Attaching camera to coma corrector?

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Attaching camera to coma corrector?

Post by turboscrew »

I've been trying to figure out what do I need to connect a camera to the telescope with coma corrector in place?
The HRCC has two adapters, one T2 and one 48x1. The camera has C-mount.
Getting T2 extension tubes/rings and a T2-C-mount adapter sounds natural, but if I wanted to add barlow?

What kind of adapters are usually used?
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Attaching camera to coma corrector?

Post by turboscrew »

I also asked the Finnish URSA-site, and got the idea that coma corrector is seldom used with barlow. Usually barlow is used with smaller targets that fit well in the "sweet spot" around the optical axis that suffer very little from coma.
Moon was mentioned as an exception, but still no idea how to use both barlow and coma corrector.
- Juha

Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"

Larry 1969 United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

You need to remove the helical focuser from the CC to attach a camera adapter.
See pg 4 here: https://www.bresser.de/out/media/23b024 ... 38290d.pdf
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Orion 8" astrograph 800mm @ F3.9
Eq6-R Pro controlled by APT via EQmod with an OTA mounted mini PC
Tele Vue Paracorr Type 2 coma corrector
Altair Hypercam 26C
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Larry 1969 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:20 am You need to remove the helical focuser from the CC to attach a camera adapter.
See pg 4 here: https://www.bresser.de/out/media/23b024 ... 38290d.pdf
That's why you can't get the barlow in between HRCC and camera.
The helical focuser also has some free play. It's OK in visual, but not so sure about photography.
- Juha

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

I presume the Barlow would go on the scope side not the camera side. So if you would insert the CC in the focuser tube you would now insert it in the Barlow. This is, assuming that you have a 2" Barlow unlike the one in your signature.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

SkyHiker wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:04 am I presume the Barlow would go on the scope side not the camera side. So if you would insert the CC in the focuser tube you would now insert it in the Barlow. This is, assuming that you have a 2" Barlow unlike the one in your signature.
Yes, looks like that. And instructions for PowerMate with Paracorr actually say so.
And yes, If I come up with the need of both barlow and CC, I'll get a 2" barlow. My current one is 1 1/4" and it was the cheapest available back then - not very good.
- Juha

SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

turboscrew wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:59 pm
SkyHiker wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:04 am I presume the Barlow would go on the scope side not the camera side. So if you would insert the CC in the focuser tube you would now insert it in the Barlow. This is, assuming that you have a 2" Barlow unlike the one in your signature.
Yes, looks like that. And instructions for PowerMate with Paracorr actually say so.
And yes, If I come up with the need of both barlow and CC, I'll get a 2" barlow. My current one is 1 1/4" and it was the cheapest available back then - not very good.
The 2x GSO ED Barlow that I have is quite good for the money. It can be used at 1.5 power too if you screw off some part. For planets, 2x would get you to well over 2400x since the CC extends the focus (mine goes from 1200 to 1380 with the Paracorr). It's hard to tell if the Barlow and CC play well together optically, if you need extra rings for instance.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

I recall HRCC doesn't change the focal length much - was it 6%?
I think I'll get the extensions for just the HRCC first. Then, later, I'll upgrade the barlow, and then, maybe, get the needed extensions for the HRCC - barlow combination (what needs to be changed). I think the barlow is needed first. You can get different extensions, but if the barlow, you have planned to get, is not available, ...

Yep, 6%. https://www.astroshop.eu/flatteners-cor ... or/p,47657
- Juha

Larry 1969 United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

Mine actually changed from 800mm to 840 (as calculated in APT) so not much gain at all. 5% according to my math...

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Orion 8" astrograph 800mm @ F3.9
Eq6-R Pro controlled by APT via EQmod with an OTA mounted mini PC
Tele Vue Paracorr Type 2 coma corrector
Altair Hypercam 26C