Listing your equipment in the signature

We all started somewhere! We are a friendly bunch! Most of your questions can be posted here, but if you are interested in Astrophotography please use the new Beginner Astrophotography forum. The response time will be much better.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Listing your equipment in the signature

Post by Bigzmey »

When I started visiting astronomy forums I thought that people list their equipment to show off. Well, yes there is that :D, but that's only one of the reasons. More importantly it makes easier for other people to help you with equipment issues you have, advise you on the next purchase and to prevent you from buying redundant or unnecessary equipment.

So, don't be shy, list with pride what you have! At the end it is not the equipment matters, but how well you use it and our passion for the skies.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Listing your equipment in the signature

Post by Ylem »

Just don't give your partner your password and you won't get in trouble :lol:
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Ylem wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:17 pm Just don't give your partner your password and you won't get in trouble :lol:
As long as there are no prices you are fine. :D
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

To late! Mine knows how much it all costs but then I know how much the collection of guitars/ amplifiers and such cost :)
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Andrey. I agree with you completely. A beginner will look our lists and learn 3 things:
1. They will see what telescopes are quite popular and useful.
2. They will realize that no one type of telescope optics or focal length will do everything the best.
3. They will soon learn that the number of telescopes you really want = n+1, where n is the number that you already have. :lol:
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:40 pm To late! Mine knows how much it all costs but then I know how much the collection of guitars/ amplifiers and such cost :)
So, you are a happy couple then. :D

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Of the equipment listed in my signature the two eyeballs are certainly the most important!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

Bigzmey wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:21 pm When I started visiting astronomy forums I thought that people list their equipment to show off. Well, yes there is that :D, but ... it makes easier for other people to help you ...
I think that it helps with social context a couple of ways. After a while, it was easier to understand the deep-sky people and, of course, the astro-photographers. Also - with some exceptions notable - instrumentation tends to correlate with experience in the hobby. People with more investment tend to have learned more over the years.

(Personally, I lean toward the arrogance of false humility.)
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

Well I suspect that a lot here will run out of space :lol:
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

I've only listed the gear that is actually complete and in good working order. Otherwise ...

Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
WilliamPaolini United States of America
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 9

TSS Awards Badges

Post by WilliamPaolini »

Bigzmey wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:21 pm When I started visiting astronomy forums I thought that people list their equipment to show off. Well, yes there is that :D, but that's only one of the reasons. More importantly it makes easier for other people to help you with equipment issues you have, advise you on the next purchase and to prevent you from buying redundant or unnecessary equipment. ...

Very true. And it also gives readers of your posts some context as to the types of equipment you are familiar with and most use to help them better understand your perspectives on things. It also sometimes attracts others to you who see you have equipment they are thinking of purchasing so you may then get PMs for your advice. Overall it is very handy for the online community.
-Bill

U.S.A.F. Veteran - Visual Amateur Astronomer since 1966 - Fully Retired since 2019
8" f/5 Newt - Lunt 152 f/7.9 - TSA 102 f/8 - Vixen 81S f/7.7 - P.S.T. - Pentax 65ED II - Nikon 12x50 AE
Pentax XWs - Baader Morpheus - Takahashi LEs - Edmund RKEs - BST Starguiders - 6ZAO-II/5XO/4Abbe
PM and Email communications always welcomed
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

I think that it is interesting that we list the optical tubes but not the oculars. Hmmm.... maybe I'll change mine.

Also - a note to the moderators - on other boards, they have space limits on the signatures. Here, the rules are generous and I appreciate that. I confess, however, that unless someone has trule piqued my interest with a post, I tend to see only the first few lines, rather than deciphering a long block of alphanumeric abbreviations, initializations, and acronyms.

That said, I did just google Gary's Bushnell because I never saw an entry like that before.
Untitled.jpg
"Fascinating."
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
KingNothing13 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

mikemarotta wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:30 pm I think that it is interesting that we list the optical tubes but not the oculars. Hmmm.... maybe I'll change mine.
I've always had my EP's in mine. :P
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

John Fitzgerald United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Fitzgerald »

I'd rather not advertise anything. Not that I have much that anyone would want. Just a bit careful.
Double and multiple star observer. Over 3,500 unique pairs logged.

No good deed goes unpunished.
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

KingNothing13 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:39 pm I've always had my EP's in mine. :P
Nice array! And I note that you match your oculars to your objectives.
Brett 1.jpg
I have a question about the Kellner oculars. I will post it later in the Eyepieces forum.
Michael E. Marotta
KingNothing13 United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

mikemarotta wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:12 pm
KingNothing13 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:39 pm I've always had my EP's in mine. :P
Nice array! And I note that you match your oculars to your objectives.

I have a question about the Kellner oculars. I will post it later in the Eyepieces forum.
I do that mainly because the Kellners came with the Orion, and I am not going to use them with the AD10, but I occasionally will use the ES ones with the Orion. But I rarely use either right now, and the Orion even less!

I know < 0 about EP's - but I know someone can answer questions there.
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

John Fitzgerald wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:28 pm I'd rather not advertise anything. Not that I have much that anyone would want. Just a bit careful.
I've heard that about other things like posting on FB: "I'm in South Carolina!" "For a week!" "There's nobody at my house!" "My dog is at a kennel!"
Or: "These are my kids' names, schools, and pictures!" "They're all big fans of Kinko the Klown, except for Becky who loves toy horses!"

Ok, apples and oranges, but if one limits what one advertises, that's ok by me. Everybody has a different comfort level.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
StarBru United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by StarBru »

Lady Fraktor wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:40 pm To late! Mine knows how much it all costs but then I know how much the collection of guitars/ amplifiers and such cost :)
My wife must be a saint! Not only do I have a collection of astronomical and musical equipment, but I have a huge collection of vintage computer equipment as well! She has no hobbies at all! (I have enough for both of us!) Not sure if she knows how much it all costs.......... :Think:
Bruce

Refractors: Meade AR-5 127mm f/9.3, Meade ST-80 f/5 and Meade 60mm f/12, Jason 60mm f/15 #313, Jason 60mm f/12 #306 S7, Bushnell Sky Chief III 60mm f/15.
Reflectors/Catadioptrics: Meade 10" F/4 Schmidt-Newtonian, Galileo 120mm f/8.3 Newtonian, Meade 2045D 4" f/10 SCT, Meade ETX-90EC f/13.8 & Sarblue 60mm f/12.5 Maksutov-Cassegrains.
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro & Meade LXD55 Equatorial mounts, ES Twilight II and Meade 2102 ALT/AZ mounts, a modified 10" SkyQuest Dobsonian mount, various 60mm EQ mounts.
Misc: Celestron 20x80mm binoculars, Revolution II Imager/accessories, & lots of optical accessories/eyepieces.
Projects: 8" f/2.9 and 65mm f/10 reflectors, Dobson-style binocular mirror mount.
lostone United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by lostone »

Bingo! But to be honest, I've never and anyone really ask me about my gear. I have had 1 or 2 people ask me questions about my Nitecrawlers, but that's about it.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most! :tease:

Scope: Explorer Scientific 127CF, Askar FR600, Planewave CDK 14""
Guide Scope & Camera: ASI 174, ZWO OAG-L
Camera: QHY 268 Mono, QHY 600 Mono
Mount: Planewave L-350, Skywatcher EQ8-Rh Pro, Losmandy G11
Accessories: Moonlite Nitecrawler WR30, WR35, Eagle 3&4 Pro, QHY CFW3/7 Filterwheel, QHY Polemaster,
Software: N.I.N.A., CdC, Planewave 3, Pixinsight
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

I don't think, listing your gear here in the signature, gives any useful info to the crooks. But it can be quite helpful if you ask for some advise. Like in the case of @Butterfly Maiden's scope.
That same policy is encouraged in many car sites and computer sites too.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.