CEM120 gear mesh adjustment calculations

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

CEM120 gear mesh adjustment calculations

Post by turboscrew »

Since the RA axis of my CEM120 jammed in last tests, I tried another approach.
I wonder if there's any sense to it.
I was thinking to set it just tight enough to start moving the full load.
I think the acceleration to slew is the highest load to the worm gear.
The gear should barely take that.

The mount is rated 50 kg excluding counterweights.
I estimated that 100 kg 50 cm away from the center of rotation is about
the moment of inertia. 100 kg * ((0.5 m)^2) = 25 kg/m^2

The full slewing speed is 1000 x tracking speed = 4.2°/s
I estimated that the slew speed is achieved in half a second.

The impulse moment is then moment of inertia * angular velocity and its time derivative (assuming linear acceleration) is (25 kg/m^2 * 4.2°/s) / 0.5 s
and that equals the torque needed.

With about 50 cm long counterweight pole, that would equal to about 11 kg weight at the end of the pole.

So I put the pole on (it should balance the mount itself) and added a 10 kg counterweight at the end. Then I adjusted the mesh such that it could barely hold the system in place with the counterweight pole in vertical position.
(The mount doesn't have to be able to move it, but just hold it without giving in.)

Am I totally wrong here, or could that be a start for finer adjustments?
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Re: CEM120 gear mesh adjustment calculations

Post by notFritzArgelander »

I'm not sure. I'm more confident about optics than mechanics.... A lot depends on how the mount is designed in detail. Could you run this by the product support folks?
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

If the slew speed is reached within 0.5 seconds that indicates to me that that should not be an issue. OnStep takes about 5 seconds to gradually reach slew speed. IOptron could have done the same if it were a problem.

What is a much bigger problem is when the gear binds up due to the main cog wheel being not round. This is what happens with th 6" cog wheel of the G11 a lot. This is why the RA gear always has some play, in th classic configuration, to leave some space for non roundness. When I tried to get it nice and tight it was binding up all the time. After implementing my spring loaded worms the problem was gone.

All iOptron mounts come with spring loaded worms. Have you checked their setting, and played with the spring stiffness? Is there a limit setting that is too tight?

I would test these settings thoroughly in the daytime to get a feeling for what matters. It really should not be a big issue and easy to solve knce you know your mount.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

It's that spring-loaded pin that presses the worm against the wheel that I've tried to adjust.
Too tight is when the teeth go too far and jams the worm. Too loose is when the spring allows the teeth to jump over.
Just loose is too much free play.

I sent a question about any procedure to "reset" the pin tension adjustment to iOptron, but I doubt...
- Juha

Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

turboscrew wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:37 am It's that spring-loaded pin that presses the worm against the wheel that I've tried to adjust.
Too tight is when the teeth go too far and jams the worm. Too loose is when the spring allows the teeth to jump over.

I sent a question about any procedure to "reset" the pin tension adjustment to iOptron, but I doubt...
I heard similar comments about how a high spring setting can cause too much friction. My DIY SLW has a rather weak setting and it has to slide into the groove as the worm starts turning. When it is not turning and I move the OTA a bit I can see the worm back off of the cog wheel. At first I did not like that at all - who wants a mount with backlash like symptoms - until I realised that it works fine when in operational mode. I don't know what you consider "just loose" but if it is like what I described it might just work fine when the mount is slewing or tracking. Clearly, it should work somewhere in between too loose and too tight or else all customers would have problems so it's a matter of finding the sweet spot. Of course I don't know exactly what problems you experienced so I could be way off the mark.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

SkyHiker wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:13 am
turboscrew wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:37 am It's that spring-loaded pin that presses the worm against the wheel that I've tried to adjust.

I heard similar comments about how a high spring setting can cause too much friction. My DIY SLW has a rather weak setting and it has to slide into the groove as the worm starts turning. When it is not turning and I move the OTA a bit I can see the worm back off of the cog wheel. At first I did not like that at all - who wants a mount with backlash like symptoms - until I realised that it works fine when in operational mode. I don't know what you consider "just loose" but if it is like what I described it might just work fine when the mount is slewing or tracking. Clearly, it should work somewhere in between too loose and too tight or else all customers would have problems so it's a matter of finding the sweet spot. Of course I don't know exactly what problems you experienced so I could be way off the mark.
I put that in an other posting but https://www.dropbox.com/s/wnkw06p4esm46 ... 7.mp4?dl=0
It happened slewing from Deneb to Hamal.

In the test day (23.10.2021) at about 9:00 PM (-2°C)

Code: Select all

star            AZ              ALT
Deneb       +218°18'16"     +71°16'04"
Hamal       +100°06'0"      +32°24'38"
- Juha

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

I wonder if my thinking in the original posting is valid, and I wonder if there are numbers that seem to be decades off or something.

The idea was basically, that the gear mesh should be tight enough for the acceleration from zero to full slewing speed, and the load is the moment of inertia. And I tried to produce the same "peak stress" statically with equal torque with a counterweight. I considered the maximum load capacity (50 kg + counterweights).
- Juha

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

About the math, your moment of inertia is right, 25 kg m^2 (not kg / m^2). For the acceleration of 4.2 degrees per second per 0.5 seconds, in radians that is (4.2*pi/180)/0.5 so the moment becomes 25 times that or 3.67 kg m^2/s^2 or 3.67 Nm. So putting a mass at 0.5 m in a vertical position to achieve that torque the mass would be two times that, or 7.33 kg. Not quite the 10 kg that you have but close enough for a test. Of course when you keep moving the moment changes significantly after not too long because gravity kicks in and provides an increasing torque. HTH
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

SkyHiker wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:35 pm About the math, your moment of inertia is right, 25 kg m^2 (not kg / m^2). For the acceleration of 4.2 degrees per second per 0.5 seconds, in radians that is (4.2*pi/180)/0.5 so the moment becomes 25 times that or 3.67 kg m^2/s^2 or 3.67 Nm. So putting a mass at 0.5 m in a vertical position to achieve that torque the mass would be two times that, or 7.33 kg. Not quite the 10 kg that you have but close enough for a test. Of course when you keep moving the moment changes significantly after not too long because gravity kicks in and provides an increasing torque. HTH
Thanks. Somehow I missed converting to radians.
I wouldn't test running the worm gear with 10 kg unbalanced load. It was just to figure out if it could take the moment of inertia at the speeding. I think I'll correct my calculations and try again. There is a good chance that the gear it too tight now. I did the calculations assuming 50 kg payload.
Thanks a lot again.
- Juha

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Argh. My mistake is bigger: 3.67 Nm is 3.67 N with 1 meter pole, that's 7.33 newtons with 0.5 meter pole.
1 kg creates about 10N force on earth, so that would be 0.733 kg with 0.5 meter pole?
That would equal to 1 kg with about 37 cm pole?
Could it be that small?
- Juha

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

turboscrew wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:58 pm Argh. My mistake is bigger: 3.67 Nm is 3.67 N with 1 meter pole, that's 7.33 newtons with 0.5 meter pole.
1 kg creates about 10N force on earth, so that would be 0.733 kg with 0.5 meter pole?
Could it be that small?
If you have the pole vertically then for an infinitesimally small displacement where the counterweight moves horizontally, gravity plays no role so it simply applies to a 7.33 kg weight, no factor 1/9.81 needed. I suppose you would have to figure out how gravity ties into this for non-infinitesimal movements.
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

SkyHiker wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:05 pm
turboscrew wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:58 pm Argh. My mistake is bigger: 3.67 Nm is 3.67 N with 1 meter pole, that's 7.33 newtons with 0.5 meter pole.
Could it be that small?
If you have the pole vertically then for an infinitesimally small displacement where the counterweight moves horizontally, gravity plays no role so it simply applies to a 7.33 kg weight, no factor 1/9.81 needed. I suppose you would have to figure out how gravity ties into this for non-infinitesimal movements.
The pole is supposed to be horizontally to statically create the torque that "simulates" the moment of inertia to the gear.
Gear_mesh_test.jpg
- Juha

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

If someone else wants to try this, DON'T!
It won't work. The difference between dynamic and static friction alone messes things up.
- Juha