Planetary

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
lostone United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Planetary

Post by lostone »

Ok people, I want to try my hand at some Planetary imaging. I believe I have everything I need except for maybe filters. I plan on using my EdgeHD 11", I have a Tele Vue 2x Powermate, ASI 462MC camera and Firecap software. I think they only thing left are what filters do I need to use with this? I want to try for Jupiter and Saturn to start with.

I am looking for some solid advice please since I have never done planetary imaging, Only DSO & Terrestrial. Info on filters, slewing rate, you know all the good stuff to get me going. Youtube is driving me nuts with all kinds of info but nothing definitive that I can disseminate.

Thanks

Mark E.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most! :tease:

Scope: Explorer Scientific 127CF, Askar FR600, Planewave CDK 14""
Guide Scope & Camera: ASI 174, ZWO OAG-L
Camera: QHY 268 Mono, QHY 600 Mono
Mount: Planewave L-350, Skywatcher EQ8-Rh Pro, Losmandy G11
Accessories: Moonlite Nitecrawler WR30, WR35, Eagle 3&4 Pro, QHY CFW3/7 Filterwheel, QHY Polemaster,
Software: N.I.N.A., CdC, Planewave 3, Pixinsight
sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Planetary

Post by sdbodin »

I just looked at the published response curve, and it seems that a good IR cut filter is needed for true colors. Otherwise, I suspect, that the planet colors will be rather muddy.
asi462-qe-curve.jpg
Some people like to image in the IR and that is just fine, but what color is an invisible light?? BW seems fine to me. So maybe an IR pass, visible cut filter would be a second choice.

Just thoughts,
Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
Greenman Great Britain
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Greenman »

I did some work last year on the targets using my SE6 SCT. I used sidereal tracking it gave me around 3 minutes before the planet went to the limit of the FOV. That is plenty of frames (depending upon the FPS achieved) then reset the view and go again. You may want to consider adding an ADC to your setup (depending how low the targets are in you location). Ideally need to be above say 30 declination to get good images
Cheers,

Tony.

Smart Scope: Dwarf II - Club and outreach work.

AP Refractor: Altair 72EDF Deluxe F6;1x & 0.8 Flatteners; Antares Versascope 60mm finder. ASIAir Pro.Li battery pack for grab & go.

Celestron AVX Mount; X-cel LX eyepieces & Barlows 2x 3x, ZWO 2” Filter holder,

Cameras: main DSO ASI533MC; DSO guide ASI120MM; Planetary ASI224MC; DSLR Canon EOS100 stock.

Filters: Astronomik IR cut; Optolong L-Pro; Optolong L-Enhance.

Binoculars: Celestron 15 x 70.

Latitude: 52.219853
Longitude: -1.034471
Accuracy: 5 m
Bortle 4 site. https://maps.google.com/?q=52.21985,-1.03447

JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

If you already have the UV / IR cut filter then that's all you need. I do not use any filters when I do planetary imaging. Your camera is sensitive enough, and your pixels are small enough, and your telescope is big enough that the images you can obtain will be very impressive.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

XCalRocketMan United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by XCalRocketMan »

I agree with Jay Tee. But, the most important thing you need is a steady atmosphere. Go for it.
Scopes Celestron EdgeHD-11; William Optics GT102; William Optics ZS61; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Mounts AP1100GTO mount w/APCCpro; iOptron iEQ30 Pro; Criterion Dynamax-8 SCT
Lenses Hyperstar-III; Celestron 0.7x FR; WO Flat/Reducer 0.8x
Guiding Celestron OAG w/ASI174mm mini; WO 50mm; Orion ST80
Cameras and Filters ZWO2600mm Pro w/Optolong 3nm NB and RGB; ZWOASI1600mm Pro (ZWO LRGB and Astrodon Ha-5nm, Oiii-3nm, Sii-5nm), QHY10, Canon 50D; ASI174mm mini; ASI462MC; ASI120MC
Misc Moonlite focuser on Edge - Feather-Touch focuser on GT102; ZWO EAF on ZS61; ZWO 2" and 31mm FWs; Kendrick Dew System, Temp-est Fans
Software NINA; PHD; APT; BYE; PI; APP; PSP; Registax; FireCapture; SharpCap
Blog at: SkyAndRockets
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by lostone »

sdbodin wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:15 am I just looked at the published response curve, and it seems that a good IR cut filter is needed for true colors. Otherwise, I suspect, that the planet colors will be rather muddy.

Some people like to image in the IR and that is just fine, but what color is an invisible light?? BW seems fine to me. So maybe an IR pass, visible cut filter would be a second choice.

Just thoughts,
Steve
Thanks, I have an IDAS LPS-D3 that may work, I'll give it a try especially since the moon will be so bright.

Mark.

Accessories: Moonlite Nitecrawler WR30, WR35, Eagle 3&4 Pro, QHY CFW3/7 Filterwheel, QHY Polemaster,
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by lostone »

Greenman wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:09 am I did some work last year on the targets using my SE6 SCT. I used sidereal tracking it gave me around 3 minutes before the planet went to the limit of the FOV. That is plenty of frames (depending upon the FPS achieved) then reset the view and go again. You may want to consider adding an ADC to your setup (depending how low the targets are in you location). Ideally need to be above say 30 declination to get good images
Thanks, I'll try sidereal first, if that's too fast or slow I'll try lunar and solar. the 30 degree isn't a problem, Items are normaly 30+ before they clear the neighbors roof and my front trees LOL. Makes for shorter imaging time facing south. btw, I do have an ADC, forgot to mention it. Bought it before all my failed attemps at mars this past year

Mark E.