The Journey begins...

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Razz United States of America
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

The Journey begins...

Post by Razz »

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this but I figured I'd start a thread to document my start into astronomy. I recently ordered everything that I think I'll need to get started. Tonight I got home from work and had a package on my doorstep. Now, it was too small to be the telescope or mount but I was excited anyway. I opened it up and it was just the red light flashlight I ordered...talk about a slow start...LOL...anyway, not to be deterred, I grabbed a beer and went into my backyard and amused myself with it for about an hour...I checked the tracking on everything else and it seems that the polarizing lens I ordered to view the moon will be next. Imagine a 56 year old man outside with a red flashlight and polarizing lens...lol...not sure what that will do...on a more serious note, I'm realistic about what I can do. Ultimately, my biggest interest is in DSOs but I'm gonna start slow with the moon. The scope I ordered is an Orion ST80. As I mentioned, I ordered a variable polarizing filter. Are there any other filters I should get? It's been suggested to me to get a #8 yellow and/or a moon and sky glow filter. Not sure about the #8 but what I have read about the moon and sky glow is that it's mainly to cut the light from LP as well as the moon...Is that correct? BTW the polarizing filter is a Celestron #94107...
Telescopes: SvBony SV503 80mm, Apertura AD10, Daystar SS60DS,Bresser AR-127s, 6" GSO Ritchey-Chretien Astrograph
Mounts: Skywatcher AZ-GTe, EQ6-R Pro
EPs: Baader Q turret with 32mm Classic Plossl and 18mm, 10mm, 6mm Classic Orthos and Q Turret barlow 2.25x
Baader Hyperion Mark IV 8-24mm zoom, Hyperion zoom barlow 2.25x
Filters: Celestron Variable Polarizing, SvBony F9131A UHC, Baader O III 10nm, Classic Lumicon O III, homemade solar filter with Baader OD 5.0 film, Optolong UV/IR cut
Cameras: Canon EOS Rebel T3i, ASI 224 mc
Guiding: iOptron iGuider 30mm scope/camera
Binoculars: Celestron Upclose G2 10x50

Bill
10538 United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: The Journey begins...

Post by 10538 »

Hello Razz. I have a whole box of filters that I rarely use. My biggest interest is also DSOs and I’ve tried expensive Nebula filters and others that in my opinion did not improve my views at all. I much prefer to see the unfiltered light from galaxies in beautiful star fields, open clusters, planetary nebulas and globular clusters. I do believe a variable polarizing filter for the moon once in a while and maybe an 82A for Jupiter could be beneficial at some point. While waiting on my scope I loaded up on all kinds of accessories like filters, eyepieces, telrads, observing chairs and more that I never or hardly ever use. Go slow purchasing too much until you get some experience with your scope. If possible join an astronomy club and hopefully get some firsthand guidance and see what others are doing with their equipment. There are lots of people on this forum that have the ST80 and can guide you in the right direction on what accessories that you will actually use rather than collect dust in your eyepiece case. Beware of Sets of eyepieces and filters!
Ed :Astronomer1:
Scopes: Orion 14 inch f/4.6 Dobsonian w/MoonLite focuser. Meade LX200 Classic 10”w/AudioStar and MoonLite focuser, Criterion RV6, Orion ST80A w/2” GSO micro focuser.
Eyepieces: ES 5.5mm 100*, 6.7mm 82*, 11mm 82*, 14mm 100*, 18mm 82*, 20mm 100*, Meade 9mm XWA 100*, 24mm UWA 82*, 56mm 50*, TV Delos 6,8 & 10mm, Panoptic 24, 27 & 35mm, 17mm Nagler, Powermate 2X, Baader 6mm Ortho, Paracorr II.
MISC: William Optics Binoviewer, Revolution 2 Imager, Orion Skyview Pro Mount, Skymaster 15x70, 20x70, 25x100 Binos, HoTech Collimator, Kendrick Dew System,Catsperch Chair.
Messier 110 Complete/ Messier 110 Sketches Complete / Herschel 400 Complete / H-2 and H-3 Complete
Bortle 3 Skies in Down Eastern NC
“Starlight, I hear you calling out to me so far away” Jeff Lynne ELO.
gregl
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by gregl »

Razz wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:46 am ... I grabbed a beer and went into my backyard and amused myself with it for about an hour...

Congrats on making a beer last an hour! :lol:

Seriously, do follow the advice above and don't buy stuff until you have had a chance to borrow from someone and try it first. I think all of us have ended up with stuff we don't use because it looks good and other folks have it. I've got some 14 or so eyepieces and I only really use three or four of them. I spent a lot of money on a zoom and I just don't like it. Filters, meh. But it's all very personal, so go slow and be sure you really need it. (My dad once said, "There is a difference between what you want and what you need.")
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Razz »

Thanks for the replies...any opinions on the #8 yellow filter and the moon and skyglow filters? Are they useful? Am I correct about the use for the moon and skyglow filter?
Telescopes: SvBony SV503 80mm, Apertura AD10, Daystar SS60DS,Bresser AR-127s, 6" GSO Ritchey-Chretien Astrograph
EPs: Baader Q turret with 32mm Classic Plossl and 18mm, 10mm, 6mm Classic Orthos and Q Turret barlow 2.25x
Filters: Celestron Variable Polarizing, SvBony F9131A UHC, Baader O III 10nm, Classic Lumicon O III, homemade solar filter with Baader OD 5.0 film, Optolong UV/IR cut

Bill
gregl
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by gregl »

I bought polarizing filters for the moon but find I don't need them. The only time I'm looking at the moon is from the light polluted city and the brightness of the moon is not so much that I need to fiddle with the filters. When I'm at a dark site, it's almost always during the new moon. I suppose there are folks who are trying to tease out lunar details and need filters, but I'd recommend waiting to see if that's something you get into. My solution to sky glow is to get out of town, which may not be practical for you. Perhaps those who have them will comment.
10538 United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by 10538 »

The #8 is a light yellow filter for use on the cloud bands and GRS of Jupiter and to bring out some details on Mars. The 80A is a medium blue that basically is supposed to do the same thing. To me it’s just a matter of which you like best. I’ve tried them both on Jupiter and Mars and I was so impressed that I never bother to take them out of the case anymore. Buy one and try it. It may work for you. Just don’t buy a set of them like I did! :oops: As for the SkyGlow filter, I bought an Ultrablock from Orion supposedly used to block stray light from street lights and other light pollution. It darkens the background too much for me and blocks out many faint stars and galaxies. I don’t care for it. I don’t have a SkyGlow filter because I don’t do photography.
Ed :Astronomer1:
Scopes: Orion 14 inch f/4.6 Dobsonian w/MoonLite focuser. Meade LX200 Classic 10”w/AudioStar and MoonLite focuser, Criterion RV6, Orion ST80A w/2” GSO micro focuser.
Eyepieces: ES 5.5mm 100*, 6.7mm 82*, 11mm 82*, 14mm 100*, 18mm 82*, 20mm 100*, Meade 9mm XWA 100*, 24mm UWA 82*, 56mm 50*, TV Delos 6,8 & 10mm, Panoptic 24, 27 & 35mm, 17mm Nagler, Powermate 2X, Baader 6mm Ortho, Paracorr II.
MISC: William Optics Binoviewer, Revolution 2 Imager, Orion Skyview Pro Mount, Skymaster 15x70, 20x70, 25x100 Binos, HoTech Collimator, Kendrick Dew System,Catsperch Chair.
Messier 110 Complete/ Messier 110 Sketches Complete / Herschel 400 Complete / H-2 and H-3 Complete
Bortle 3 Skies in Down Eastern NC
“Starlight, I hear you calling out to me so far away” Jeff Lynne ELO.
chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

Welcome aboard, I was where you are at about a year ago. I ended up buying a couple of items I don't use. My passion is AP and DSOs, so I can speak a little about filters. Filtesr really only do you good for AP as that was previously mentioned. You might want to get an LP filter, Sky Glow, but it's been said that truly is a preference of the user and depends on your sky. Check out your location to figure out your bortle rating is, just how polluted your sky is. You can do that at https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/ You'll need your GPS coordinates, you can use your cell phone and an app from your version of the Play store.

Don't go down the rabbit hole as this hobby can get expensive extremely fast. Research, research and more research once you figure out what you really want to do. And you've found the best place, IMHO, to ask those questions.

Clear Skies!
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

Save your money, filters are for imaging only, visually not worth it. Except the var polarizer, good on the bright moon.
I too have two boxes full of visual filter, all have not seen the light of 'night' for at least 20 years.

Clear skies,
Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Filters have their place but the list of useful ones is short.
I would not buy anymore than the polarizer for now and you may even find you do not need it.
A lot of people complain about the brightness but they are usually dark adapted which you do not need to be for lunar and planetary viewing.
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Razz »

Thanks for the opinions. It's appreciated. According to Clear Outside, I'm under Bortle 4 skies. I think the best idea, based on these replies, is to wait and see if I will, in fact, need any filters. Eventually, I'd like to get into AP but that will be a long time from now. Gotta learn to walk before I run...

Bill
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

Bortle 4, not bad skies. My primary location is under bortle 5. I started without any filters and only really use two now, both are for imaging and that was so I could enhance what I was getting. IMHO, you really don't need any ffilters for visual with those skies and not really for imaging either unless you specialize. Save your money for what you really want once you figure that out.
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but for visual use on not-so-bright targets, LP filters don't work well with that small telescopes. They tend to block too much light.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Filters are useful tools but they come later when you gather some experience. Your next purchase most likely will be some EPs, maybe barlow. I have upgraded focuser on my ST80 and that was a big improvement. Better diagonal. The list keeps going. :lol:
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
gregl
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by gregl »

Once I did see the value of an OIII narrowband filter. We were up at 8000 ft. altitude in the Sierra Nevada mountains on a particularly stable night. It's about as dark as it gets up there. One of our comrades had a huge Obsession (18 or 20-inch?). We were looking at the Swan nebula, and the filter made a noticeable difference, darkening the sky and enhancing the elements of the Swan. The view was spectacular. I don't know how much difference it would have made in my 8-inch SCT but at about $100 I'm going to get along with what I have, and hope that I get to look through that scope again sometime.
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

turboscrew wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:16 pm Correct me if I'm wrong, but for visual use on not-so-bright targets, LP filters don't work well with that small telescopes. They tend to block too much light.
No need to be corrected, my ED80 is a pain to platesolve with my Optolong filters. I have to crank up my ISO setting and exposure,
can't do that with your eyes, ;)
Last edited by chris_g on Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
messier 111 Canada
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by messier 111 »

:text-welcomeconfetti: to tss .
I LOVE REFRACTORS , :Astronomer1: :sprefac:

REFRACTOR , TS-Optics Doublet SD-APO 125 mm f/7.8 . Lunt 80mm MT Ha Doublet Refractor .

EYEPIECES, Delos , Delite and 26mm Nagler t5 , 2 zoom Svbony 7-21 , Orion Premium Linear BinoViewer .

FILTER , Nebustar 2 tele vue . Apm solar wedge . contrast booster 2 inches .

Mounts , berno mack 3 with telepod , cg-4 motorized , eq6 pro belt drive .

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

Jean-Yves :flags-canada:
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Razz »

I cancelled my order from Orion. I ordered 4 things that showed in stock, then suddenly one becomes unavailable and 2 are on backorder. I'm thinking about buying the SVBONY SV503 telescope. Any thoughts?

Bill
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Razz wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:39 am I cancelled my order from Orion. I ordered 4 things that showed in stock, then suddenly one becomes unavailable and 2 are on backorder. I'm thinking about buying the SVBONY SV503 telescope. Any thoughts?
I don't have a personal experience with it, but it looks like a well made scope. I have a few accessories from SVBONY the quality is on pair with products from Orion, Celestron,etc.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Razz »

Well, I just ordered it. We'll see how it goes...

Bill
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

Razz wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:39 am I cancelled my order from Orion. I ordered 4 things that showed in stock, then suddenly one becomes unavailable and 2 are on backorder. I'm thinking about buying the SVBONY SV503 telescope. Any thoughts?
I had issues with Orion when I first ordered equipment last February, in stock then not in stock, more in stock in 14 days, then changing to extended backorder. I had ordered from Opt, they confirmed that Orion's web site stock levels were jacked up. I ended up cancelling most of my order with them too and went with SkyWatcher. Thought they would have had it fixed by now. I use Agena Astro almost exclusively now. They seem to get stuff in faster and more reliably than the other sites.

Good luck!