Simple questions from a beginner

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
gcorniani_br
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Simple questions from a beginner

Post by gcorniani_br »

Hello everybody abs thank you for this nice forum. I am starting on astronomy and I have a Celestron Nextstar 6SLT telescope (6” -150mm Schmidt Cassegrain optical tube).

I already was able to take nice pictures from the moon and Jupiter. But I have a lot of questions and I will star with two basics one:
1- when I focus on Jupiter, for example, it keeps moving out from my eyepiece. I am assuming that this is because the movement of earth and Jupiter, right? So I need to keeping refinding it every few seconds…right?
2- to take nice pictures of the planets is best to use a DSLR camera or a Svbony Telescope Camera CMOS 8M ?

Thanks for your support!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SCOPE: Celestron NexStar 6 - 6"Schmidt Cassegrain
CAMERA: Canon EOS Rebel T7i
MOUNTS: Celestron ADVANCED VX MOUNT. Celestron Computerized Altitude-Azimuth Single Fork Arm
GUIDE SCOPE: Qioniky 60mm
GUIDE SCOPE CAMERA: ZWO ASI120MC-S 1.2 Megapixel
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Simple questions from a beginner

Post by turboscrew »

The earth tends to turn away from Jupiter (and other planets and stars) and then back, in about 24 hours.
I don't know much about AP (at least yet), but I'd think that the planet images are usually quite small, so the camera, with smaller pixels might be better.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Hello gcorniani

It's always a bit of a surprise how fast things move out of an eyepiece view! What type of mount is your telescope on?

As for cameras, do you have either a DSLR or a Svbony yet? Which is best would depend on the model and quality.

Welcome to the forum.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

Hello gcorniani_br and welcome to the Forum.

There are a lot of knowledgeable and helpful members on this Forum, who will be able to guide you on your journey through the stars.

Do not be afraid to ask. No questions are silly.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Jupiter's motion is not noticeable over the short time span you are referencing. What you are witnessing is purely the Earth's rotation. Either one of those cameras will work, use the one that's easiest for you.

Cheers
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

gcorniani_br
Earth Ambassador

Post by gcorniani_br »

Thank you all for the replies. Answering the question made by you:
I do have the svbony sv205 camera and I was thinking in get a DSLR camera if it better. But, again: I do not know if a DSLR camera will give more details pictures that my current svbony sv205.
Question about my mount: I do not know which kind it is. It came with my Celestron SLT. It is not an equatorial mount, this I know.

Thanks
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SCOPE: Celestron NexStar 6 - 6"Schmidt Cassegrain
CAMERA: Canon EOS Rebel T7i
MOUNTS: Celestron ADVANCED VX MOUNT. Celestron Computerized Altitude-Azimuth Single Fork Arm
GUIDE SCOPE: Qioniky 60mm
GUIDE SCOPE CAMERA: ZWO ASI120MC-S 1.2 Megapixel
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

gcorniani_br wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:52 am Question about my mount: I do not know which kind it is. It came with my Celestron SLT. It is not an equatorial mount, this I know.
The Celestron SLT will automatically track the apparent movement of celestial objects.

My advice would be to get used to using it visually before you put your Svbony camera on it.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

When your mount is properly aligned, it will track objects in the sky by itself. Not well enough for long-exposure deep sky astrophotography, but certainly enough for visual viewing, and even short exposure planetary photography.

Read up in the manual about aligning the mount.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Hi and Welcome to the Forums.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Welcome on board Gcorniani. You have a nice scope there. SLT mount should track targets quite reliably.

Make sure that:
1) The right date/time, coordinates and altitude of your location are set as accurately as possible in your handset.
2) You are using good external power source. If you run it off AA batteries the accuracy of tracking is not as good.
3) Level your mount as best as you can.
4) Balance the scope.
5) Do proper two star alignment following the instructions. It is better to use bright stars rather than Moon or planets for alignment.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

gcorniani_br wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:16 am Hello everybody abs thank you for this nice forum. I am starting on astronomy and I have a Celestron Nextstar 6SLT telescope (6” -150mm Schmidt Cassegrain optical tube).
I already was able to take nice pictures from the moon and Jupiter. But... So I need to keeping refinding it every few seconds…right?
I went to the Celestron website to read the specifications.
https://www.celestron.com/products/nexstar-6slt

As Graeme1858 and KathyNS noted, your motorized, computerized mount will track and hold position once it is properly aligned.
I have a different Celestron product but similar in many ways. Allow me to suggest that you do more than two stars, four if you can.

(Just for one thing, smart as the software is, the fact remains that it takes three points to plot a conic section curve like a circle or an ellipse. So, give your telescope all the data it needs.)

Also the stars you select should be far from the North Pole (Polaris) and close or the the Ecliptic or the Equator. The Ecliptic is the path of the Zodiac. It is not easy with the Celestron software, but you have to know the stars by their Arabic names and where to find them. That means spending time with star charts planning your session outdoors.

I know that we all want this to be like channel surfing the television, but it is more like flying an airplane, and pilots spend as much time or more planning the flight as they do flying.

Also, the advice here to get used to your telescope before attemting photography is very sound. You have to walk before you can run. I have been doing this for a number of years and with my new computerized Celestron mount, I devoted daylight time indoors before four nights outdoors just learning the menu.

Final piece of advice here and now: NEVER give the telescope a command unless you have control of the OFF switch. Your SLT computer does not know which telescope it is carrying. So, it can drive the telescope into the mount if you are not careful. Also, some moves are impossible for the computer though easy for a person and you can give it a command that will make it turn upside down, telescope and all. So, guard that switch. (Hard lesson I should have known from working with robots.)
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baurice »

I would expect better results from your current camera.I have experimented with planets and a DSLR and find a dedicated astro camera or modified webcam gives better results. However, a DSLR can be used for everyday use and is also a very versatile piece of equipment for photographing bright deep sky objects, the Sun (with filters) and Moon. On a very clear night, I even leave it outside to capture meteors, using an automaic timer (intervalometer).
lostone United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by lostone »

I have the 9.25" version of that scope and it's mount. Your tracking is be set to Sidereal, (usualy default) You won't be able to keep the planets in the center due to the planets moving at different speeds. As for capturing the, It's best to use a fast planetary camera such as the ASI 462. When capturing planetary, you need to capture as a video, This way you can capture several hundred or thousand of frames. SharpCap and FireCapture are used for this. Then there are other software to use to process and clean up the image. Best part FireCapture and other processing software for planetary is FREEEEEEEEE.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most! :tease:

Scope: Explorer Scientific 127CF, Askar FR600, Planewave CDK 14""
Guide Scope & Camera: ASI 174, ZWO OAG-L
Camera: QHY 268 Mono, QHY 600 Mono
Mount: Planewave L-350, Skywatcher EQ8-Rh Pro, Losmandy G11
Accessories: Moonlite Nitecrawler WR30, WR35, Eagle 3&4 Pro, QHY CFW3/7 Filterwheel, QHY Polemaster,
Software: N.I.N.A., CdC, Planewave 3, Pixinsight