Apertura AD 8” Dobsonian

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Apertura AD 8” Dobsonian

Post by Ylem »

Frankskywatcher wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:12 pm
Bigzmey wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:59 pm
Frankskywatcher wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:40 pm Well after more consideration I called High Point Scientific and changed my order from the apertura 8 inch to the apertura 10 inch!
The only downside is the eight was in stock but the ten won’t be arriving to them till the end of February.
After reading so many different articles and especially watching some videos I’m getting the flavor that 10 inches and up is really the way to go if you can practically and financially do it.
Also I kept looking at the price and the 8 inch was $699.00 and so for $150 more a jump up in two inches to a 10 “ with all the same goodies included and I just kept thinking to myself go big or go home so the ten inch it is !😁
Good decision Frank! 10" will reach deeper and having it on a dolly should simplify moving the scope. In the mean time learn and enjoy the skies with your 7x50, they can show you quite a few targets.
Thank you my friend the more I thought about it for $150 more it was worth it to gain the 2 inches,also I found a cart for 160 bucks that will hold it nicely !
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gorilla-Carts- ... 1000772536
The base of the scope platform is 22” and the cart is 23” so it should be perfect to fit inside the cart
Frank, I used something like this https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H- ... lid-Wheels when I had my 10" (mine had air filled tires)

I cut and put pipe insulation on the back.
I also put a hook on the back to carry my chair and EP case.

Just a thought.

You will love the 10" much brighter than the 8" :)
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Frankskywatcher United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Apertura AD 8” Dobsonian

Post by Frankskywatcher »

Ylem wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:05 pm
Frankskywatcher wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:12 pm
Bigzmey wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:59 pm

Good decision Frank! 10" will reach deeper and having it on a dolly should simplify moving the scope. In the mean time learn and enjoy the skies with your 7x50, they can show you quite a few targets.
Thank you my friend the more I thought about it for $150 more it was worth it to gain the 2 inches,also I found a cart for 160 bucks that will hold it nicely !
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gorilla-Carts- ... 1000772536
The base of the scope platform is 22” and the cart is 23” so it should be perfect to fit inside the cart
Frank, I used something like this https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H- ... lid-Wheels when I had my 10" (mine had air filled tires)

I cut and put pipe insulation on the back.
I also put a hook on the back to carry my chair and EP case.

Just a thought.

You will love the 10" much brighter than the 8" :)
Woah I have one of those perhaps, a tad bit shorter and the tongue is a bit smaller but the same wheels !
Thank you the more I put the better another great idea !!
Thanks also for reassuring me in my decision to go with the 10”,I didn’t want to have buyers remorse if I went with the 8” .
Gee if I had known there was so much to see I would have started decades ago ! :Astronomer1:

Equipment :
Apertura AD10” Dobsonian

Polaris 4” Dobsonian

7x50 binoculars