Deep space telescope

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Emmanygren
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Deep space telescope

Post by Emmanygren »

Hi!
I'm looking for a deep space telescope. My max budget is around 800$. I'm a beginner so it shouldn't be to advanced, but I want something that will still work when I'm more experienced.

- clarity on deep space objects (galaxies, nebulas, etc..)
- telescope who fixes location automatically
- astrophotography friendly
- I would prefer a telescope fully kitted from start without buying extras to view certain things

Any recomendations?

/ the exicted beginner
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Deep space telescope

Post by helicon »

Hi and Welcome to the TSS Forums. It seems like there are a number of options, either a reflector or a refractor. I'll wait to see what the membership recommends.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Hmm, I think there's not many telescopes between those constraints.
Mine might be a bit over, both in functionality, but especially in cost.

You can get one helluva dobsonian, but with such, your possibilities of photography are very limited.
Also You'd need a sturdy enough tracking mount, rather even goto mount with load capability of about 2 times the actual load. I have CEM120, goto-mount with 50 kg load capability, and price about 4000 eur. That should be good for photography with my 15 kg 300 mm / 1200 mm telescope, that I paid about 2000 eur second hand. The mount is not exaggerated, because the telescope is so ling and "fat" that even slighter poofs of wind have quite some leverage.

Smaller refractors are much better and cheaper for AP, but at least for visual, may be a bit small for deep sky targets.

There are, however, much better experts than me on this site. Maybe some of then will chime in...
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Hello and welcome to TSS, thanks for joining us.

I don't know much about AP, other than a decent EQ mount is required.

Possibly an 8" SCT on an EQ like the Celestron AVX, sold as a kit, But that would put you over your budget.

Personally I would recommend something just for visual at the moment to get you feet wet. Maybe a nice 8" or 10" Dob.

You could even do some simple AP with a cell phone holder.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

I'm afraid you are asking for something that is not possible. At least, not completely.
The problem is when you asked for an "astrophotography friendly" setup. I'm afraid that doesn't really exist! :D
If you wish to photograph anything other than the moon, and maybe the planets using the lucky imaging technique, you are going to need a mount that can accurately track the night sky.
For a mount that can handle a decent payload and accurately track the sky, that alone is pretty much going to put you over your budget. At the bare minimum, unless you want to use a sky-tracker with just a camera/lens combo, I would say to look at the Celestron AVX mount, but again, that alone is over your budget.

On the other hand, if you want to get a purely visual rig, $800 will get you a really nice Dobsonian scope like this one. https://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/Do ... goryId=398
This scope is COMPLETELY manual so no tracking or pointing which means you'll need to learn a bit about the sky in order to find objects to view. Unfortunately, that ticks off two of your requested items in your list.

I always try and encourage beginners like yourself to NOT try to dive into astrophotography at the beginning. I have friends that are great astrophotographers but have never learned the night sky and it's always kinda strange talking about astronomy with them as they know so little about what is happening above their heads. They go out and produce these amazing images but because they were looking at a laptop screen the entire time, their eyes were never dark-adapted and they never noticed the Milky Way above them.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Ylem wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:43 pm Hello and welcome to TSS, thanks for joining us.

I don't know much about AP, other than a decent EQ mount is required.

Possibly an 8" SCT on an EQ like the Celestron AVX, sold as a kit, But that would put you over your budget.

Personally I would recommend something just for visual at the moment to get you feet wet. Maybe a nice 8" or 10" Dob.

You could even do some simple AP with a cell phone holder.
Not deep sky AP, though...
- Juha

Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

What do you, folks, think of this?
https://www.astroshop.eu/telescopes/bre ... r_1_select
It has no tracking, though.
This has, but is over the budget.
https://www.astroshop.eu/telescopes/bre ... r_0_select
- Juha

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Oops, @Emmanygren is from Sweden. Where?
There are two more things to consider, when it comes to the mount: temperature rating and altitude setting.
My mount should work down to -10°C (not very good in that respect), and it's maximum altitude setting is 67°N.
Works (barely) even in Rovaniemi (LAT 66.5°N).
Many mounts have altitude settings max 60°N. Pretty much unusable in Finland.
The latitude of Helsinki is 60.19°N.
- Juha

JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

First off welcome to TSS.

There are two distinctly different areas of AP, one is planetary / Lunar, the other is long exposure deep sky. All of your requirements plus your budget does not allow for everything you want. Long exposure deep-sky AP is a fairly expensive endeavor. If you are ok with starting at planetary / Lunar AP then this suggestion meets all your other requirements and is just a little over your budget.

https://www.adorama.com/cnn6se.html?gcl ... dl-gbase-p
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

If you are strict about the budget I would get this ES 80 mm achro on an iEXOS PMC8, https://explorescientificusa.com/produc ... o-to-combo . Check the reviews first but the PMC8 should be good.

Next up I would look for an EQM-35 mount https://www.adorama.com/skws30500.html with an 80 mm frac such as an Orion ED80 https://www.telescope.com/Orion-ED80-80 ... p/9895.uts but that's already $1400 in the US.

Both would be nice grab and go systems for when you get something better.

You sound a bit like a novice. If visual observing is your goal, try it first. I only know one fuzzy blob worth looking at with a scope smaller than 20", others get more out of it. If this is not for you, focus on astrophotography. The preferred gear is different and one method does not prepare you for the other.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Welcome to the forum Emmanygren! You are getting good suggestions already. I just add that vendors typically include very limited supply of accessories with telescopes. Enough to do a test run, but definitely not enough for observing or astrophotography. Be prepared to spend extra funds for that. Maybe adjust your telescope budget to leave some funds for EPs etc.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Emmanygren
Earth Ambassador

Post by Emmanygren »

Thanks for all great answers!
Im going to do some research, we'll see wich I choose.

/Emma
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

turboscrew wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:32 pm What do you, folks, think of this?
https://www.astroshop.eu/telescopes/bre ... r_1_select
It has no tracking, though.
This has, but is over the budget.
https://www.astroshop.eu/telescopes/bre ... r_0_select
That last one may be a good option. It's still not a good foundation, just a beginner setup but for the budget specified you can't get anything better. It would be good to check some of the EXOS-2 goto reviews before buying. Here's one by uncle Rod, http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/2017/02/ ... -with.html and here's a thread on CN though it's a lot about the PMC-8 alternative by Explore Scientific, https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/5778 ... -any-good/ . I'd say it's worth a shot and what can you do with that budget. About the non goto system, unless you're a die hard visual observer, fuzzy blobs are hard to find without goto. The second hand market is probably the place to look for that budget.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Emma. A lot of great answers above. Like anything new, you should start small and especially in astronomy. There are so many areas in which you may want to specialize your time and funds later. A big welcome to the TSS forum Emma and the best of wishes on your future telescope purchase decision.
:text-welcomeconfetti:
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
pakarinen United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

You might want to consider a SkyWatcher AzGti mount with a small, fast refractor. That would be go-to with tracking that should be suitable for short exposures as well as visual. I'd think you could mount a DSLR on it for widefield shots if you wanted. A fast refractor will show false color on pix, but it's a trade-off. Not great for faint, deepsky though. US vendor below, but I'd think you could find this in the EU:

https://www.adorama.com/skws21160.html? ... l-umbase-p
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baurice »

I suggest that you buy a large Dobsonian for visual use and a DSLR for AP use. There is loads you can do without tracking, such as brighter deep sky objects, comets, constellations, meteors, the Sun and Moon.

For ideas on what you can do with a DSLR alone, check:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/philippughastronomer/
Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baurice »

I'll add that you can always do the driven mount stuff later but I find plenty to capture without going anywhere near a driven mount. I'll also add that the learning curve is massive and many places don't have clear enough nights often enough. Some folks buy time on robotic telescopes instead.

However, my suggestions will get you started and you may find your interests develop in other directions.