What size telescope to see Hercules D crater on the moon?

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: What size telescope to see Hercules D crater on the moon?

Post by John Baars »

realflow100 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:34 pm Can fixing the overcorrection improve the image
You can't do it yourself. Such corrections can be done by a high skilled optician in his optical shop. Applying coatings must also be outsourced. But the costs transcend the price of a new and better telescope.
I just need some additional spacer rings I could stack to get the right spacing. but where to buy them from cheap?
You can use three alufoil spacers and take the foil from the kitchen. See my post from August 23.
my star tests look almost exactly like that! based on that result would there be a recommended spacing to aim for? to at least get it closer?
That would be a case of trial and error.
Surprised I can even see 2 bands on jupiter with correction that bad
With a well corrected refractor you should be able to see more than that, if seeing is on your side. Saving for a high-end telescope seems more sensible to me than spending money on low-end telescopes every time. It seems to me your hobby is to get the most out of the simplest instruments every time. But by now all this must be old news to you, right?
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
realflow100 United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by realflow100 »

the foil would be too thin. I need something more between the size of 0.2 to 0.5mm to see what is closest
but its really hard to position them and have the lens aligned. thats why I wanted ring spacers instead of little squares/pieces of something.
Svbony SV503 70mm ED F6 420mm FL refractor telescope (New)
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
Tamron 18-200mm F3.5-F6.3 II VC lens
canon 50mm STM F1.8
svbony 8-24mm zoom eyepiece
svbony goldline 66 degree 9mm and 6mm + 40mm plossl + 2x barlow.
svbony UHC 1.25 filter + astromania 1.25" O-3 filter + also an svbony H-B filter.
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by realflow100 »

ok I tried re-spacing and adding spacing but the image didnt seem to change in any meaningful way :( it looks about the same with about twice as thick spacer.. Maybe a tiny fraction better? but its too hard to tell.

I tried even THICKER spacers. and it still looks the same. what is going on??

I stuck back the original spacer and it looks the same again.
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
canon 50mm STM F1.8
svbony UHC 1.25 filter + astromania 1.25" O-3 filter + also an svbony H-B filter.
MistrBadgr United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by MistrBadgr »

Looking at the website that John was using, the craters you have circled match with Edege B and C. Wikipedia says B is 8 km across and C is 5.
A long 70mm refractor has a Dawes limit of about 1-3/4 arc seconds, but I am not sure right now how that computes to km on the moon.
Bill Steen
Many small scopes, plus a Lightbridge 12, LX 70-8R,6R,6M
Many eyepieces, just not really expensive ones.
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

MistrBadgr wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:35 am Looking at the website that John was using, the craters you have circled match with Edege B and C. Wikipedia says B is 8 km across and C is 5.
A long 70mm refractor has a Dawes limit of about 1-3/4 arc seconds, but I am not sure right now how that computes to km on the moon.
There are several ways of finding out. One of them is looking in Stellarium.
There you'll find that the current Moon is 3474.8 km or 29 arcminutes. The size in arcminutes / arcseconds is decreasing by the minute at the moment.
29 arcminutes = 3474.8 km.
1740 arcseconds is 3474.8 km
1 arcsecond = 1.997 km
So 5 km = 2.5 arc seconds.
ok I tried re-spacing and adding spacing but the image didnt seem to change in any meaningful way :( it looks about the same with about twice as thick spacer.. Maybe a tiny fraction better? but its too hard to tell.

I tried even THICKER spacers. and it still looks the same. what is going on??
You won't be able to see the difference on objects like the Moon or daylight-objects. Only critical startesting will show a slight and subtle difference.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by realflow100 »

I used star testing. not the moon or daytime objects.
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
canon 50mm STM F1.8
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Don't forget to check a weather site like Meteoblue for tonight's "seeing" conditions. It includes an estimate of best angular resolution you can expect each hour.

It sounds like you are getting good views from an economical scope just by being diligent in fine tuning the optics. I'm encouraged by what you have accomplished under bad light pollution and restricted set up locations.

Keep us posted.
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

It is rather difficult to make the difference between 0.5 and 0.3 Wave SA, especially when one doesn't have the the comparison material side by side.
0.5 and 0.3 Wave in 70mm.png
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by realflow100 »

ok thats barely any difference at all.
How much of a difference in spacing do I need to make it noticably better?
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
canon 50mm STM F1.8
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

As I told before that is a question of trial and error for us amateurs. I suppose an optician could do some calculations.
Since you already did all trials and errors, from a very narrow gap to twice the distance set by the manufacturer, I think you are at the end of the possibilities the lens gives you and within your reach.

When you haven't done yet, you could think of flocking or internal baffling all shiny surfaces you see when you aim at the clouds with your eyepiece removed. That makes a good difference in contrast- mid tones, together with an aperture stop. (I remember stopping down a 60mm departmentstore toy to 45 mm, with good results.) When you have already done so, there is nothing much left to be done, except for saving for a better telescope in future.

And meanwhile: keep observing and enjoying! Your current telescope is ten times better than the one I started with (made of spectacle lens, cardboard tube and single magnifier) Still I kept on observing!
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by realflow100 »

Oh Ive flocked the focuser tube so theres no shiny surfaces left anymore
gave a big boost in contrast.
I also blackened the edges of the lens elements with a sharpie too

I think maybe the spacing is too large by a fraction of a millimeter. think i been going about it backwards?
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
canon 50mm STM F1.8
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

realflow100 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:14 pm (...) think i been going about it backwards?
I am not sure if I know exactly what you mean.
But If you think the steps you took were too big, you can do it again.
I would try it in 0.16 mm steps.With kitchen-alufoil being folded 4X you can do that quite precisely.( 4X folded= 0.16 mm)
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by realflow100 »

its so impossible to cut and space them at ABSOLUTELY PERFECTLY the right distance and size though
Ive tried in the past and no amount of fiddling would stop star airy disks from being distorted out of existence. or the rings and airy disk distorted and bent to one side. or worse. chromatic aberrations across the whole image in some direction.
i need the ring spacers.
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
canon 50mm STM F1.8
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

realflow100 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:04 am its so impossible to cut and space them at ABSOLUTELY PERFECTLY the right distance and size though
I don't agree. The following three spacers of 0.16 mm were made within minutes. I folded the alufoil 4 times and then cut to size.
3 spacers of 4Xfolded alufoil.JPG
the rings and airy disk distorted and bent to one side.
That is the coma you get when two lenses are slightly shifted or when one spacer is too slim. In the last case alufoil should be added under the spacer nearest to the bright coma-center. Í did so to correct my 150 mm f/5 achromat.
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=13533&p=114276&hil ... ma#p114276
j.gardavsky Germany
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by j.gardavsky »

John Baars wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:26 am
realflow100 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:04 am its so impossible to cut and space them at ABSOLUTELY PERFECTLY the right distance and size though
I don't agree. The following three spacers of 0.16 mm were made within minutes. I folded the alufoil 4 times and then cut to size.

the rings and airy disk distorted and bent to one side.
That is the coma you get when two lenses are slightly shifted or when one spacer is too slim. In the last case alufoil should be added under the spacer nearest to the bright coma-center. Í did so to correct my 150 mm f/5 achromat.
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=13533&p=114276&hil ... ma#p114276
Very good!

Here, we call it shimming with the sheet plates
Please, keep with the correct pronounciation,
JG
6" F/5 Sky-Watcher achro, 2" BBHS Star Diagonal, 2" zenith prism, 1.25" Takahashi prism
Leica 82mm APO Televid
Eyepieces: Docter UWA; Leica B WW and WW Asph. Zoom; Leica HC Plan S and L, monocentric; Pentax SMC XW, O-, XO; Tak MC O, Carl Zeiss B WW, and Pl, E-Pl, S-Pl, W-Pl;
Swarovski SW; Baader Symmetric Diascope Edition; Nikon NAV SW, ; TMB supermonocentric; Rodenstock; Vixen HR; TV Delos
Filters: Astrodon, Astronomik, Baader, Balzers, Zeiss West and East, Lumicon
Binoculars (7x42 up to 15x85): Docter Nobilem, Leica Ultravid, Nikon Astroluxe, Swarovski EL Swarovision; BA8 (Kunming Optical)
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by realflow100 »

I think I need to add more tape to the edges to keep the elements centered in the telescope tube. Too loose and wobbling around.
I have to keep loosening the threaded part and rattling the lens around then snugging it back down until stars aren't coma blobs in some direction. cause if I dont use tape to hold the lens elements together straight and aligned its unusable beyond even 20x magnification.
also trying to get both lens elements aligned is even tougher. Its very difficult to get the lenses to stay aligned while putting 3 pieces of tape in 3 separate corners of them so they are straight and not offset (causes chromatic aberration and color shift issues if its way off)
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
canon 50mm STM F1.8
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by realflow100 »

Should I get a green filter of some kind. so the other wavelengths of light arent giving me misleading results?
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
canon 50mm STM F1.8
MistrBadgr United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by MistrBadgr »

Opinions vary about what color of filter to use, or even IF a filter is used. Personally, with a a medium or short focal ratio refractor, I will use a #58 green filter when viewing the Moon if it is more than half full. I might go without one in an early or late crescent phase. I think the color that a person likes the best depends on how his/her eyes work and the brain processes the information.

Using a green filter will knock out a large part of what the red and blue cone cells see and, I think, emphasize the green light and how it is refracted through the objective and other lenses. Some people like to use a red filter. I do not remember reading or hearing about anyone that prefers a blue filter for the Moon, but there could be some. You will have to try the green and see if it works for you. Most likely, it will. For me, a green does seem to give me a sharper image as long as there is plenty of light for it to work with. Normally, a little lower magnification works better for me with a filter than without one.

Hope this helps.
Bill Steen
Many small scopes, plus a Lightbridge 12, LX 70-8R,6R,6M
Many eyepieces, just not really expensive ones.
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by realflow100 »

I meant for doing star test. not for observing with.

edit:
ok I dont know exactly what I did but now I see absolutely flawlessly circular airy disks with a ring around it. perfectly round. (for moderate to dim point sources)
brighter ones probably will have several rings though.
They also seem to look much smaller than they did previously.

I can even push my scope past its theoretical limit and still see smaller details when the atmosphere is calm enough. beyond 140x
most of the time its too turbulant for more than 70x!
in/out focus is still inconclusive. i think adding spacing is the wrong way around. it seemed to make it worse. and when i put back the original thinner spacer ring it was better.
might need to reduce spacing but im not sure what the right spacing is. 0.01mm? or 0.1mm? 0.2mm? it'll take forever and i dont want to smudge up the lenses anymore with the prints spacers make.
the alignment is so perfect this time i can't fathom it being any better. the airy disk is so perfectly round with the ring very neatly around the disk. with no distortions.
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
canon 50mm STM F1.8
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

realflow100 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:56 pm I meant for doing star test. not for observing with.

edit:
ok I dont know exactly what I did but now I see absolutely flawlessly circular airy disks with a ring around it. perfectly round. (for moderate to dim point sources)
brighter ones probably will have several rings though.
They also seem to look much smaller than they did previously.

I can even push my scope past its theoretical limit and still see smaller details when the atmosphere is calm enough. beyond 140x
most of the time its too turbulant for more than 70x!
in/out focus is still inconclusive. i think adding spacing is the wrong way around. it seemed to make it worse. and when i put back the original thinner spacer ring it was better.
might need to reduce spacing but im not sure what the right spacing is. 0.01mm? or 0.1mm? 0.2mm? it'll take forever and i dont want to smudge up the lenses anymore with the prints spacers make.
the alignment is so perfect this time i can't fathom it being any better. the airy disk is so perfectly round with the ring very neatly around the disk. with no distortions.
Congrats, you pushed through!
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.