barlow. The Barlow is good under the right conditions, but I seldom use it. I'd rather use a smaller focal length eyepiece instead. After two years trying different zooms and eyepieces, I basically only use three: ES 24mm/68 deg., an ES 16mm/68 deg, and a Meade MWA 5mm/100. I have other ep's, but 90% of the time I'm on one of those three. Sadly, eyepiece prices have gone up a lot lately, but there are many options to consider and that's part of the fun.

Finally, while I truly enjoy my Z8 for it's great views, especially at a dark site like yours, there are a couple of things to consider:

-If you store it indoors and have steps to your yard, best to do two trips. The OTA is bulky and the particle board base is heavy as with all these mass produced dobs. Now I keep mine permanently on a small pneumatic wheel cart in the garage so that I just roll it out when I want to use it. Much less hassle. Also has the advantage of raising the viewing height by ~6" which is a back saver.
-The one thing holding me back from using it more is our cold weather in New England. I have tropical blood in me and if I were to do it over again, the first thing I'd buy before any accessories or eyepieces, is some form of antarctic bunny suit. Two years into this hobby I think about it every time I freeze my hands off, and yet I haven't bought one. In summer you will contend with swarms of mosquitoes, coyotes, bears, your neighbors dogs, and the occasional skunk. But that's another topic.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your new telescope!
Thank you so much for your response .
I just moved away from New England and now reside in SC.
Yes I’m think)g about a furniture dolly I have to mount it on then just roll it out of my garage and keep it in there so it will be “ cold” when ready to go.

With just a 7x10 binoculars tonight I could very clearly see Taurus and was looking at the craters on the moon with 60x60 spotting scope I use at the range .
I also thank you for the advise about buying stuff I’m going to go slow I ordered a large guide to the stars and the 4 th edition of The Backyard Astronomer’s Guide .
I wish I could hear from some of the members who actually own this scope the Apertura AD 8” and see how they like it and their experiences with it !
Thank you for your input my friend Frank

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

gregl wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:19 am And one more piece of rather standard advice to beginners: go slow on buying stuff. I think every one of us, in our early days of excitement, bought stuff we ended up not needing. Stick with the eyepieces that come with the scope. Get a basic book or two (Turn Left At Orion, by Consolmagno and Davis; Nightwatch, by Dickenson, for example) and an app for a tablet or phone such as SkySafari or SkyPortal. Just because other folks have and like a particular item doesn't mean it's going to work for you, so try to hook up with some other folks where you can see and try other stuff before you buy it.
I bought the 4 th edition of The Backyard Astronomer ‘s Guide and the star guide the 16 inch one .
I eagerly await the red stuff and leds to get me started and thank you so much my friend !
Frank

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars