Finding the Astronomy League's Double Stars

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
MistrBadgr United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Finding the Astronomy League's Double Stars

Post by MistrBadgr »

Attached is a copy of a document I put together several years ago about finding the objects in the Astronomy League's Double Star List. Even though a computer guided scope can be used for this double star program, my idea is to create a different challenge list for beginners that live in more light polluted areas. Even though the Messier List is traditional for a "right of passage" challenge, some people simply cannot find many of the objects in their observing environment.

I found all if the objects in the double star list from my back yard, at a location that showed in what showed to be a bright red zone, second only to a white zone on the light pollution charts of the time. I used a standard 70mm f/10 refractor. Two of the objects were difficult enough for me that it took a run through a second season of early evening observation for those particular objects.

I tried to include a few of the little tricks I had been told or had read that helped me with learning my way around the night sky. I give a date for each object, when it showed on a computer star program, to be at zenith at 10 PM standard time. The idea is to give you a general reference for position at a date and time to observe the object. With differences in sunset times, due to latitude, and a wish to observe the object at a location other straight overhead, a little experience can show you how much you need to adjust the date to move the object either east or west at the time of observation. In general, a change of a month moves the object 30 degrees in the sky, or a two hour change on the given date will move the object that same thirty degrees east or west.

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask. Also, even though the document has been gone over several times by different people, there is always the possibility of a mistake being made. If you find anything like that, please let me know!

I hope you find the document and the activity enjoyable, if you choose to do it.

Best Regards,
Attachments
Finding Astronomy Leagues Double Stars.pdf
(241.5 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
Last edited by MistrBadgr on Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Steen
Many small scopes, plus a Lightbridge 12, LX 70-8R,6R,6M
Many eyepieces, just not really expensive ones.
KingNothing13 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Finding the Astronomy League's Double Stars

Post by KingNothing13 »

Interesting, thanks Bill.

AL has some really good lists, and you do not need to be a member to access them!
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

MistrBadgr wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:53 am ... my idea is to create a different challenge list for beginners that live in more light polluted areas.
Thanks! I downloaded and made a copy, also. I have it under "/Astronomical League" and under "/Binary Star Project." You have done a great service to the hobby. This deserved wider circulation.
With a 90 mm DS-2090, I used to routinely look at Polaris to see if I could see Polaris B. I used
this as a guide to what the sky was going to be like. If I could see B clearly, then the night was
going to be good. If I could not see it at all, then I did not expect much for the evening.
When I started using a 70mm, I tried many times to see Polaris B from my back yard, just like I
did with the 90mm. Time after time I could not. Finally, I had perfect conditions, including
talking my neighbor into turning off the very bright security light on the front of his garage. I
was able to make out Polaris B using averted vision.
I have not been able to split Polaris with my 70mm. I can with the 102 on a good night. I live on the south side of Austin. So, the City washes out a lot of the northern sky. Anyway, your very thorough and clear notes will be helpful to me.
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

KingNothing13 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:08 am AL has some really good lists, and you do not need to be a member to access them!
They have good guidebooks at reasonable prices, also. Anyone can buy them. There is no member log in on their website. They invite the public. I was a member through my local club and I recently joined on my own as a supporting member.

The only thing about their programs is that nice as the target lists are, you do not get any mentoring and are pretty much on your own. So, I really appreciate Mister Badger's work.
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Thanks Bill! I'm sandwiched between Washington DC and Baltimore MD so I need all the help I can get. Thanks for the list, I'll try a few of these targets next time the clouds break.
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
MistrBadgr United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by MistrBadgr »

I just made a change in what I said in the above introduction to the document. I first wrote that two months was a change in position of about 30 degrees. That is incorrect. It is one month for 30 degrees. (360 divided by 12 equals 30). However, two hours gives a change of 30 degrees. You may need to move an object using the date or time in order to get it out of a city light dome or to move it to a better position to view. I used a position straight overhead for a start, simply because readers may need to go either way.

Michael, I had trouble with Polaris B as well. The Tulsa light dome curves around and just catches it. I simply started checking for it every time I went out for several months and finally had a perfect night and saw it. Once I moved to a darker location, that one became easier. You might be able to get that one if you go to a darker location sometime and make a point of checking it before moving on to other things. I have a daughter that is in the process of moving from the South side of Austin to Fairfax, Virginia, and a sister that lives in Round Rock. You are definitely in a well lit area.

Michael and Gary, you are both very welcome. I hope you can have a lot of fun with it! :)

Best Regards,
Bill Steen
Many small scopes, plus a Lightbridge 12, LX 70-8R,6R,6M
Many eyepieces, just not really expensive ones.
lostone United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by lostone »

Thanks, Gives me something to look at when the darn clouds go away
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most! :tease:

Scope: Explorer Scientific 127CF, Askar FR600, Planewave CDK 14""
Guide Scope & Camera: ASI 174, ZWO OAG-L
Camera: QHY 268 Mono, QHY 600 Mono
Mount: Planewave L-350, Skywatcher EQ8-Rh Pro, Losmandy G11
Accessories: Moonlite Nitecrawler WR30, WR35, Eagle 3&4 Pro, QHY CFW3/7 Filterwheel, QHY Polemaster,
Software: N.I.N.A., CdC, Planewave 3, Pixinsight
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Thanks for providing the info Bill!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N