Best planetarium app for tablet

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
NikkiT
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Best planetarium app for tablet

Post by NikkiT »

Hi, l'm heading to Dalby Forest at the end of August for the " Starfest"
Thought it might be a good idea to take my tablet with a planetarium app on it.
There are dozens on Google play.
Would really appreciate any suggestions.
Skywatcher ED80, Skywatcher EQM35 pro, Canon eos100d, second hand 10x50 binoculars (unknown brand, but they work great!)
KingClinton
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Best planetarium app for tablet

Post by KingClinton »

I use Skysafari 6 Pro and find it to be the best app available.
Does everything I need.
There is also a free basic version to try out.
Eyeballs, binoculars, sketch box, Scopes n stuff.
Some people don't understand why I love astronomy so much, I cannot understand why they do not!

Gfamily Wales
Saturn Ambassador

Post by Gfamily »

People do say that Sky Safari is the best, and I have it - but my 'goto' app is always Stellarium - costs a small amount ( <£2 I think) but I just prefer the relative clarity and much less 'fussy' interface.
sky safari and stellarium.png
LS8 Meade SCT, SW 127 Mak, 72mm Lightwave Refractor
Star Adventurer
AZ Gti mount
www.midcheshireastro.co.uk for astro company
Lowjiber
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Lowjiber »

Stellarium is my go-to application on my tablet.
John (Urban Astronomer) Apertura AD10 Dob; XLT 150 Dob; XLT 120EQ; Lunt Solar 60 PT/B1200; ES AR102; SW Pro 100ED; 2 SW Pro 80ED's; 90mm Eq; WO Z-61; SW 90mm Virtuso Mak; 2 Orion ST-80's; Quark-C; Cams: Polemaster, ASI120MM-S, ASI174MM & ASI174MM-C
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

I like Stellarium and SkySafari, but SkySafari is what I use on my iPad and iPhone. I’ve been using it since version 5 plus came out and haven’t upgraded. It does everything that I need.
They are both great apps and either will do a fine job.

Good luck,
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
KingNothing13 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

I have only used SkySafari Pro - it's a great app. GFamily's above screenshot of SS is a little misleading - you can turn off all of those pictures and such and make it look "Normal"
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

KingClinton
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KingClinton »

Another plus for Skysafari is the ability to make observation notes.
These are then uploaded to Live Sky and they sync across all your devices.
So I can do observation notes on my tablet and easily review them on my phone later, very handy feature that is lacking on most other platforms.
Eyeballs, binoculars, sketch box, Scopes n stuff.
Some people don't understand why I love astronomy so much, I cannot understand why they do not!

NikkiT
Earth Ambassador

Post by NikkiT »

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll put skysafari on my tablet this evening and give it a try.
Skywatcher ED80, Skywatcher EQM35 pro, Canon eos100d, second hand 10x50 binoculars (unknown brand, but they work great!)

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

For reference, here is what I currently have SkySafari 6 Pro looking like on my phone (my first gen iPad is too old for it - it runs, but slowly). I also have the computer version for my laptop.

-- Brett

List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

NikkiT
Earth Ambassador

Post by NikkiT »

Quick update.
Have installed skysafari on my tablet.
Had half an hour playing with it and I am very impressed.
Very easy to use and so much information.
Need to find out what more I would get if I paid for one of the upgrades.
Having said that I think the copy I have now will keep me amused for a long time!!

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

NikkiT wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:31 pm Quick update.
Have installed skysafari on my tablet.
Had half an hour playing with it and I am very impressed.
Very easy to use and so much information.
Need to find out what more I would get if I paid for one of the upgrades.
Having said that I think the copy I have now will keep me amused for a long time!!
I will advise - if you do end up wanting to buy one of the versions, wait for the next sale. At least the US versions go on sale about once a month. Not sure if the UK would be the same.

I got the Pro version for both iPad/iPhone and MacOS for significantly off the regular prices.
-- Brett

Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

Ozypic
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Ozypic »

I use Star Tracker to do my set up on the scope. I have all the others but its quick and easy. Phill
Phill. Dreaming of Clear Skys .... :D :D :D
SCOPE : Skywatcher 120X600 ST Achromatic Refractor. 
EP's : 25mm & 10mm Plossl , Celestron 8/24mm Zoom EP,
Filters : Solar filter, Badder Fringe Killer & Moon/Skyglow. 
MOUNT : Skywatcher Star Discovery goto Mount.
CAMERAS : ZWO 120 asi MC. / Sony HX400V 50X Zoom.
Binoculars : Saxon 10x50
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

It's Stellarium for me but to be fair I've not really tried others. I have it on my pc and my phone. On the pc I use it for all aspects of planning a session changing views dates and times etc. One of the most useful tools is the ocular view, I have saved my camera sensor and telescope specifications so I can see how an image will frame.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

I use Sky Safari Plus since it works with my push-to set-up / encoders + WIFi. Before I bought it though, I downloaded the free version to try out the interface. The free version is pretty good by itself IMO and I still have that on my phone also.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Lokifish
Mars Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Lokifish »

SkyPortal if on a budget, SkySafari Pro if not. SkyPortal is the free Celestron mount specific version of SkySafari Basic.

If running a mount without Go-To or digital push-to , SkEye is great. One can have their tablet/phone mounted on the telescope and use it as a smart push-to setup.
Russ
A.K.A "Backyard Observatory" on Facebook and Youtube

Meade SN8 w/ DIY coma corrector, Astro Modded Rubinar 1000/10 @f/5.2, 130/5 Newtonian, Pentax SMC 200/4, Canon SH 30/1.7
SkyWatcher EQ6-R Pro, Modified Celestron SLT
183 OSC, 224 OSC, Canon 1100D, Sony NEX-3
Nikon 7-12 zoom, a lot of DIY/salvage eyepieces
OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

I have both stellaruim and Skysafari 5 pro running on iPad and iPhone. Stellarium is very good value for money but I have to admit that unlike GFamily, I prefer using the Skysafari interface to the Stellarium interface. I use it with a SkyFi interface to GOTO control my Takahashi EM200 mount. Very easy to use.

GOTO accuracy is of course only dependent upon mount polar alignment and GOTO calibration.

I also tend to goto Skysafari just as a map reference for other manual scopes. In night vision mode it is a gentle red on the eyes. When you wake the tablet, it wakes with a blue screen then switches to red after a few seconds. I have learned to wake the pad using touch ID with the screen pointed away from me then only look at it after it has turned red.

I have an iPhone SE which has a quite small screen. I don't like either app for field use with the iphone but if I want to know something and don't have the iPad with me, they are better than nothing and when you license on the Apple store, you can install on phone and pad for one subscription fee.
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

OzEclipse wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:07 pm I have both stellaruim and Skysafari 5 pro running on iPad and iPhone. Stellarium is very good value for money but I have to admit that unlike GFamily, I prefer using the Skysafari interface to the Stellarium interface. I use it with a SkyFi interface to GOTO control my Takahashi EM200 mount. Very easy to use.

GOTO accuracy is of course only dependent upon mount polar alignment and GOTO calibration.

I also tend to goto Skysafari just as a map reference for other manual scopes. In night vision mode it is a gentle red on the eyes. When you wake the tablet, it wakes with a blue screen then switches to red after a few seconds. I have learned to wake the pad using touch ID with the screen pointed away from me then only look at it after it has turned red.

I have an iPhone SE which has a quite small screen. I don't like either app for field use with the iphone but if I want to know something and don't have the iPad with me, they are better than nothing and when you license on the Apple store, you can install on phone and pad for one subscription fee.
If either of your devices (iPad or iPhone) is running iOS 10 or greater, you can change the color of the OS interface itself to red. And change the brightness as well.

Go to Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> Display Accommodations -> Color Filters and select the red pencil. I have my iPhone set to turn red on a triple tap of the home button (not sure what the equivalent in the models of iPhone that do not have the home button is) Back in Accessibility, look for Accessibility Shortcut and put a check next to "Color Filter".

For brightness, I am just using the swipe up menu from home/lock screen.
-- Brett

Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

I should've said in there - slide the intensity and hue sliders in the Color Filters window, not the pencil - sorry about that - all the way to the right to get the red.

Over the years I've seen various reports that yellow or orange are better for night vision, but I do not believe either of those.
-- Brett

Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

OzEclipse Australia

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

KingNothing13 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:59 pm I should've said in there - slide the intensity and hue sliders in the Color Filters window, not the pencil - sorry about that - all the way to the right to get the red.

Over the years I've seen various reports that yellow or orange are better for night vision, but I do not believe either of those.
Thanks for the tip on the red screen. The iPad fits in large pockets in my winter jackets.
With touch ID, I can turn it on inside my pocket then remove it once in red mode so I have never felt the need to make the iPad go full red.

Yellow or orange are easier to see/read ie better for your vision and visual acuity but not better for preserving your night vision. It's a balancing act between a small effect on night vision and ease of reading charts or other things.

I purchased a 50 pack of orange LEDs and at some stage intend to make myself some orange light sources. A light box for reading paper charts, handheld flashlight and when I build my observatory, I will have orange LED's faintly illuminating the floor from a hidden recess around the walls and have some dim but variable intensity LED lighting for benches and shelves.
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members), The Sky Searchers (moderator)
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Hmmmm. Sounds like I'll have to try some orange nail polish on one of my rechargeable clip-on book lights. Usually my yard is so bright from LP that I don't need a light unless I want to try sketching something, but dark sites are obviously different.
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s