Need help with collimation of my nexstar 130 telescope

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
quinnder1
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

Need help with collimation of my nexstar 130 telescope

Post by quinnder1 »

Hello, below i attached a image through my collimation eye piece, i have been messing around with it for awhile and this is the best i got it. but you will see that the white ring that indicates the center of the primary mirror is off by a bit, i am sure this is not good for the quality of my viewings. i do not know how to fix this, and i would appreciate any advice. thank you.

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Need help with collimation of my nexstar 130 telescope

Post by helicon »

Welcome to TSS Quinnder1! I'm sure some folks will be along to help answer your question.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Hi quinnder1,

Did you run out of screw threads preventing you from centering the mirror?
If so, you might have to back all three off and start over.

I haven’t touched my 130 SLT in awhile, but you are loosening the three taller knurled screws and adjusting the three wider and shorter knurled screws?
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
OzEclipse Australia
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OzEclipse »

Hi Quinnder1,

In the photo below, the outer white circle is on that I have drawn centred on the centre of the image of your collimating eyepiece. It should be concentric with the primary.

I think most of this can be fixed some minor adjustment of the secondary mirror.

Moving the secondary centres the image of the main mirror in the secondary mirror and centres your eye or the collimating cross in the centre. Moving the primary centres the black silhouette of the spider in the circular outline of the secondary.
collimating eyepiece.jpg
Collimating a Newtonian
https://joe-cali.com/astronomy/articles ... onian.html
Joe
Last edited by OzEclipse on Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amateur astronomer since 1978...................Web site : http://joe-cali.com/
Scopes: ATM 18" Dob, Vixen VC200L, ATM 6"f7, Stellarvue 102ED, Saxon ED80, WO M70 ED, Orion 102 Maksutov, ST80.
Mounts: Takahashi EM-200, iOptron iEQ45, Push dobsonian with Nexus DSC, three homemade EQ's.
Eyepieces: TV Naglers 31, 17, 12, 7; Denkmeier D21 & D14; Pentax XW10, XW5, Unitron 40mm Kellner, Meade Or 25,12
Cameras : Pentax K1, K5, K01, K10D / VIDEO CAMS : TacosBD, Lihmsec.
Cam/guider/controllers: Lacerta MGEN 3, SW Synguider, Simulation Curriculum SkyFi 3+Sky safari
Memberships Astronomical Association of Queensland; RASNZ Occultations Section; Single Exposure Milky Way Facebook Group (Moderator) (12k members)
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

Joe beat me to it. Adjust the secondary mirror as he states to get the inner, lighter-colored circle (The primary) centered on the larger, darker-colored circle which is the shadow or silhouette of the secondary mirror. From there it should be very minor adjustments to the primary mirror. I'm not familiar with the configuration of the collimation and set screws but follow Jim's advice on making adjustments to the primary. make sure you are not confusing the set screws with adjustment screws.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com