What filters work for direct observation?

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: What filters work for direct observation?

Post by notFritzArgelander »

mikemarotta wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:51 am
notFritzArgelander wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:18 pm
notFritzArgelander wrote: Whoever you are referring to more likely has a life that is quite pleasant and gratifying to them which is simply not understood by you. The pairing of "nothing personal" with the personal attack "someone without a life" is a hilarious example of self contradiction. Logic jokes are a genre of humor that is quite fertile ;)
I am not sure how been passionate about astronomy and overdoing it is "no life". What is the life then, Facebook and watching TV? :lol:
All that one can see on this board is the passion and effort devoted to astronomy. Maybe there is a glimmer of other passions in off topic areas. Speaking only for myself I also spend considerable time making music, lactic ranked user with 5000 posts and 9000 hearts is just someone without a life.
Well, I was not thinking of this board at all, or of a couple others that are even smaller. It was the one big board.

What I like about The Sky Searchers is specifically that it is a smaller community with a dedicated core of writers. The sociology of large groups is different than that for small societies. I just did not keep that in the front of my mind at the time. It was my own failing that I took a set of comments prima facie without searching further. As I said, what happens often is that the first opinion sets the stage. You don't get a lot of discussion back and forth. Though, on that note, in this thread, I see that we do have some differences of opinion based on individual experiences.

What I mean by "nothing personal" was just specifically "not referring to anyone here" i.e., present company excluded. I would have made the same exception just for example on the SPA board. It's all very subdued there. As it is here.
I like the fact that differences of opinion are valued here. Observing is a very individual effort due to physiological differences and preferences. One of the healthy things about this venue as opposed to others is that one doesn't often see the need establish one view as correct. It's why I contributed nothing or almost nothing to other places and put more effort here.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

mikemarotta wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:51 am Though, on that note, in this thread, I see that we do have some differences of opinion based on individual experiences.
Like with EPs observers have their own preferences in filters. However, if we are talking about nebula filters for visual observing it comes down to four types of filters: broadband (Lumicon DeepSky, Baader Moon and Sky Glow, etc), narrowband (Lumicon UHC, Orion UltraBlock), OIII and H-beta. As you notice from discussion above, some prefer OIII and H-Beta, some UHC and OIII. If you get all four you will cover all the bases. :D Conveniently, manual filter wheels have 5 positions (one for filter-free observing).
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

Ylem wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:08 pm Dug my filters out, besides the Mars, Moon and coloured ones, I have 2 Lumicons, the Olll and a Deep Sky.
Thanks for the recommendations. I went to the Farpoint website and reviewed the product line. I captured some screenshots for my own records. They are on the wishlist.

Best Regards,
Mike M.
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
j.gardavsky Germany
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by j.gardavsky »

Bigzmey wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:17 pm ...
I hear you Bill. Messing with filters in the dark could be annoying in particular when you have a manual mount and the target is rotating away. My answer to that is a filter wheel. Once you make it part of your setup changing filters is fast and pleasant. It also make blinking much easier to.

Andrey,

glad to see, that we both do have two filter wheels. And we both know why.
My both filter wheels are ATIK, what are yours?

JG
6" F/5 Sky-Watcher achro, 2" BBHS Star Diagonal, 2" zenith prism, 1.25" Takahashi prism
Leica 82mm APO Televid
Eyepieces: Docter UWA; Leica B WW and WW Asph. Zoom; Leica HC Plan S and L, monocentric; Pentax SMC XW, O-, XO; Tak MC O, Carl Zeiss B WW, and Pl, E-Pl, S-Pl, W-Pl;
Swarovski SW; Baader Symmetric Diascope Edition; Nikon NAV SW, ; TMB supermonocentric; Rodenstock; Vixen HR; TV Delos
Filters: Astrodon, Astronomik, Baader, Balzers, Zeiss West and East, Lumicon
Binoculars (7x42 up to 15x85): Docter Nobilem, Leica Ultravid, Nikon Astroluxe, Swarovski EL Swarovision; BA8 (Kunming Optical)
j.gardavsky Germany
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by j.gardavsky »

Out of the drawers:

2"
Meade Narrowband Nebular filter #91ON , PN 102947 with a printout from a spectrophotometer, not just hand written numpers on a blue box
OIII 10nm Baader #2458396 (from the first manufactured series)
CLS Astronomik
H-Alpha 6nm CCD Astronomik # 0100001316
H-Alpha 35nm CCD Baader #2458381

1.25"
OIII 10nm Baader #2458395, pair
OIII 12nm Astronomik Profi, S/N 000892 (from the first manufactured series)
OIII 5nm Astrodon S/N 37 A/4 (from the first manufactured series) supervised by Don Goldman

H-Beta 8.5nm Baader #2458425, pair
H-Beta Astronomik Profi S/N 000200 and 000234 pair, (from the first manufactured series)

UHC Astronomik 002935 (standard), 003364 (Profi), pair
UHC-S Baader #2458275

390nm - 500nm KP 500 Carl Zeiss West
380nm - 480nm Balzers (Liechtenstein)
blue(RGB)CCD Baader #2458470B, pair

Neodymium Moon & Skyglow Baader #2458305A pair
420nm - 680nm UV/IR block Baader #2459207A
470nm blue bright color filter Baader #2458303
470nm #47 blue dark color filter TS (Taiwan)
500nm blue/green color filter Carl Zeiss West
540nm Solar Continuum 10nm passband Baader #2458390
green(RGBB)CCD Baader #2458470G
#8 yellow long pass filter TS (Taiwan), pair
yellow long pass filter 495nm Baader #2458301

H-Alpha 35nm CCD Baader #2458381

Leitz long pass filters (Kantenfilter) mounted on sledges:
K 430nm, K 460nm K 510nm, K 530nm, K570nm, K580nm, K590nm, K610nm

Narrow passband filters for optics testing:
440nm Balzers (Liechtenstein)
460nm Balzers (Liechtenstein)
620nm Balzers (Liechtenstein)
436nm Eppendorfer
578nm Eppendorfer
623nm Eppendorfer
562.8nm Heliopan (Japan)
405nm Carl Zeiss Jena
436nm Carl Zeiss Jena

One special order I have placed, will be manufactured by Astronomik, and delivered in September.

JG
6" F/5 Sky-Watcher achro, 2" BBHS Star Diagonal, 2" zenith prism, 1.25" Takahashi prism
Leica 82mm APO Televid
Eyepieces: Docter UWA; Leica B WW and WW Asph. Zoom; Leica HC Plan S and L, monocentric; Pentax SMC XW, O-, XO; Tak MC O, Carl Zeiss B WW, and Pl, E-Pl, S-Pl, W-Pl;
Swarovski SW; Baader Symmetric Diascope Edition; Nikon NAV SW, ; TMB supermonocentric; Rodenstock; Vixen HR; TV Delos
Filters: Astrodon, Astronomik, Baader, Balzers, Zeiss West and East, Lumicon
Binoculars (7x42 up to 15x85): Docter Nobilem, Leica Ultravid, Nikon Astroluxe, Swarovski EL Swarovision; BA8 (Kunming Optical)

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

j.gardavsky wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:04 am
Bigzmey wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:17 pm ...
I hear you Bill. Messing with filters in the dark could be annoying in particular when you have a manual mount and the target is rotating away. My answer to that is a filter wheel. Once you make it part of your setup changing filters is fast and pleasant. It also make blinking much easier to.

Andrey,

glad to see, that we both do have two filter wheels. And we both know why.
My both filter wheels are ATIK, what are yours?

JG
Hi JG. Those are Astromania brand and loaded with DSO filters. I also have a 3d wheel from Solomark loaded with planetary/Lunar filters which is switched in as necessary. I bet your wheels and mine are made on the same factory. :D
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
WilliamPaolini United States of America
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 9

TSS Awards Badges

Post by WilliamPaolini »

Bigzmey wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:17 pm

Yes...I know...just been hesitant to add yet another accessory on the scope. When I am planetary observing I have no issue with messing with filters as I approach planetary with a different mindset than DSO or general observing. So if I get a filter wheel would need a 2" one and one that could hold at least 4 filters. I was thinking at one time a filter slide, but those I have seen that are reasonably priced (not an accessory I want to spend too much on) have the filters exposed that are not in the light path. That is a non-starter for me as dew would quickly form on them if not covered in the winter months here. So guess a wheel it will have to be. Have any recommendations?
-Bill

U.S.A.F. Veteran - Visual Amateur Astronomer since 1966 - Fully Retired since 2019
8" f/5 Newt - Lunt 152 f/7.9 - TSA 102 f/8 - Vixen 81S f/7.7 - P.S.T. - Pentax 65ED II - Nikon 12x50 AE
Pentax XWs - Baader Morpheus - Takahashi LEs - Edmund RKEs - BST Starguiders - 6ZAO-II/5XO/4Abbe
PM and Email communications always welcomed
ARock
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by ARock »

I have had the colored filters for a while, unused until I used a couple of them for the Mars viewing last year. I have also used the yellow one for a yellow sun for solar projection/sun funnel.

For DSOs I only have the DGM NPB filter which allows little more than a OIII. I use it almost exclusively for Planetary Nebulae from my Bortle 7/8 skies. It made the PN NGC 2438 visible inside M46 with my 8" Dob.
It also improves the view slightly for M8 and M42 in my skies.

Other than that I have a variable polarizing filter for the Moon.
AR
Scopes: Zhumell Z8, Meade Adventure 80mm, Bushnell 1300x100 Goto Mak.
Mount: ES EXOS Nano EQ Mount, DIY Arduino+Stepper drives.
AP: 50mm guidescope, AR0130 based guidecam, Canon T3i, UHC filter.
EPs: ES82 18,11,6.7mm, Zhumell 30,9mm FJ Ortho 9mm, assorted plossls, Meade 2x S-F Barlow, DGM NPB filter.
Binos: Celestron Skymaster 15x70 (Albott tripod/monopod), Nikon Naturalist 7x35.

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

WilliamPaolini wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:00 pm
Bigzmey wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:17 pm

Yes...I know...just been hesitant to add yet another accessory on the scope. When I am planetary observing I have no issue with messing with filters as I approach planetary with a different mindset than DSO or general observing. So if I get a filter wheel would need a 2" one and one that could hold at least 4 filters. I was thinking at one time a filter slide, but those I have seen that are reasonably priced (not an accessory I want to spend too much on) have the filters exposed that are not in the light path. That is a non-starter for me as dew would quickly form on them if not covered in the winter months here. So guess a wheel it will have to be. Have any recommendations?
Astromania 2" 5 positions wheel works nicely for me. It sits on the 150ST frac in the photo above.

To save on the focuser travel I have removed 2" EP holder and connected the wheel straight to the 2" diagonal.

kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

I have an Orion O-III, Orion UltraBlock, DGM NPB, Baader HaB and Orion Sky Glow. I do not use them regularly because the vast majority of my observing time is spent galaxy hunting. That said, they are always in my case in the event I wish to use them.

As JG mentioned something like the UltraBlock or NPB (both narrow-band nebula filters) are good for trying to pick out H-II regions in a galaxy, or for emission nebulae in our own galaxy, as well as some planetary nebulae. The O-III reigns supreme in terms of SN remnants and planetary nebulae. But I also sometimes have compared the view of an emission nebula between a narrow-band and an O-III. They both work well on M42 and M43 for example, but they render the view differently. The HaB is useful, but for a more select and smaller group of object. For example, NGC 1499 the California Nebula in Perseus, is really helped with the HaB, as is the Horsehead Nebula in Orion.

Intersestinly, I have tried the Orion SKy Glow, a wide-band Light Pollution Reduction (LPR) filter, on various objects. It is not that effective visually at reducing the impact of sky glow, and the more light polluted one's location is the less effective it becomes. However, I have found that with some objects it can render them very subtly more apparent. But the improvement is so slight that many less experienced observers may not even notice the subtle contrast boost. I have seen this at both a Bortle 5 site as well as a Bortle 2. But again, it is so slight , and one would never see an object with an LPR filter that they can't see without it, as it simply is not a panacea for light pollution.

That is my experience, though as I said, I am not a regular filter user.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Very enlightening thread. My thanks to Mike for the OP and to all the respondents for context and insight.
Looks like I'm going shopping this morning.

Clear skies!
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)