My telescope setup

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Jnicholes United States of America
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

My telescope setup

Post by Jnicholes »

I fixed my telescope, and as I promised, here is a video I made of my telescope setup I use for astrophotography and viewing.

And here are photos I took with this same setup.
M13 Hercules globular cluster
M13 Hercules globular cluster
Ring Nebula
Ring Nebula
I hope this answers a lot of questions about my setup.

Jared
Celestron Nexstar 8SE Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount
Iphone 11 Nightcap app Camera

"Our minds are finite, and yet even in these circumstances of finitude we are surrounded by possibilities that are infinite, and the purpose of life is to grasp as much as we can out of that infinitude."

Alfred North Whitehead
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Re: My telescope setup

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Good to see you telescope is repaired, good luck with the projects :)
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

Jnicholes wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:45 pm I fixed my telescope, and as I promised, here is a video I made of my telescope setup I use for astrophotography and viewing.
Thanks, Jared. The snapshots of M13 are great and I was most encouraged by your views of the Sun. I also have a solar filter and have viewed the Sun, but I have not taken any pictures with my cellphone yet. I will try that soon thanks to you.
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
Jnicholes United States of America
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Jnicholes »

mikemarotta wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:31 am
Jnicholes wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:45 pm I fixed my telescope, and as I promised, here is a video I made of my telescope setup I use for astrophotography and viewing.
Thanks, Jared. The snapshots of M13 are great and I was most encouraged by your views of the Sun. I also have a solar filter and have viewed the Sun, but I have not taken any pictures with my cellphone yet. I will try that soon thanks to you.
Glad I could encourage you!
Celestron Nexstar 8SE Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope
25mm plossl Eyepiece
Goto mount
Iphone 11 Nightcap app Camera

"Our minds are finite, and yet even in these circumstances of finitude we are surrounded by possibilities that are infinite, and the purpose of life is to grasp as much as we can out of that infinitude."

Alfred North Whitehead
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Jared. I am glad that you have your telescope repaired and back in use now and I enjoyed your video too. These are very nice images of M13 and M57 using afocal with your cell phone camera from your dark Idaho skies. Thanks for sharing this with us Jared, and keep up the great work.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Baurice
Vendor
Vendor

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baurice »

I used compact digital cameras afocally but have never got on with camera 'phones and the 'phone on my latest camera is awful. Good thing I have a DSLR. I would like to get another cheap compact, as my DSLR does not work well afocally with my PST, although I have had the odd half-decent photo.
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

I would take the red dot finder off while doing solar. Not sure if that little plastic lens will magnify and concentrate the heat behind it or not. better safe than sorry when dealing with solar imaging.
Otherwise, nice setup.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

The Telrad is not supposed to be used during solar viewing as it may damage the reticle, I was bored one day and made a solar shield for mine from plastic strips and a #15 welders glass.
IMG_2631.png
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
MistrBadgr United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by MistrBadgr »

Thanks, Jared! I have been trying with a similar rig on a six inch reflector...no good results. The night cap software looks to be the necessary key that I did not have. The pictures you have been taking at night are what I have been trying to do. I am really interested in visual astronomy. But, when I run across something interesting, I like the idea of being able to attach my phone and take a picture that looks like what I was viewing through the eyepiece. :)
Bill Steen
Many small scopes, plus a Lightbridge 12, LX 70-8R,6R,6M
Many eyepieces, just not really expensive ones.
StarBru United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by StarBru »

Thanks Jared! I enjoyed your video of your equipment, the photos of M13 and the Ring Nebula, and seeing the sun with the sun spots.
:cool:
Bruce

Refractors: Meade AR-5 127mm f/9.3, Meade ST-80 f/5 and Meade 60mm f/12, Jason 60mm f/15 #313, Jason 60mm f/12 #306 S7, Bushnell Sky Chief III 60mm f/15.
Reflectors/Catadioptrics: Meade 10" F/4 Schmidt-Newtonian, Galileo 120mm f/8.3 Newtonian, Meade 2045D 4" f/10 SCT, Meade ETX-90EC f/13.8 & Sarblue 60mm f/12.5 Maksutov-Cassegrains.
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro & Meade LXD55 Equatorial mounts, ES Twilight II and Meade 2102 ALT/AZ mounts, a modified 10" SkyQuest Dobsonian mount, various 60mm EQ mounts.
Misc: Celestron 20x80mm binoculars, Revolution II Imager/accessories, & lots of optical accessories/eyepieces.
Projects: 8" f/2.9 and 65mm f/10 reflectors, Dobson-style binocular mirror mount.