PLEASE learn from my mistake!

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Larry 1969 United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

PLEASE learn from my mistake!

Post by Larry 1969 »

I've been imaging for a few years now and I don't often visit this "Beginners forum" but I have to share this experience...

A few nights ago the sky was amazing. The clearest I've seen in a long time so I set up despite a 50% moon. I focused on NGC 7023 until moon rise and then it was off to M45 for the rest of the evening. When I woke in the morning I went through some of the nicest subs I've captured to date! I transferred them from my OTA mounted mini PC to a 1TB solid state portable hard drive and then to my processing PC. I've done this a hundred times and didn't think twice about it...

When I got home from work I decided to start processing so I opened the file to find it completely empty! :shock:
I searched everywhere but all of that nice data was lost!!! :x

The lesson is, use COPY and paste for transferring your files instead of CUT and paste... I could have easily retrieved that data if I had done that...
I'm pretty sure one of the transfers was messed up and I could have simply went back a got it from the mini PC... It's COPY and paste for me from now on... I'll go back and delete the files after they have all been successfully transferred ti my processing PC...

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Orion 8" astrograph 800mm @ F3.9
Eq6-R Pro controlled by APT via EQmod with an OTA mounted mini PC
Tele Vue Paracorr Type 2 coma corrector
Altair Hypercam 26C
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Re: PLEASE learn from my mistake!

Post by Graeme1858 »

Good advice Larry.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Bummer! I hope you will have a chance to collect more good data soon.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
Butterfly Maiden Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Butterfly Maiden »

A lesson learned the hard way Larry.

You will never do that again.
Vanessa

Nikon D82 Fieldscope with 30x/45x/56x angled eyepiece.
Olympus DPS-1 10x50 binoculars.
Leica 8x32BN binoculars.
Gfamily Wales
Saturn Ambassador

Post by Gfamily »

Have you tried using Recuva software to see if you can retrieve the data from the OTA PC?
LS8 Meade SCT, SW 127 Mak, 72mm Lightwave Refractor
Star Adventurer
AZ Gti mount
www.midcheshireastro.co.uk for astro company
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

Gfamily wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:58 pm Have you tried using Recuva software to see if you can retrieve the data from the OTA PC?
I've never heard of that software. Interesting. :think:
Thanks for the tip!

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Sorry to hear. I can imagine how bad you must have felt.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

Using the recovery software mentioned might do the trick. The data is not actually erased from the drive until you overwrite that space. The software simply deletes the lookup table for the location of the data so new data has permission to overwrite that space.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Yup I used Recuva after upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10 - don't ask... but I got almost everything back. Try that!

I always use cut and paste except I do it manually because a one-time mistake can be corrected I think.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Ozypic
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Ozypic »

Ah yes I've had 68 yrs of those moments, but as stated its always worth trying to undelete with whatever software you can find. They quiet often worked for me. Its all about how long you leave it I think.... Phill
Phill. Dreaming of Clear Skys .... :D :D :D
SCOPE : Skywatcher 120X600 ST Achromatic Refractor. 
EP's : 25mm & 10mm Plossl , Celestron 8/24mm Zoom EP,
Filters : Solar filter, Badder Fringe Killer & Moon/Skyglow. 
MOUNT : Skywatcher Star Discovery goto Mount.
CAMERAS : ZWO 120 asi MC. / Sony HX400V 50X Zoom.
Binoculars : Saxon 10x50
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

I agree, Henk (Skyhiker) is right. Worked for me quite a few times. And if you haven't done much with your drive (installing programs, etc) you have a really good chance of getting it all back :D

I seriously hope it works for you; be great to see what you got!

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Ouch, Larry! I am so sorry to hear of your trouble. Hopefully recovery will be possible!

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

I Just wondered if it worked Larry? These errors follow us around Gremlin like waiting for us to get to the familiarity causes contempt phase.
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

carastro Great Britain
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by carastro »

So sorry to hear of this and please let us know if you manage to retrieve the data.

I always copy and paste when I do this for fear of losing data. Trouble is it rarely gets deleted off my imaging laptop. This has been handy once or twice when I have been at an Astro camp away from home when I have wanted to combine new data with old data.

Carole
Mount: HEQ5 + Polemaster
Guiding: SW Finderguider and QHY5
Scopes: Skywatcher ED80, Skywatcher ED120, William Optics ZS71, Samyang 135MM F2 lens,
Cameras: Atik460EX, Atik428EX, Canon 1100D
Filters: Baader

https://sites.google.com/view/astrophot ... -pope/home
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Sorry to hear that Larry. Hopefully recovery will get your data back.
I also have had a few issues with cut and paste. I always copy and paste from my imaging laptop to a usb stick, then copy and paste from the stick to my processing pc. Once I see all of the data safe and sound on my processing pc, I delete the trail.
I also image the processing pc drive and copy it to a spare hdd periodically as extra insurance.
Please let is know if recovery works!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

Juno16 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:18 pm Sorry to hear that Larry. Hopefully recovery will get your data back.
I also have had a few issues with cut and paste. I always copy and paste from my imaging laptop to a usb stick, then copy and paste from the stick to my processing pc. Once I see all of the data safe and sound on my processing pc, I delete the trail.
I also image the processing pc drive and copy it to a spare hdd periodically as extra insurance.
Please let is know if recovery works!
Hi Jim,
I'm doing exactly as you describe from now on. It takes 7 hours to collect data and only a split second to lose it...
I will download that software and try to recover it but the following 2 nights were nice as well so I did manage to get a decent image.

Larry
For visual:

For imaging:
Altair Hypercam 26C
lostone United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by lostone »

Larry 1969 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:10 pm I've been imaging for a few years now and I don't often visit this "Beginners forum" but I have to share this experience...

A few nights ago the sky was amazing. The clearest I've seen in a long time so I set up despite a 50% moon. I focused on NGC 7023 until moon rise and then it was off to M45 for the rest of the evening. When I woke in the morning I went through some of the nicest subs I've captured to date! I transferred them from my OTA mounted mini PC to a 1TB solid state portable hard drive and then to my processing PC. I've done this a hundred times and didn't think twice about it...

When I got home from work I decided to start processing so I opened the file to find it completely empty! :shock:
I searched everywhere but all of that nice data was lost!!! :x

The lesson is, use COPY and paste for transferring your files instead of CUT and paste... I could have easily retrieved that data if I had done that...
I'm pretty sure one of the transfers was messed up and I could have simply went back a got it from the mini PC... It's COPY and paste for me from now on... I'll go back and delete the files after they have all been successfully transferred ti my processing PC...

Larry
Ouch and than Ouch again. I have always done the Copy & Paste. Sometimes onto a lightning drive and sometime straight over the network, depending on how many files. Not until they get backed up onto my NAS do I even think about removing them off my Eagle.

Stuff like this happens to the best of us, I forget how many times I have forgot a check box or some other little stupid thing.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most! :tease:

Scope: Explorer Scientific 127CF, Askar FR600, Planewave CDK 14""
Guide Scope & Camera: ASI 174, ZWO OAG-L
Camera: QHY 268 Mono, QHY 600 Mono
Mount: Planewave L-350, Skywatcher EQ8-Rh Pro, Losmandy G11
Accessories: Moonlite Nitecrawler WR30, WR35, Eagle 3&4 Pro, QHY CFW3/7 Filterwheel, QHY Polemaster,
Software: N.I.N.A., CdC, Planewave 3, Pixinsight
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

Uggh. Yeah, my condolences. I hate that terrible feeling one gets when data has gone missing. It happened to me just recently when making a backup of a laptop. It took hours and hours. Way too long. And nothing seemed to be happening... so I looked at the back up directory and everything appeared to be there (according to "ls"). I was using a newly upgraded full edition of Ubuntu and it was too slow on this old laptop so I loaded a new, slimmer version of Ubuntu. Went to put the backed up data back on the laptop and voila - nothing - just the file/directory names. I lost everything. I had not noticed the file sizes (should have used an "ls -l") were 0 bytes. Thankfully, I am no longer a business person, so the data lost doesn't matter, except for my own website, which I downloaded all the data from it immediately. I still don't know why the full version of Ubuntu was acting so flakey. But I really like this Q4OS. Runs really well on an old Dell inspiron laptop.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter