Tracking planets

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
jb123
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Tracking planets

Post by jb123 »

Hello Everyone I didn't know quite where to start so I decided to start here. I have one question I hope someone can answer for me.When I focus on a planet, say Jupiter, the image will not remain stable when I let go of the scope. It immediately begins to gradually drift out of view which has been very frustrating. It does not do this with the Moon which i get excellent views of. Can someone please give me some advice as to what's causing this. Jb
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Planetary

Post by helicon »

jb123 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:37 pm Hello Everyone I didn't know quite where to start so I decided to start here. I have one question I hope someone can answer for me.When I focus on a planet, say Jupiter, the image will not remain stable when I let go of the scope. It immediately begins to gradually drift out of view which has been very frustrating. It does not do this with the Moon which i get excellent views of. Can someone please give me some advice as to what's causing this. Jb
Hi and Welcome to the forums jb123. This is due to the earth's rotation and you will see the same effect if you look at a star field through your telescope. With an alt-azimuth mount you will gently need to nudge the tube to keep the object centered in the field of view.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
jb123
Earth Ambassador

Re: Tracking planets

Post by jb123 »

Thanks Michael I should have known but since it doesn't do it with the moon I thought it might be due to the lens I'm using. But I'm relieved. I just need a little more practice. Thanks again.
ARock
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by ARock »

If you have an EQ mount, it is easier to manually track. You just need to move the scope in 1 axis (using a slow motion knob) as opposed to 2 axes on an alt az mount. So, even if you step away from the scope for a couple of minutes, you can come back and move one knob and get Jupiter in your field of view (FOV) again.

It is also cheaper to add a RA motor to an EQ mount, which will track the rotation of the earth automatically and keep objects in the FOV.

You will notice, that the larger the magnification, the smaller the FOV and the faster the object drifts out of your FOV.

Not sure if you have an EQ mount or an Alt Az mount. BTW, you can add your equipment to your signature in the profile page, so it shows up on all your posts.

Welcome to the forum !
AR
Scopes: Zhumell Z8, Meade Adventure 80mm, Bushnell 1300x100 Goto Mak.
Mount: ES EXOS Nano EQ Mount, DIY Arduino+Stepper drives.
AP: 50mm guidescope, AR0130 based guidecam, Canon T3i, UHC filter.
EPs: ES82 18,11,6.7mm, Zhumell 30,9mm FJ Ortho 9mm, assorted plossls, Meade 2x S-F Barlow, DGM NPB filter.
Binos: Celestron Skymaster 15x70 (Albott tripod/monopod), Nikon Naturalist 7x35.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

It would really help if we knew what kind of telescope and mount you're using.

Cheers
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

jb123
Earth Ambassador

Post by jb123 »

Hello all again, and thanks for the reply. I am using a Zhumell 130 , alt az , and lately with a 6mm eyepiece and 3x barlow lens. Tues. night I got the best views of Jupiter and Saturn yet but the strangest thing happened last night. I did not achieve the same magnification and the planets appeared more like stars even though they were still as bright as previously observed though in a different location. Could this be because they are now farther away ?
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

The Moon and Jupiter and Saturn and stars, nebulae and clusters will all drift out of the field almost exactly the same way. If you are using a low magnification eyepiece for the Moon and high magnification for Jupiter, that would explain why you are seeing the drift at different rates. This drift is normal.
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

You are using too much magnification your scope is a F5 so you could perhaps use a 4 mm max on a good day , with a 6mm and a 3x Barlow its a 2mm way over the top for most telescopes and therefore you will not achieve focus .
No the planets are not further away they move quite slowly , the ones you mention take many years to revolve around the sun
I would not use the 3x barlow , only perhaps on the moon , just try with the 6mm for Jupiter and saturn for around 108x will not be as big but much clearer , no use just seeing a big bright blob
From your previous post the moon is bright and a large target but it moves the same as the planets , just look at it , leave for a few seconds like 30 and its gone
If you want the best magnification from your scope a 5mm would be the best to get , not sure what 6mm you have but if it came with the scope then a better 5mm will help a bit
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

Further to my previous post your scope is a good starter and is made for wide field views , so look at the many other objects in the sky I am not sure how much LP you have but a phone APP always helps a bit
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
jb123
Earth Ambassador

Post by jb123 »

Thank you both for you excellent advice. I'm just beginning and I know I need a little more experience using these eyepieces and learning which ones and which combinations to use.Also I know now I should have gone with the 2x Barlow.Thanks again. James
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hi jb123, and welcome to TSS :D

I'd have to say you're using too much magnification for your scope. I'd skip the barlows altogether, and maybe move up to a 15-20mm lens, even a 25mm. Lower magnification will make the planets appear as planets with moons (at least Jupiter and possibly Saturn, depending on your skies), not points of light. Also, objects won't drift out of your field of view as fast, giving you more time to enjoy the view :D

All the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4 & AZ-EQ5 mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.

Oh yeah, and Solar Cycle 25 :D