Has this happened to others?

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Capt. Midnight
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Has this happened to others?

Post by Capt. Midnight »

Before I started studying astronomy earlier this year, I didn’t even think that a binocular would be helpful, or that other planets were visible from Earth. I probably looked at Jupiter a million times and said to myself: “pfffft… Just another star …” :lol:
MistrBadgr United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Has this happened to others?

Post by MistrBadgr »

I have had people ask me about some bright star they saw, which they had not seen before, and wondered what it was. Most of the time, by their description and placement, I can tell them what it is. Generally, it will be either Jupiter, Venus, or Mars. The answer back from them will normally be something like< "Really! That is great!" or something similar. :)
Bill Steen
Many small scopes, plus a Lightbridge 12, LX 70-8R,6R,6M
Many eyepieces, just not really expensive ones.
Ozypic
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Ozypic »

Yes I've showed all my kids The Moon ,Jupiter , Saturn and Mars. Its pretty hard not to get a little excited when you first look at jupiter and realise that its got those moons floating around it and you can see some bands of colour. And look at Saturn , wow it really does have those ring thingies ...
I know I'll never understand it all and I just dont care. Its all just been put there for us to enjoy... I love that some people just have to understand how it all works ,but me ... well im just happy its there..
Enjoy ! Phill
Phill. Dreaming of Clear Skys .... :D :D :D
SCOPE : Skywatcher 120X600 ST Achromatic Refractor. 
EP's : 25mm & 10mm Plossl , Celestron 8/24mm Zoom EP,
Filters : Solar filter, Badder Fringe Killer & Moon/Skyglow. 
MOUNT : Skywatcher Star Discovery goto Mount.
CAMERAS : ZWO 120 asi MC. / Sony HX400V 50X Zoom.
Binoculars : Saxon 10x50
delgado39
Earth Ambassador

Post by delgado39 »

MistrBadgr wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:42 pm I have had people ask me about some bright star they saw, which they had not seen before, and wondered what it was. Most of the time, by their description and placement, I can tell them what it is. Generally, it will be either Jupiter, Venus, or Mars. The answer back from them will normally be something like< "Really! That is great!" or something similar. :)
This has happened to me a number of times when folks pointed to a bright object. Its pretty cool seeing their surprised look when I tell them it’s a planet. Brings the cosmos closer to them.

- Reuben
Scopes: TAK128, C9.25, 10" Teeter Dob
Mounts: CGEM, AZ PRO, DSV3