Back focus question

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Back focus question

Post by chris_g »

Someone correct me if I am wrong or tell me it I am right.

The Canon T3i has 44mm of distance from the sensor to the mount point on the body, according to some research on the web. The T-Ring specifically for the Canon has 11mm, as measured by my ruler, once it is completely threaded to the reducer corrector. Do I need any of the multitude of extension tubes that I bought to achieve the needed back focus of 55mm as 44mm plus 11mm = 55mm? My whole confusion at this point, do I measure from the sensor or do I measure from the mount point on the body of the camera?
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Back focus question

Post by KathyNS »

No need to measure at all! TL;DR: Your setup is fine as it is.

There is a reason that many reducers/flatteners/coma correctors specify 55mm as their design back focus. It is because 55mm is the depth of *ALL* DSLRs when they have their correct T-ring installed. The whole point of designing the devices with a 55mm back focus is so that you don't need any other adapters. The measurement is from the mounting flange to the sensor.

The T-mount standard was developed by Tamron (hence the "T"), a maker of SLR lenses. They wanted to make their lenses interchangeable among different brands of cameras, so that a photographer who used both Canon and Nikon cameras, for instance, didn't need to buy two different lenses of each focal length. To do that, they needed adapters for each camera mount type. They also needed the optical spacing to be the same for all cameras, even though each manufacturer had their own body depth, so that the lenses would focus properly. The solution was to have the mount adapter compensate for the body depth. The result is that all standard T-rings make their camera 55mm deep.

The fact that your camera with its T-ring is the right depth is not a coincidence. The system was designed that way.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

Thank you for the info Kathy, that will get logged into my journal. One more question if you don't mind. What devices or when would there be a need for extension tubes?
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

chris_g wrote: ↑Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:30 pm Thank you for the info Kathy, that will get logged into my journal. One more question if you don't mind. What devices or when would there be a need for extension tubes?
There are focal reducers / flatteners that require 85mm or 105mm of back focus. To use one of these with a DSLR, you would need 30mm or 50mm of extension tubes, respectively.

Or, with your 55mm reducer, you might some day decide to use it with a dedicated astro camera that uses 12.5mm of back focus. So then, you would need 55 - 12.5 = 42.5mm of extension tubes.

I replaced my DSLR with a filter wheel / CCD combo. My coma corrector required 57mm of back focus: 2mm for the necessaty thread adapter and the standard 55mm for a DSLR. To make up for the missing camera body depth with the new equipment, I had to use 19mm of extensions.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

KathyNS wrote: ↑Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:26 pm
chris_g wrote: ↑Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:30 pm Thank you for the info Kathy, that will get logged into my journal. One more question if you don't mind. What devices or when would there be a need for extension tubes?
There are focal reducers / flatteners that require 85mm or 105mm of back focus. To use one of these with a DSLR, you would need 30mm or 50mm of extension tubes, respectively.

Or, with your 55mm reducer, you might some day decide to use it with a dedicated astro camera that uses 12.5mm of back focus. So then, you would need 55 - 12.5 = 42.5mm of extension tubes.

I replaced my DSLR with a filter wheel / CCD combo. My coma corrector required 57mm of back focus: 2mm for the necessaty thread adapter and the standard 55mm for a DSLR. To make up for the missing camera body depth with the new equipment, I had to use 19mm of extensions.
Thank you again, I do plan on switching to a dedicated astro camera, though that is a ways away.
pixelsaurus New Zealand
Moon Ambassador

Post by pixelsaurus »

Great thread. I just purchased a T adapter for a Pentax DSLR and after ordering it, I suddenly had a vision of receiving a bog standard M42 to PK adapter, the one that fits completely into the throat of a Pentax dslr in order to use M42 thread camera lenses. I was pleasantly surprised to find my new T adapter was about 10mm thick. That plus the Pentax register (45.46mm) comes to roughly 55mm. Another T adapter mystery sorted. πŸ‘
Mike

Rokinon 135mm f/2 lens, Tamron 90mm f/2.5 SP lens
NcStar 20x70 binoculars
iOptron CEM26 Goto EQ Mount, iOptron SkyGuider Pro
iOptron miniGuidescope + QHY5P Guide camera
Pentax K500, Pentax K70, Pentax K1, QHY183C
NexStar Evolution 8 HD Telescope with StarSense, Wedge for NexStar Evolution and SE 6/8
Umbrella, gumboots.
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

pixelsaurus wrote: ↑Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:40 pmI was pleasantly surprised to find my new T adapter was about 10mm thick. That plus the Pentax register (45.46mm) comes to roughly 55mm. Another T adapter mystery sorted. πŸ‘
I would bet money that an accurate measurement of the T-ring would show that it is 9.54mm thick.
pixelsaurus New Zealand
Moon Ambassador

Post by pixelsaurus »

KathyNS wrote: ↑Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:00 pm I would bet money that an accurate measurement of the T-ring would show that it is 9.54mm thick.
Close enough, my digital calipers say 9.57mm. πŸ‘
Mike

Rokinon 135mm f/2 lens, Tamron 90mm f/2.5 SP lens
NcStar 20x70 binoculars
iOptron CEM26 Goto EQ Mount, iOptron SkyGuider Pro
iOptron miniGuidescope + QHY5P Guide camera
Pentax K500, Pentax K70, Pentax K1, QHY183C
NexStar Evolution 8 HD Telescope with StarSense, Wedge for NexStar Evolution and SE 6/8
Umbrella, gumboots.