Astrophotograpy tool not recognizing Canon 5d Classic

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
ttanquary
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Astrophotograpy tool not recognizing Canon 5d Classic

Post by ttanquary »

Hello,
I was given a Canon 5d Classic camera that I was able to use to take some decent astro photos by manually operating the shutter. I have not been able to get the correct drivers for windows 7 32bit and APT could not recognize the camera either. I purchssed the DUSB device from the Shoestring Astronomy website, hoping I could bypass windows. The DUSB check tool allows me to control the camera shutter using the computer and APT is able to connect to the DUSB device, however it still does not recognize the camera. Is the APT connection to the camera dependent on Windows 7 also recognizing the camera even when using the DUSB device? Has anyone else been able to use a Canon 5d classic with APT? If so, were there any special settings that needed to be selected for the camera to work?

Thanks!
Tom
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Astrophotograpy tool not recognizing Canon 5d Classic

Post by JayTee »

According to the camera compatibility matrix on the APT website, your camera should be recognized by APT. Using the Canon specific software on your laptop does it see your 5D? If that is the case then contacting Ivo would be the next step, he is very responsive because he's the author of APT. His email address is on their website.
This matrix. https://astrophotography.app/EOS.php
Cheers
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."