What size telescope to see Hercules D crater on the moon?

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Re: What size telescope to see Hercules D crater on the moon?

Post by John Baars »

realflow100 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:56 pm I meant for doing star test. not for observing with.

edit:
ok I dont know exactly what I did but now I see absolutely flawlessly circular airy disks with a ring around it. perfectly round. (for moderate to dim point sources)
brighter ones probably will have several rings though.
They also seem to look much smaller than they did previously.

I can even push my scope past its theoretical limit and still see smaller details when the atmosphere is calm enough. beyond 140x
most of the time its too turbulant for more than 70x!
in/out focus is still inconclusive. i think adding spacing is the wrong way around. it seemed to make it worse. and when i put back the original thinner spacer ring it was better.
might need to reduce spacing but im not sure what the right spacing is. 0.01mm? or 0.1mm? 0.2mm? it'll take forever and i dont want to smudge up the lenses anymore with the prints spacers make.
the alignment is so perfect this time i can't fathom it being any better. the airy disk is so perfectly round with the ring very neatly around the disk. with no distortions.
Congrats! Apparently you came across the right configuration. I wouldn't change it anymore. Never change a winning one! For startesting in an achromat I use a yellow/greenfilter.
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
MistrBadgr United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Post by MistrBadgr »

realflow100 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:56 pm I meant for doing star test. not for observing with.

edit:
ok I dont know exactly what I did but now I see absolutely flawlessly circular airy disks with a ring around it. perfectly round. (for moderate to dim point sources)
brighter ones probably will have several rings though.
They also seem to look much smaller than they did previously.

I can even push my scope past its theoretical limit and still see smaller details when the atmosphere is calm enough. beyond 140x
most of the time its too turbulant for more than 70x!
in/out focus is still inconclusive. i think adding spacing is the wrong way around. it seemed to make it worse. and when i put back the original thinner spacer ring it was better.
might need to reduce spacing but im not sure what the right spacing is. 0.01mm? or 0.1mm? 0.2mm? it'll take forever and i dont want to smudge up the lenses anymore with the prints spacers make.
the alignment is so perfect this time i can't fathom it being any better. the airy disk is so perfectly round with the ring very neatly around the disk. with no distortions.
Congratulations! :) That happens more often than one might think. You don't know what you did for sure, but all of a sudden, it works! My advice is to not go back into the scope unless something slips and you loose the good collimation or positioning otherwise. Do not fix it until it breaks! :)
Bill Steen
Many small scopes, plus a Lightbridge 12, LX 70-8R,6R,6M
Many eyepieces, just not really expensive ones.
realflow100 United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by realflow100 »

yeah this time i didnt even change the spacing. its just whatever it is and it looks pretty perfect.
its almost so perfect the slight bit of mis-spacing of the elements doesnt even matter. maybe it slightly softens the contrast of fine details but i can still see the fine details.
Svbony SV503 70mm ED F6 420mm FL refractor telescope (New)
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
Tamron 18-200mm F3.5-F6.3 II VC lens
canon 50mm STM F1.8
svbony 8-24mm zoom eyepiece
svbony goldline 66 degree 9mm and 6mm + 40mm plossl + 2x barlow.
svbony UHC 1.25 filter + astromania 1.25" O-3 filter + also an svbony H-B filter.
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by realflow100 »

OMG I SAW MAGNITUDE 9.5 STAR (or 9.75 not sure which one)
in pleiades!
at about 93x magnification in my 70mm F6 double refractor scope!
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
canon 50mm STM F1.8
svbony UHC 1.25 filter + astromania 1.25" O-3 filter + also an svbony H-B filter.
John Baars Netherlands
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 5

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Baars »

The Pleiades shroud themselves more or less in a slight mist as you know. Although these nebulae are not directly visible, they still obscure the limiting magnitude of the telescope by tenths. Outside the Pleiades you will therefore be able to get a few tenths deeper!
Attached a nice test because I think you can still go a step deeper!

http://arksky.org/images/pleiades.jpg
Refractors in frequency of use : *SW Evostar 120ED F/7.5 (all round ), * Vixen 102ED F/9 (vintage), both on Vixen GPDX.
GrabnGo on Alt/AZ : *SW Startravel 102 F/5 refractor( widefield, Sun, push-to), *OMC140 Maksutov F/14.3 ( planets).
Most used Eyepieces: *Panoptic 24, *Morpheus 14, *Leica ASPH zoom, *Zeiss barlow, *Pentax XO5.
Commonly used bino's : *Jena 10X50 , * Canon 10X30 IS, *Swarovski Habicht 7X42, * Celestron 15X70, *Kasai 2.3X40
Rijswijk Public Observatory: * Astro-Physics Starfire 130 f/8, * 6 inch Newton, * C9.25, * Meade 14 inch LX600 ACF, *Lunt.
Amateur astronomer since 1970.
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by realflow100 »

I doubt the nebula in pleiades is even taken into consideration in my high bortle 7/low bortle 8 observing location.
Maybe in a bortle 1 you'd see a slight difference lol

OK I checked in stellarium desktop version and the star I saw is actually magnitude 10.5 (air mass reduced to 10.84 magnitude)
so thats even more impressive
the web version may be out of date?
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
canon 50mm STM F1.8