Apertura AD 8” Dobsonian

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
The Happy Parrot
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Apertura AD 8” Dobsonian

Post by The Happy Parrot »

[/quote]

Thank you so much for your response .
I just moved away from New England and now reside in SC.
Yes I’m think)g about a furniture dolly I have to mount it on then just roll it out of my garage and keep it in there so it will be “ cold” when ready to go.

[/quote]

Sounds like you have an optimal set up in terms of climate and dark skies. I can tell you are really going to enjoy your new telescope.

As you look into dollies, consider one with relatively large wheel diameter (~6"). Besides raising the OTA height, it is easier to pull over grass as you find the perfect spot for each target. I had an old Radioflier cart which was excellent. The dob base fit perfectly and it wasn't so big it would get in the way as you were viewing. The newer ones I've noticed aren't as or as solidly built.
Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Frankskywatcher »

Bigzmey wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:40 pm Welcome on board Frank! This is a nice scope. It will show a lot and could be easily your lifetime scope. You will need to learn how to collimate, operate and find targets manually, but this is part of the fun. :D In terms of return on the investment one can't beat Dobsonians. I would not rush in to buying any barlow yet. You will be better of getting a couple of good quality EPs, observing chair and collimation tool, unless one comes with the scope.
Thank you my friend I’m so PUMPED ordering the scope as we speak !
After looking at Taurus and another group of stars and the dipper last night with just a pair of 7x 50 binoculars my wife had to call me in I felt like a kid again ( I’m 66) !
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

The Happy Parrot wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:36 pm
Thank you so much for your response .
I just moved away from New England and now reside in SC.
Yes I’m think)g about a furniture dolly I have to mount it on then just roll it out of my garage and keep it in there so it will be “ cold” when ready to go.

[/quote]

Sounds like you have an optimal set up in terms of climate and dark skies. I can tell you are really going to enjoy your new telescope.

As you look into dollies, consider one with relatively large wheel diameter (~6"). Besides raising the OTA height, it is easier to pull over grass as you find the perfect spot for each target. I had an old Radioflier cart which was excellent. The dob base fit perfectly and it wasn't so big it would get in the way as you were viewing. The newer ones I've noticed aren't as or as solidly built.
[/quote]

Just looking again at your last message and I’m going to take your advise as far as moving it around and a cart.
I have seen a few pictures of people with a wagon/ cart with removable sides and “ ballon” tires ( I would imagine a softer ride) so might look around for something like that.
High point sent me an e mail saying it would be 48 to 72 hours ( not including weekends) before shipment but then in red it states “ due to high demand be a slight delay in your shipment our team is doing blah blah blah” so now I wait !
Thank you again for your insight and help I truly appreciate it, it’s nice to find a place where people actually help you.
P.S. I am also a amateur radio operator and it’s the same with that hobby,people help newbies instead of turning them off especially any hobby that involves any kind of serious $$ to not just get started in but to go “ all in” !
All the Best Frank
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Well after more consideration I called High Point Scientific and changed my order from the apertura 8 inch to the apertura 10 inch!
The only downside is the eight was in stock but the ten won’t be arriving to them till the end of February.
After reading so many different articles and especially watching some videos I’m getting the flavor that 10 inches and up is really the way to go if you can practically and financially do it.
Also I kept looking at the price and the 8 inch was $699.00 and so for $150 more a jump up in two inches to a 10 “ with all the same goodies included and I just kept thinking to myself go big or go home so the ten inch it is !😁

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:40 pm Well after more consideration I called High Point Scientific and changed my order from the apertura 8 inch to the apertura 10 inch!
The only downside is the eight was in stock but the ten won’t be arriving to them till the end of February.
After reading so many different articles and especially watching some videos I’m getting the flavor that 10 inches and up is really the way to go if you can practically and financially do it.
Also I kept looking at the price and the 8 inch was $699.00 and so for $150 more a jump up in two inches to a 10 “ with all the same goodies included and I just kept thinking to myself go big or go home so the ten inch it is !😁
Good decision Frank! 10" will reach deeper and having it on a dolly should simplify moving the scope. In the mean time learn and enjoy the skies with your 7x50, they can show you quite a few targets.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Bigzmey wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:59 pm
Frankskywatcher wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:40 pm Well after more consideration I called High Point Scientific and changed my order from the apertura 8 inch to the apertura 10 inch!
Good decision Frank! 10" will reach deeper and having it on a dolly should simplify moving the scope. In the mean time learn and enjoy the skies with your 7x50, they can show you quite a few targets.
Thank you my friend the more I thought about it for $150 more it was worth it to gain the 2 inches,also I found a cart for 160 bucks that will hold it nicely !
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gorilla-Carts- ... 1000772536
The base of the scope platform is 22” and the cart is 23” so it should be perfect to fit inside the cart
Attachments
8036AB4F-F9C1-4C97-AE12-8BCF39181577.jpeg
Last edited by Frankskywatcher on Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Congrats on the new scope. I'm sure you have a lot of anticipation like the old ketchup commercial.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
gregl
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by gregl »

Yup. If you're not going to travel with it, then it's certainly worth the extra $150. And if you decide to take it somewhere, it's a great excuse for trading in your Miata for a Suburban!
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Congrats, you have a lifetime scope. I have an 8" Newt and I decided on that size 50 years ago because that was a huge scope back then, it is also my lifetime scope.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:12 pm
Thank you my friend the more I thought about it for $150 more it was worth it again the 2 inches also I found a cart for 160 bucks that will hold it nicely !
The base of the scope platform is 22” and the cart is 23” so it should be perfect to fit inside the cart
I know people use DOBs of carts so it should work. One thing to watch out are vibrations. If you see that the view at the EP vibrates at every single touch you may try to use jack stands, so the cart is siting on the stands and not on wheels when observing.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

helicon wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:13 pm Congrats on the new scope. I'm sure you have a lot of anticipation like the old ketchup commercial.
Now that’s funny !!
I kept thinking about that as well in regards to size and if I even ever wanted to put it in my Toyota Sienna mini van even with the cart I think I could pull it off!
I know a lot of people will say that an 8 inch Dobson is the “sweet spot” or the perfect compromise all the way around but I figured if I’m not going to be moving it all that much and it is pretty dark where I am so for the $150 difference from the 8” to the 10”and gaining two more inches I wouldn’t get buyers remorse for not “going big or going home”!
So we will see as I still have to wait till the end of Feb for it.
Thanks for replying I appreciate everyone’s input here on the forum.

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Bigzmey wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:13 pm

Thank you my friend the more I thought about it for $150 more it was worth it again the 2 inches also I found a cart for 160 bucks that will hold it nicely !
I know people use DOBs of carts so it should work. One thing to watch out are vibrations. If you see that the view at the EP vibrates at every single touch you may try to use jack stands, so the cart is siting on the stands and not on wheels when observing.
Once again thank you my friend for solid advise I will certainly keep that in mind when the time comes.

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

JayTee wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:24 pm Congrats, you have a lifetime scope. I have an 8" Newt and I decided on that size 50 years ago because that was a huge scope back then, it is also my lifetime scope.
Thank you so much, I’m so pumped and I guess good things come to those who wait and in the meanwhile I still am having a ball with the three different sets of binoculars and my 2-60x60 spotting scope .
It’s funny they had the Apertura AD 8” in stock ( my first order) and it almost shipped to me but I called them today and told them to bump me up to the 10” and that’s when they said it would be till the end of Feb beginning of March but I think I made to right decision in buying a 10” instead.

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

It's interesting that the jump from 8" to 10" is barely noticeable and the jump from 10" to 12" is also barely noticeable, but the jump from 8" to 12" is very noticeable. So in the long run I think you just saved yourself some money by going with the 10".
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

JayTee wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:52 pm It's interesting that the jump from 8" to 10" is barely noticeable and the jump from 10" to 12" is also barely noticeable, but the jump from 8" to 12" is very noticeable. So in the long run I think you just saved yourself some money by going with the 10".
You said it perfectly,incrementally it’s not a big jump but I don’t want to later regret not going as big as I could physically and financially and from everything I keep reading I should not get bored with this size.

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
The Happy Parrot
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

JayTee wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:24 pm Congrats, you have a lifetime scope. I have an 8" Newt and I decided on that size 50 years ago because that was a huge scope back then, it is also my lifetime scope.
That's a gorgeous 8/F7.5 telescope JT! I really like the woodwork.
The Happy Parrot
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Frankskywatcher wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:28 pm

Once again thank you my friend for solid advise I will certainly keep that in mind when the time comes.
Hi Frank. Not sure if you pulled the trigger on that 13" wheel gorilla cart, but I wonder if it's not too tall? You are adding 13" wheels + another 5-6" on top to the base of the dob. Of course, it all depends on how tall you are! Just a thought.
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

The Happy Parrot wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:13 am
Frankskywatcher wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:28 pm

Hi Frank. Not sure if you pulled the trigger on that 13" wheel gorilla cart, but I wonder if it's not too tall? You are adding 13" wheels + another 5-6" on top to the base of the dob. Of course, it all depends on how tall you are! Just a thought.
No I haven't as yet but you raise a very good point !
My main focus was how wide the wagon was as the base is 22 inches and the cart bed was 23 so I know it will fit snugly with a half inch on either side.
All I can find for height is the 13 “ wheels so I would have to assume that’s the height ?
I’m 5’9” so if might just work but I will now definitely keep it in the back of my mind.
Thanks for alerting me to that I didn’t take it into consideration.

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Here's what I use. It's an inch too narrow on either side but my Dob mount fits securely on it and I've never had an issue with it. Plus it's light and easy to store, oh and it's not expensive.

https://www.harborfreight.com/24-in-x-1 ... 56782.html

Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

JayTee wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:14 pm Here's what I use. It's an inch too narrow on either side but my Dob mount fits securely on it and I've never had an issue with it. Plus it's light and easy to store, oh and it's not expensive.

https://www.harborfreight.com/24-in-x-1 ... 56782.html
Funny that you had mentioned that I do have one of those and it’s 15 inches wide but it’s 2 feet long .
I could use that to move it around my big long and wide driveway however if you want to go anywhere dark sky then I would think it would behoove me to have the bigger cart ( that has sides)which is 23” and the base of the telescope is 22”and or both?
I really appreciate everyone’s input,I’ve got a lot to learn in the next seven weeks until that model ( Apertura AD10”)is available .
Attachments
B0C70E38-A86D-4183-84A8-04F54B8B30C0.jpeg

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars