Recommendation please.

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
rbtsmpsn
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Recommendation please.

Post by rbtsmpsn »

I’m looking to buy my 16 year old daughter her first telescope.
It will be used in our backyard and parks in the suburbs of Dallas as well as rural East Texas. She’s mostly interested in the moon and planets but other deeper space objects might be fun. She’ll primarily use the telescope for simply viewing but might occasionally mount her phone for a short exposure shot of the moon or a planet. She’s not interested in long exposure astrophotography.

I’m trying to decide between two telescopes.

Orion StarSeeker IV 150mm GoTo Reflector
or
Orion SkyQuest XT8 PLUS Dobsonian

What would a beginner benefit more from, a telescope that locates and tracks or one that has a bigger aperture but is harder to locate and follow objects? I’m leaning towards the StarSeeker due to the tracking and locating capabilities. What kind of detail will she see in the StarSeeker as opposed to the bigger aperture of the 8” Dobsonian? Would there be a big difference?

Thanks for any input.
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Recommendation please.

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hi rbtsmpsn, welcome to TSS :D

I also have a 16 year old daughter; I kid you not. I will say for that age, go to the goto :lol: The 8" will show a huge amount more, but it's bulkier and can be hard to find things with if you're new to this.

The easier it is to use, the more the interest will stay on. Just my $0.02; I'm sure others will chime in :D

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Donne »

Here is my recommendation.
https://optcorp.com/products/celestron- ... cope-22097
For a beginner I recommend simplicity. This Maksutov telescope does not require the periodic optical adjustment called collimation.
It is a Go-to computerized mount that we have found quite easy to set up. We observe everything from Galaxies, Nebula, Planets, and the Moon.

You can purchase an ac adapter but I never did this. We have always had plenty of power from the set of batteries which are easy to change. We have gone 6 hours on this power supply and even then we quit before the AA batteries.

It may take a bit of study but a 16 year old should master this kit in short order. Of course you will be there as well to offer assistance and share the joy of viewing the stars together.

I have given this rig to several of my grandchildren.

If this fits in your budget give it some thought.

Hapoy shopping to you. 😊
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Hi and welcome to TSS.

Unless you already have a source for the Orion StarSeeker IV 150mm goto reflector, you may not be able to get one because they've been discontinued. The XT8 Dob coupled with a Telrad finder and a phone app called SkEye you get pretty close to easily being able to find stuff. So to me, the Dob definitely wins this competition.

Also, the Maksutov design telescope has a very long focal length typically f/11 - f/13 and because of this it looks at a very small piece of the sky. This works well for bright objects like the moon and the planets but it severely limits this telescope for any objects that are either faint or bigger than the moon ~ .5 degree

Cheers
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

WilliamPaolini United States of America
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 9

TSS Awards Badges

Post by WilliamPaolini »

I will second John's recommendation for a nice compact 5" Mak (or 6" SCT) with goto. While 8" Dobs are quite capable, they are also large, heavy, and a difficult carry to take in and out, plus the larger mirror may need a lot of acclimation time before cooled enough for planetary. For a beginner kid I feel if a Dob is gotten, then a 6" one is plenty capable for a wide variety of targets including deep space. And it is much much easier being small and light in comparison to an 8".

On the 6" Dob I prefer the Sky-Watcher over the Orion as it has a 2" focuser so you can use 2" eyepieces for those wider views.
https://www.adorama.com/skws11600n.html ... dl-gbase-p
-Bill

U.S.A.F. Veteran - Visual Amateur Astronomer since 1966 - Fully Retired since 2019
8" f/5 Newt - Lunt 152 f/7.9 - TSA 102 f/8 - Vixen 81S f/7.7 - P.S.T. - Pentax 65ED II - Nikon 12x50 AE
Pentax XWs - Baader Morpheus - Takahashi LEs - Edmund RKEs - BST Starguiders - 6ZAO-II/5XO/4Abbe
PM and Email communications always welcomed
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Good advice above. I'd lean toward a smaller scope for starters. She can always get a bigger Dob in the future.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
WilliamPaolini United States of America
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 9

TSS Awards Badges

Post by WilliamPaolini »

WilliamPaolini wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:40 am I will second John's recommendation for a nice compact 5" Mak (or 6" SCT) with goto. While 8" Dobs are quite capable, they are also large, heavy, and a difficult carry to take in and out, plus the larger mirror may need a lot of acclimation time before cooled enough for planetary. For a beginner kid I feel if a Dob is gotten, then a 6" one is plenty capable for a wide variety of targets including deep space. And it is much much easier being small and light in comparison to an 8".

On the 6" Dob I prefer the Sky-Watcher over the Orion as it has a 2" focuser so you can use 2" eyepieces for those wider views.
https://www.adorama.com/skws11600n.html ... dl-gbase-p
Actually, on thinking more, I would remove the 6" SCT from consideration. I've had all the scopes mentioned and the SCT is a bit more complicated to operate effectively than a 5" Mak. It has a longer thermal acclimation time so that means more prep time before observing, the thin glass on the corrector plate tends to dew up much faster than the thick glass on the Mak's front meniscus lens, collimation is a bit more difficult with the adjustment screws being on the front of the unit as opposed to on the back for the Mak, and finally the conventional SCT (i.e., non-Edge or ACF - FYI only Meade makes a corrected 6" SCT their ACF models, there is no Celestron 6" Edge SCT) will show lots of coma and field curvature in the off axis whereas the Mak design has a lot less of that so the off-axis star points look much better through a Mak.

Now some will rightly point out that the Mak has a longer focal ratio so the true field of view (TFOV) will be rather small with something like a 24mm 68 degree wide field or 32 Plossl both of which give the maximum TFOV for a 1.25" eyepiece. On the Celestron 5" Mak that John linked to, it is f/12, meaning the max TFOV with 1.25" eyepiece will be 1 degree (about 2 full Moon widths). However, the standard Celestron or Meade SCT .63x reducer works perfectly on these little Maks so using one of those inexpensive accessories on the 127 Mak will allow that 24mm 68 degree wide field or 32 Plossl get you a nice 1.6 degree TFOV. I believe the Sky-Watcher Maks need no adapters to use the .63x reducers, others like the Synta Orion branded Maks need adapters which can be gotten at http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_smsa.htm. When I had the 127 Mak it was a joy to use as 5" aperture was plenty nice for the prominent DSO and it was such a small form factor that it was a pleasure to travel with. So a nicely capable small instrument that cut no corners IMO when mated with a reducer for those wider views.

Below is a view comparison using the 127 Orion Mak I had. I used a 2" diagonal on it which increases the focal ratio of the instrument due to the light path it adds. But if you look at the yellow and green circles you can see how dramatic of a difference the reducer made with the a 1.25" eyepiece that has a 27mm field stop like a 24 Pan or 32 Plossl/Konig. Made it so a 2" diagonal not really needed.
127 Mak TFOV copy.jpg
-Bill

U.S.A.F. Veteran - Visual Amateur Astronomer since 1966 - Fully Retired since 2019
8" f/5 Newt - Lunt 152 f/7.9 - TSA 102 f/8 - Vixen 81S f/7.7 - P.S.T. - Pentax 65ED II - Nikon 12x50 AE
Pentax XWs - Baader Morpheus - Takahashi LEs - Edmund RKEs - BST Starguiders - 6ZAO-II/5XO/4Abbe
PM and Email communications always welcomed
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Welcome to TSS rbtsmpsn! I agree with others that smaller GoTo set is a better option. The problem is that virtually all GoTo sets are on backorder. I found this small refractor set still in stock and suggest to go for it.

It is very easy to use, does not require collimation like reflectors and the scope can be controlled from smart phone.

Orion StarSeeker IV 80mm GoTo Refractor

https://www.telescope.com/Orion/Orion-S ... 132760.uts
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

Hi rbtsmpsn. A few years away from retirement I wanted get back into astronomy so I bought this little gem to start:
Little Mak1.JPG
Little Mak2.JPG
Once you adjust your latitude and then find your target manually it will then track it. This puts in between a PushTo and a GoTo telescope. This 3.5" Mak is great for lunar and planetary viewing and also spitting double stars. However with it's narrow field of view it is not the best for wide field DSO observing. It is very portable and easy to set up, but later with my 7" Mak I mostly use it now for a grab and go scope or distant wildlife photography. A 5" Mak with GoTo would be even better for your daughter. However, as Bigzmey (Andrey) pointed out, most of the scopes listed at the better astronomy outlets are currently listed as out of stock, more on the way, or back order. That 80mm refractor with GoTo telescope that he provided a link for looks to be a great little telescope for your daughter. It does not come with a controller but is WiFi ready and can be controlled by a cell phone with app and it also includes a nice Moon Map and Sky Map. I hope this helps rbtsmpsn and a big welcome to the TSS forum to you and also your daughter.
:text-welcomeconfetti:
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
rbtsmpsn
Earth Ambassador

Post by rbtsmpsn »

Thanks for all the great input!!!!!!!
Kerry C. United States of America
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kerry C. »

If you get a go to, I recommend one that accepts the 12v power supply. The batteries do not last long on any of the mounts. Along with that if you plan on being places away from your home where you can not run an extension cord another thing is to consider would be a portable power source.
Kerry

Scopes; William Optics GT 81mm Triplet, TS Optics APO 102mm f/7refractor, Cestron Nexstar 8SE, Gskyer 80mm x 400mm refractor
Mount; Sky-Watcher HEQ5 Pro
Cameras; ZWO ASI 2600MC Pro, QHY5iii462C, ZWO ASI224MC, Canon 600D DSLR T3i.
Guide scope; ZWO 60280 f/4.6
Guide camera; ASI290mm mini
Filters; Optolong L-eXtreme 2”, Optolong L-Pro 2”, QHYCCD IR/CUT, QHYCCD IR850
The Happy Parrot
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

Post by The Happy Parrot »

One more option: Celestron's StarSense Explorer line. They are great for beginners, will orient them to thousands of objects withalmost any phone on the cradle, and best of all, no batteries, no cables, no complicated alignment. Just plop the phone on the cradle. Open the app, center it on the mirror, point it at a known star or planet to align it, and presto. Good to go. Here is a link to a new 5 inch Schmidt Cassegrain, but the other options are there too. The bigger aperture ones (4-5 inches) are notably better. I have the 102 refractor and greatly enjoy it. Sets up in 30 seconds.

https://www.celestron.com/products/popu ... 26b3&_ss=r
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Makuser wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:49 pm Hi rbtsmpsn. A few years away from retirement I wanted get back into astronomy so I bought this little gem to start:
Discontinued? I don't I've ever seen one on any of the usual vendor sites. Just curious.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Baurice »

I would start off with binoculars if you don't already have any.

Otherwise, 127mm Maksutovs are great and you can even buy a screw-in focal reducer to increase the field of view for deep sky objects. I used a 32mm Plossl eyepiece with a focal reducer to deliver 24x magnification and a field of view of nearly 2 degrees.
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

pakarinen wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:36 pm
Makuser wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:49 pm Hi rbtsmpsn. A few years away from retirement I wanted get back into astronomy so I bought this little gem to start:
Discontinued? I don't I've ever seen one on any of the usual vendor sites. Just curious.
Hi Olen. I bought this in 2009 from OPT and it was called the "Back Packer Package". It was later discontinued and replaced with a non motorized version on wooden base and that was later discontinued. My intent was only to illustrate how much fun a little telescope (of good quality) to start the hobby and also child friendly can be. Another version is still available to this day here, at:
And as others have pointed out, there are still several 4" and 5" scopes with GoTo and/or tracking currently listed, although being "in stock" may sometimes be a problem.
I am so glad that I kept this little scope as it still gets a lot of use from me. I hope this helps Olen and the best of regards.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>