Why can i see stars naked eye down to magnitude 4.72 (confirmed) but not the andromeda galaxy?

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
realflow100 United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Why can i see stars naked eye down to magnitude 4.72 (confirmed) but not the andromeda galaxy?

Post by realflow100 »

Why can i see stars naked eye down to magnitude 4.72 almost 4.8 (confirmed with stellarium) but not the andromeda galaxy or orion nebula?
I can also see a very very faint band of the milkyway at the zenith with heavy use of averted vision over period of 20 minutes. its extremely vague and barely detectable. but there is a cloud-like band. and i confirmed it with a photo with my camera so it is really visible.

but andromeda galaxy is non-existent naked eye.
its very faint in 7x50 binoculars. just a tiny fuzzy looking dot. same in a telescope. just a fraction larger looking dot.
I also cant see the orion nebula at all either naked eye. theres just plain nothing there. I see like 3 very faint "pairs" of stars. and the middle second-brightest one should be the orion nebula. but i dont see anything. just stars

Even with my telescope at 20-40x magnification orion nebula is just a slight glow around some stars. and the only details ive been able to pick out are the dust pillar in the middle. and very briefly over period of 20 minutes of observing I detected the curvy "wings" in averted vision

Something fishy is going on. everywhere i read and everyone is telling me andromeda should be visible with at least averted vision based on what star magnitudes i can detect. but i can't see any hint of it even when i know i'm looking straight at where it should be. (I can just barely detect the 3 stars leading to andromeda. Mirach and such) very difficult. but can see the last 3rd faintest star with averted vision)

The sky doesnt look dark at all by the way. its clearly glowing a dull bluish color. with yellow gradients in various directions.
I'm wearing glasses and I should have 20/20 vision (I can see the stars unebelievably sharper with my glasses on compared to without them.) i have astigmatism which makes stars look like enlongated vertical blobs. and much fainter too than with my glasses.
Svbony SV503 70mm ED F6 420mm FL refractor telescope (New)
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
Tamron 18-200mm F3.5-F6.3 II VC lens
canon 50mm STM F1.8
svbony 8-24mm zoom eyepiece
svbony goldline 66 degree 9mm and 6mm + 40mm plossl + 2x barlow.
svbony UHC 1.25 filter + astromania 1.25" O-3 filter + also an svbony H-B filter.
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Re: Why can i see stars naked eye down to magnitude 4.72 (confirmed) but not the andromeda galaxy?

Post by Graeme1858 »

Although the Andromeda Galaxy has a magnitude of 3.5 or so, that is a measure of it's total output and the thing is huge! It's area is equal to about six full Moons. The light that comes from it is spread over that area. So most of the galaxy is invisible. You need a Bortle 4 sky at least to see the core but then you will never see the rest of it naked eye. Apparent Magnitude is not really a useful measure of brightness when applied to galaxies. Surface brightness is a more useful measure. I can't remember what the surface brightness of Andromeda is!

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Why can i see stars naked eye down to magnitude 4.72 (confirmed) but not the andromeda galaxy?

Post by realflow100 »

When I read a bortle website it says partial views of andromeda naked eye in bortle 8
and naked eye limit at magnitude 4.5 with "best efforts"

either I can see stars fainter than my bortle level. or something weird is going on with either my eyes or the light pollution??

After 20 minutes of standing outside next to a field with no excessive streetlighting i still dont see any fainter details than the first couple minutes i stepped outside :(

Aside from pleiades no other deep sky objects are visible. but i'm not sure if the milkyway counts when its "ridiculously faint averted vision only. with like 30 to almost 45 degrees of averted vision. and only near the zenith.
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
canon 50mm STM F1.8
svbony UHC 1.25 filter + astromania 1.25" O-3 filter + also an svbony H-B filter.
sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

Listed galaxy magnitudes are always too optimistic. Andromeda is mag 3.44, a crock, surface brightness is listed as an average of 22.3/ sqr arc-sec since it is soo huge, the nuclear region is about 15.5/ sqr arc-sec. I doubt if you could see it in the city. Numbers are from a web search, so mileage can vary, but I have no easy time in my Bortle 3 skies, old eyes, I guess.

Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

You aren't going to see M31 under a Bortle 8 sky.

It is easily naked eye under a Bortle 2 sky with excellent transparency. I have had a non-astronomer, just randomly looking up at the sky under those conditions, ask me what that fuzzy blob was. It was M31, of course. No special skill or experience was required: the thing was obvious.

I can easily see it under my Bortle 3 skies, and I can usually see it from my astronomy society's star party site, at Bortle 5-ish, because I know where to look and what to expect.

But, as the sky gets brighter, the contrast of faint objects against the background gets less. Under city or suburban skies, you just won't see it.

Now, if you want a real dark-sky challenge, try M33. I haven't yet found a dark enough sky to see it, though I am told it is naked-eye in excellent conditions. I can almost convince myself that I have seen it, but I can't quite be sure.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Published mags for extended objects are usually mags that are integrated over the apparent area of the object. So a fourth mag object might well be invisible to the naked eye if it's spread out over a large enough area. Then consider LP, etc., etc.

And if I'm recalling that incorrectly, I'll have another taco, thanks.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Similar experience to the OP, I've tried for a year or so to see M31 from my Bortle 7-8 suburban home. With no luck. Just checked Astrospheric and tonight is predicted to be cloudless with good seeing (low turbulence) but very poor transparency (humidity, dust, and smoke from the wild fires).

My July trip to rural Michigan netted only one night of decent weather but it helped put a lot of this in context. Bortle 3-4 according to a web search, average seeing, average transparency. I could almost see the effects of the smoke as a haze over the star field.

Since you are also on the East Coast, I suspect humidity and therefore transparency is a part of your problem.
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

I have seen M31 twice naked eye from home when conditions were just right, very clear November evening with some fog obscuring the city lights. Last time was 3 years ago. Otherwise, it cannot be seen but is obvious in 7x50 binos.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

I cant see it with level 8 or 9 at my place , have only seen it once as a grey blob when we had a huge power cut so a large part of my area went dark and then only with 15x70 binos , none of my scopes worked even at lowest power as my 32mm eyepiece just gave too much mag , when I had my WO 80mm I could have perhaps but had a tree in the way , tree is no more
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

In my first post,

... surface brightness is listed as an average of 22.3/ sqr arc-sec since it is soo huge, the nuclear region is about 15.5/ sqr arc-sec.

Should be converted to magnitude/ sqr arc-MIN, since a human 20/20 can see about one minute of arc. If, my math is correct, an arc-min is an area 3600 time bigger than an arc-sec.

Then: 2.5*log 3600 = about 9 magnitudes

Yields 22-9= 13th mag for the outer part
and 15-9= 6th mag for the nuclear region

This is for direct vision, avert vision has even poorer resolution but better sensitivity so the apparent brightness will increase , but I have no data to calculate it.

Help, someone check my math!!
Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by realflow100 »

YIKES magnitude 6 for the core?
Thats disappointing lol. no wonder its just a vague averted-vision-only dot even in my telescope.
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
canon 50mm STM F1.8
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

realflow100 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:19 am YIKES magnitude 6 for the core?
Thats disappointing lol. no wonder its just a vague averted-vision-only dot even in my telescope.
But that's pessimistic. Seeing the contrast between an extended object like M31 or M33 and the background sky is completely different from detecting a star. The physiology of the makes the two tasks completely different.

From my former home in VA (Bortle 4) M31 was pretty easy, M33 was tough, and if I couldn't see the Orion Nebula the night was maybe not worth the trouble. :)

You really need a darker sky for this. If you can barely make out the Milky Way, your sky is too bright for naked eye detection of these things. The sky must be darker than the object.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5