Focusing and adding a barlow lens?

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Kagemusha
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Focusing and adding a barlow lens?

Post by Kagemusha »

Hello,

I have a beginner scope (Celestron Omni 120az) and the skies cleared enough to finally see Jupiter for the first time.

As I played with the focus using the stock 10mm lens, it started as a bright white dot but to my surprise as I fiddled with the control knobs, I could see Jupiter properly and it’s faint bands.

It was a bit blurry and I could only see half of it for sone reason), not sure if it was due to being indoors behind my balcony window (it’s like minus 5 Celsius out) or some light clouds.

Would adding a barlow lens improve the view or just magnify what I currently see?

Hope I get the chance to head outside as it warms up.
Brand new to backyard astronomy and hoping to learn about astrophotography! Starting this journey with my son. 👨‍👦
Please be gentle :lol:

Scope: Stock Celestron Omni AZ120 w/ stock mount and eye pieces
Cameras: Canon EOS T3 Rebel and an iPhone 13
Toys: Celestron x2 Barlow w/T-Adaptor, Auto-Shutter for my DSLR
Wish-List: Goto tracking mount, dedicated astrophotography cam, to capture the Orion nebula
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Focusing and adding a barlow lens?

Post by Ylem »

Sounds like unstable atmosphere AKA bad seeing conditions.

I usually switch to lower power EPs at that point and just enjoy the evening. A 12 or 15mm might give a sharper view at that point.

Edit; I seemed to miss that part about you being behind the window, (I need a coffee) that will cause problems.
Last edited by Ylem on Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

10538 United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by 10538 »

I definitely agree with Jeff but also looking through a glass window or even an open window will cause major issues with your viewing!
Ed :Astronomer1:
Scopes: Orion 14 inch f/4.6 Dobsonian w/MoonLite focuser. Meade LX200 Classic 10”w/AudioStar and MoonLite focuser, Criterion RV6, Orion ST80A w/2” GSO micro focuser.
Eyepieces: ES 5.5mm 100*, 6.7mm 82*, 11mm 82*, 14mm 100*, 18mm 82*, 20mm 100*, Meade 9mm XWA 100*, 24mm UWA 82*, 56mm 50*, TV Delos 6,8 & 10mm, Panoptic 24, 27 & 35mm, 17mm Nagler, Powermate 2X, Baader 6mm Ortho, Paracorr II.
MISC: William Optics Binoviewer, Revolution 2 Imager, Orion Skyview Pro Mount, Skymaster 15x70, 20x70, 25x100 Binos, HoTech Collimator, Kendrick Dew System,Catsperch Chair.
Messier 110 Complete/ Messier 110 Sketches Complete / Herschel 400 Complete / H-2 and H-3 Complete
Bortle 3 Skies in Down Eastern NC
“Starlight, I hear you calling out to me so far away” Jeff Lynne ELO.
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Looking through plate glass will definitely distort the view as well as looking through the heat layer on the outside of the glass.
Think of the heat waves you can see off paving or a vehicle roof on a hot day. You want to avoid this.
When outside and the telescope is acclimated properly the 10mm will work fine and Jupiter will show you more detail.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Agreed with window been likely cause for the blurry view. You can do some observing through a window but at lower powers.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baurice »

The seeing can vary a lot from night to night without any visual clues as to why. I agree that seeing through a window does not help but if it is uncomfortably cold outside it is possibly better than not seeing anything at all.

One thing more experienced astronomers do is decide not to go out because of poor conditions, then complain that they haven't seen anything for weeks.

I hold my hand up and plead guilty to that.